Traditional Image of Judas

[quote=Anathemas]Can any Christians please explain to me the figure of Judas? If Christ knew that Judas would betray him, doesn’t that present the scenario of Judas having no free will? If so, why is he traditionally presented as the “betrayer” and thus, languishing in hell. If he had no free will, and is in hell for it, doesn’t it make sense (philosophically) that he’s suffered more for humanity’s sins than even Christ? Who only had to endure terrestrial punishment? Either case, God must be unjust if Judas is indeed in Hell, as has traditionally been portrayed.

Please explain this philosophical inconsistency.
[/quote]

How do you respond to this? :slight_smile:

I underlined the sentence that contains the main error. Jesus’ knowledge of what Judas would choose to do in no way means Judas did not have free will (the freedom to choose his actions). **Knowing what someone will do is not the same thing as making them do it. ** Judas chose to betray Jesus.

Nita

**Originally Posted by Anathemas
Can any Christians please explain to me the figure of Judas? If Christ knew that Judas would betray him, doesn’t that present the scenario of Judas having no free will? If so, why is he traditionally presented as the “betrayer” and thus, languishing in hell. If he had no free will, and is in hell for it, doesn’t it make sense (philosophically) that he’s suffered more for humanity’s sins than even Christ? Who only had to endure terrestrial punishment? Either case, God must be unjust if Judas is indeed in Hell, as has traditionally been portrayed.

Please explain this philosophical inconsistency.

How do you respond to this? **

Why single out Judas? God knows what all of us will do. Are you saying that means none of us have free will??

The Church does not make any pronouncements on who is or is not in hell – even Judas Iscariot. For all anyone knows, he might be in heaven.

Right. In fact, because God is outside of time, He sees all events (past, present and future from our perspective) at once; we humans see only the present in this way. And seeing someone do something is not the same thing as making them do it.

“It’s all in Lewis, all in Lewis: bless me, what do they teach them at these schools!" :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.