Traditional Latin Mass Sites That Are Okay With Rome?

I am very interested in the Traditional Latin Mass, complete with Gregorian chant and veils, the priest facing away, kneeling to receive the blessed sacrament, all of it. I want to learn more about it, but at all costs to avoid schismatic groups such as the Society of Saint Pius X.

I have found a site called Una Voce (which was linked to from the homepage of iSacred Heart Parish in Dunn, NC. This parish is in the same diocese (Raleigh, North Carolina) as the parish I go to, but is several hours away from here so I have not been to their Tridentine Mass yet, although I plan to.

Does anyone know of any groups or organizations not in schism that are pulling for a restoration of the Traditional Latin Mass? Is there anything we lay people can do to encourage its return to the Catholic churches in America?

Thanks,
Cherub

institute-christ-king.org/

Cherub, here is a link to an order that is not in any way, shape or form in schism with Rome or ever have been.

See www.eclesiadei.com for a listing of Churches that have valid Tridentine Masses.

Una Voce is supposed to be very helpful in advising on how to get a TLM in your community but it is a slow process and not just available on request.

Even if your Bishop is willing, there are so many factors to consider before it can be held

Where to have it

Who can celebrate it

Who will train the altar boys

Is the Church set up in such a way to make celebrating a TLM feasible

Etc. Etc. Etc.

One person can’t do this. You need a group of interested people who will contribute time and energy to getting it going.

Thank you for the link, Irenka. I have heard very good things about Institute of Christ the King before. This gives some hope certainly, even though their presence in the United States seems very small (and very far away from me :frowning: )

Thank you, too deogratias, for the ecclesiadei link. I have seen this before. I wonder why the indult Tridentine Mass at the Dunn parish is not listed here – but I do know that that is the only one in my entire state at this time.

I suppose my really big issue is, if the Vatican II documents never said to completely cease using the Latin Mass, and it was only an indult from Rome that allows them to be in the vernacular in the U.S., then why did all of the U.S. churches completely abandon the Latin Mass? It seems to me it has posed many new problems in my state at least where we have a huge hispanic population, that now every Catholic parish I have seen has to have a separate Spanish Mass each week, and so on. It seems counter productive, when most of these people would easily understand the universal Latin Mass anyway. Hardly any of the priests we have know Spanish, and this means we have to have an extra Spanish-speaking priest at most parishes in addition to the main priest(s).

Thank you, too deogratias, for the ecclesiadei link. I have seen this before. I wonder why the indult Tridentine Mass at the Dunn parish is not listed here – but I do know that that is the only one in my entire state at this time

."

It is too new - here in Phx we have had the Indult Mass since June and it is not yet listed either. But if you think the Mass you wish to attend is approved anywhere, you can just check with the Diocese office and they will tell you yea or nay.

I suppose my really big issue is, if the Vatican II documents never said to completely cease using the Latin Mass, and it was only an indult from Rome that allows them to be in the vernacular in the U.S., then why did all of the U.S. churches completely abandon the Latin Mass?

Oops you have some scrambled facts here.

1. Vatican II did not abolish the use of Latin and in fact encouraged it in the New Mass.

2. No Indult exists that says the U.S. can say the the Mass in the vernacular - all Masses in accordance with the 1970 Missal were to have some parts in the vernacular and some in Latin but the Latin has just “drifted” away.

3. What is necessary is to say the Mass in accordance with the 1962 Missal is the Bishop’s permission - this is the Mass by Indult and this is always in Latin.

It seems to me it has posed many new problems in my state at least where we have a huge hispanic population, that now every Catholic parish I have seen has to have a separate Spanish Mass each week, and so on. It seems counter productive, when most of these people would easily understand the universal Latin Mass anyway. Hardly any of the priests we have know Spanish, and this means we have to have an extra Spanish-speaking priest at most parishes in addition to the main priest(s).

Well that may or may not be true but what did exist before was that many countrys had Missals in Latin on one side of the page and the language of that country on the other side - as was the case in this country and still is with the 1962 Missal. The Mass was said in the Univervasal language of the Church (and true Latin is still the official language of the Church) but for most, they relied on the translations.

It may be of interest to some that there is no Tridentine Mass in Mexico. The problem with the Missal being used in any language in some countries is that many of the population may be illeterate.

fssp.org

Good information, and I’m very thankful to hear it, but now you understand how even more confused I am. If Latin was supposed to be used still in the New Mass, and it is not being used, isn’t everything wrong? :confused:

[quote=whiteyacht]fssp.org
[/quote]

Yes, these are also my heroes. Thanks whiteyacht. :smiley: These need to come to North Carolina.

[quote=deogratias]."

It is too new - here in Phx we have had the Indult Mass since June and it is not yet listed either. But if you think the Mass you wish to attend is approved anywhere, you can just check with the Diocese office and they will tell you yea or nay.

[/quote]

I hear some good things about your Bishop. I was going to email you with a question on something else in your diocese, but you are closed to emails.

MrS

www.ssjohn.com

societycantius.org

I was going to email you with a question on something else in your diocese, but you are closed to emails.

Well I am open to private messages now - I had that turned off for a while but it is back on now - you can pm me with your question and I’ll try to answer.:slight_smile:

Good information, and I’m very thankful to hear it, but now you understand how even more confused I am. If Latin was supposed to be used still in the New Mass, and it is not being used, isn’t everything wrong?

Well not everything and not everywhere. Some places have far more wrong than just not including some Latin Some are otherwise pretty good but do not have any Latin. A good example of a mix of Latin and English in the new Mass would be to watch the Mass on EWTN.

Even if you don’t get this station on your cable, you can probably watch one on real audio/video from the EWTN site.

The Holy father in the past few years has encouraged that Latin be used more during the normative Mass as well. It won’t be entirely in Latin.

That said, there are a few Dioceses that do have a Latin Normative Mass - one is at St. Agnes in Minneapolis/St. Paul and I think there is one in Houston and one at Holy Ghost in Denver.

I am sure there are others around the country as well.

That’s not true. Masses in the Gregorian Rite are becoming more common in Mexico:

[LIST]
*]Misas Tradicionales en México
*]Traditional Mass at Cathedral of Mexico City, 2007
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.