Traditional vs. "New Order"

I come from the tradional Catholic Church, brought up as a child through Catechism, the Eucharist, etc. Granted, I have only returned to the Church recently, but I am confused as to the order of the new Mass. Are there any books or information that I may obtain so I don’t feel so “lost”?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

The best “manual” so-to-speak for the revised *Missale Romanum *(as the New Mass is called), is the General Instruction for the Roman Missal. The full online text can be found here:

catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/DocumentContents/Index/4/SubIndex/67/DocumentIndex/1

If you would like a more concise explanation of the actions and ceremony found in the Mass, your local Catholic bookstore should have a Missal which you can follow during Mass. Some parishes even have these available as you come in.

I am confused as to the order of the new Mass. Are there any books or information that I may obtain so I don’t feel so “lost”?

There should be one in the pew in front of you :slight_smile:

Seriously, the missalette sould have an introductory section, and, of course, contains the prayers and rubericks for each Mass.

Welcome back!

Seriously, the missalette sould have an introductory section, and, of course, contains the prayers and rubericks for each Mass.

Not all parishes have missalettes, unfortunately. Mine doesn’t.

Thank you. I do appreciate your help…and it’s great to be back!

[quote=ChristopherMich]I come from the tradional Catholic Church, brought up as a child through Catechism, the Eucharist, etc. Granted, I have only returned to the Church recently, but I am confused as to the order of the new Mass. Are there any books or information that I may obtain so I don’t feel so “lost”?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.
[/quote]

There are several different Sunday Missals or Daily Missals that contain the order of the Mass. These can be found at any Catholic Bookstore in your town or online.

Or you can see if your Diocese has an Indult Tridentine Mass, which is the “Traditional Latin Mass” that you may be more familiar with.

No, unfortunately, the closest “Tradional” Mass is 1 1/2 hours away, in the church I grew up in. However, after relocating here, and setting into Mass, my Priest has told me that the church I was attending (and unknown to me until last week) was excommunicated in 1989. So…here I am.

Here’s one:

tinyurl.com/7ha4q

It’s in PDF format, so you need an Adobe Acrobat Reader.

[quote=ChristopherMich]No, unfortunately, the closest “Tradional” Mass is 1 1/2 hours away, in the church I grew up in. However, after relocating here, and setting into Mass, my Priest has told me that the church I was attending (and unknown to me until last week) was excommunicated in 1989. So…here I am.
[/quote]

God bless you for following the Church! So many traditional Catholics would just as soon go to an excommunicated church that offered the Latin Mass.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]God bless you for following the Church! So many traditional Catholics would just as soon go to an excommunicated church that offered the Latin Mass.
[/quote]

Thank you. No, honestly, I didn’t even consider going. However, my parents still believe that the excommunication did not occur. After gathering as much information as I could, I see that they were. Apparently priests were ordained against the orders of the Catholic Church.

[quote=Vincent]Here’s one:

tinyurl.com/7ha4q

It’s in PDF format, so you need an Adobe Acrobat Reader.
[/quote]

Thank you very much! This helps tremendously.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.