Traditionalist Societies

Does anybody know of any traditional Catholic societies that reject the premise and teachings of Vatican II And are still in communion with Rome? I have been told by many that the FSSP holds this value, but doing my research I have found that all must except the Novus ordo as a valid (and Vatican 2 for that matter). Being a traditional Catholic, who follows the rules laid out by the most Blessed mother at Fatima, I am looking for a society that meets my requirements (and hers when it comes to upholding the dogmas of faith) in order to join the seminary. Any help would be much obliged, and I would love to find a society or a fraternity that is in communion with Rome rather than schism like the society of Saint Pius X. I thank you for any help you can give, and God bless! (P.S. somebody has mentioned to me the servants of the holy family. Many have told me that they are in schism, but I have some questions about this too, Because they have papal documents from the pope and have a cardinal assigned to them.)

How exactly would one pull this off? Rome does not view acceptance of Vatican II as an option. It’s a requirement.

Exactly. Either Vatican II was a valid ecumenical council, a solemn exercise of the Church’s extraordinary magisterium, or it wasn’t… the recognition of valid councils is an example of a “dogmatic fact”. How can you have it both ways?

You can’t reject Vatican II and still be in communion with Rome.

The better course would be to explore and resolve one’s misunderstandings of Vatican II and the Mass, whatever they might be.

Does the OP mean that he’s/ she’s looking for a society of priest’s who aren’t biritual? As far as I know (without looking anything up, so don’t quote me on this) the FSSP is made up of some priests who are biritual and some who refuse to say the OF but are still in communion with Rome.

I don’t know what the Institute of Christ the King’s canonical status is, you would have to look it up. Sorry I have just got up and can’t be bothered :sleeping:

I don’t think that the term bi-ritual applies to the Ordinary and Extraordinary Form. Both are Latin rite liturgies.

@Gunner6841 , I too am a traditional Catholic .

One cannot be a Catholic and not be traditional .

All that comes to us as Catholics comes by the way of Tradition .

I wish people would not use divisive labels .

Get over yourself and stop rejecting Church teaching.

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

^^^^^^ THIS!!!

How would they be able to be in communion if they don’t even accept vat 2? Rather than having your own requirements just follow the church’s teaching.

All religious societies that are under Rome’s jurisdiction accept Vatican II and the Novus Ordo. The FSSP is about as traditional as you are going to get while still being obedient to Rome. They accept Vatican II and the Novus Ordo although they don’t celebrate the New Mass (not because they think it’s invalid. Mainly because their charism is to keep the EF alive).

You don’t have to accept that Vatican II was the best thing since sliced bread. But you do have to accept that it was a valid council. Otherwise you get to drifting towards the SSPX.

The SSPX also holds that Vatican II and the Novus Ordo are valid, so that doesn’t tell us anything in particular about the FSSP. What differentiates the two groups pertains to questions of defectivity, though even then it’s difficult to give a one-size-fits-all answer, as there’s a certain degree of variance in the beliefs of individual FSSP priests.

Some will say that there is nothing wrong with the Vatican II documents provided they are interpreted “according to tradition”, or with the Novus Ordo provided it is celebrated reverently, while others will affirm that Vatican II must be clarified, that the Novus Ordo is not the Roman Rite and is defective (I’ve heard an FSSP priest say this myself), and communicates less grace than the TLM. For another example of this diversity of opinion, consider Pope Francis’s recent revision of the catechism. Some FSSP priests will pass over the revision in silence, while others will not shy away from denouncing it publicly:

https://twitter.com/ProtecttheFaith/status/1025314995054231552

Every FSSP priest accepts Vatican II and the Novus Ordo, but it’s also true that there’s a spectrum of opinion within that general acceptance. If you do decide to pursue a priestly vocation with the FSSP or another traditional society, it is very likely that you will encounter a range of views among your professors and fellow seminarians, and you would do well to prepare yourself for this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.