Traditional Parish in Buffalo Diocese

My wife and I are moving back to her home town in a few weeks. I am more traditional than she is, so she’s not sure if there are traditional parishes around. The town is Olean, NY, in Cattaraugus County.

I know of St. Mary’s and St. John’s in Olean, but not sure of any others, and not sure of the quality of these two.

Is anyone familiar with this area?

I’m not looking for the TLM or anything, just a more traditional Mass and doctrinally orthodox.

Find a parish in the Polish neighborhood of Buffalo…They tend to be more conservative than most.

We’re in the Buffalo diocese, but pretty far away from Buffalo— about 80 miles. Thanks though. :slight_smile:

Depending on where exactly you are, and how far you want to drive,
there is Salamanca or Wellsville.
Don’t really know anything about either, just know that both places are within reasonable driving distance from Olean. There is also St. Bonaventure University, if you are interested in Franciscan spirituality.

Based on my experience, most of the Buffalo Diocese is pretty “traditional”, but since I am from Rochester, and we are about as “un-traditional” as you can get, I might not be the best person to ask. :wink:

Bishop Malone though, seems to be a pretty solid, and very personable man! :slight_smile:

Peace be with you and welcome back to good old Western NY, where winters seem like they last forever, and summers always seem too short!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a lot. It’s good to know the whole diocese is pretty traditional. :slight_smile:

I just moved to Buffalo six months ago, from the diocese of Rapid City where orthodoxy is not a problem. Once again I am someone who cannot help you with Olean, but I wanted to say that the statements about Buffalo are accurate. St. Josaphat’s is a Polish parish that is quite orthodox. Should you find yourself in Buffalo on a First Friday, go there for Devotions to the Sacred Heart.

OK that being said the suburbs, are hit or miss. Some of the Southtowns, especially have some very modernist influences (architecture tends to be 70’s 80’s). There is one parish that almost completely convinced me I was in a Lutheran church (corpus was there to assure me)

Then again I am a sinner and persnickety, but I also think you should follow your desires as to worship.

Good luck.

I don’t live in the Diocese of Buffalo, but I have many relatives there so I visit quite often. They are in Chautauqua County (around the lake) and I have had a very difficult time finding an orthodox parish. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places! Olean would be a bit of a trek, but I’d definitely do it if the parish was good. So keep us informed! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.