Traditionalist?

Where do you stand on Traditionalism?

I like Mass in the vernacular, but I would love to some of the more reverent practices return. I think we lost a little when we went ‘modern’.

I still love Catholic cultural tradition. Among other things, I still enjoy some of our traditional hymns sung in Latin.

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully more people will answer so that we can get a more balanced set of data.
God bless,
Ryan

I guess I am, but I do love the mass in english instead of latin. But I think we should have some of the customs of the past return, (perpetual adoration, 40 hours devotion, benediction, etc) I do miss those. Pray for vocations.

I agree the Traditionalists like the SSPX are in the wrong, yet I like the fact that on the whole they seem to be much more reverant and strict Catholics, for one the way they dress in church. Are any of you offended by the way some women dress in church, oh my, sad!

I put Yes, the Church took a wrong turn at Vatican II; however, I would go to SSPX if I couldn’t get to my Latin Mass.

Mass, I enjoy both, SSPX is wrong, JP11 is THE POPE, read the Vatican 11 documents, what has happened in the church is not in them (in many ways) our church has been taken over by liberals, because they were/are active, most Catholics are apathetic, lazy, want to be fed, are ignorant of their faith and or are only “cultural” Catholics who if they go to church regularly only go out of habit. I am a convert.

[quote=davy39]I guess I am, but I do love the mass in english instead of latin. But I think we should have some of the customs of the past return, (perpetual adoration, 40 hours devotion, benediction, etc) I do miss those. Pray for vocations.
[/quote]

Amen. The Father knows that we certainly need devout young men to serve with His Son as priests. Priests are the vitality of the Church. Without clergy the Church can not be a strong and charismatic force in the world.
Peace be with you,
Ryan

Another thought, while many seminaries are closing down, the FSSP doesn’t have enough room to take in all of their candidates. They have had to turn young men away for lack of housing and resources! If you are able to, please consider helping them in some way.
God bless,
Ryan

I had a hard time answering the poll b/c “Traditionalism” doesn’t exactly have the same definition for everyone. I would definitely prefer that we had more latin at least in some parts of the Ordinary of the Mass (e.g. the Sanctus and Agnus Dei), and I also think that turning the priest around was a mistake (I follow Ratzinger’s take here).

But I also support the mind of the Fathers at Vatican II on ecclesiology, religious liberty, ecumenism, etc., and these are things (especially the latter two) which many Traditionalists have a hard time with, in my experience.

So I ended up putting, “No, but…” as my answer.

You make a good point. I probably should have eliminated the SSPX or Sedevacantist option and added “I would like to see a return to some Traditional practices”

If you are one of these people, feel free to post under the poll. Thanks.
-Ryan

[quote=Bud Stewart]I like Mass in the vernacular, but I would love to some of the more reverent practices return. I think we lost a little when we went ‘modern’.

I still love Catholic cultural tradition. Among other things, I still enjoy some of our traditional hymns sung in Latin.
[/quote]

Well said! This “modernism” has driven some from their home parishes.

I consider myself very traditional (small t) or maybe very orthodox. I honor Vatican II and believe firmly the Holy Spirit guided the election of Pope John XXIII
I love everything about the Mass as it is today. I like the Mass in the vernacular and the Priest facing us. I love Communion in the hand. I like to be able to raise my hands while praying if I feel the Holy Spirit is urging.

We do have Perpetual Adoration in our Parish. It is my favorite prayer time.

I also have deep love and appreciation for the Latin Mass. I think it should be available for those who want or prefer it.

I do miss some of the older things. Like children being taught how to sit quietly during Mass. Just kidding :whistle: !

I don’t give a darned about ladies covering their heads, remember too many caught off guard using old kleenexs or hankies with lipstick smears just so they could follow a rule.

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_14_204.gif

I would say Traditionalist, but love the Pope and am not Schismatic. I am a '62 Indulterer (hehe) and wonder sometimes why the Novus Ordo prevailed over the 65 Missal… (the older rite almost to the ‘t’, but in the vernacular)

I also am a Leo, enjoy long walks on the beach and Candle light dinners for two…

A “traditionalist” Catholic is a tautology. We Catholics are all Traditional. It is the Living Magisterium which decides what is and isn’t Tradition - not some soi disant group of putative know-it-alls.

To be Catholic one must maintain the Bonds of Unity in Worship, Doctrine, and Authority.

Far too many so-called “trads” have severed the bonds of Unity in rejecting the Normative Mass and/or the most recent Ecumenical Council.

From from being some sort of elite “Traditional” Catholic, they cease to be Catholic at all once they sever even one bond.

I agree with a lot of what was said. I think we need to bring back the reverence and a lot of the other devotions that we had. Of course, we need more priests!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Mass and sat with my mother and son in a pew instead of with the choir. First of all, I liked being able to look at the tabernacle during Mass. Secondly, when the priest was saying the prayers, he seemed to be talking to the congregation instead of God. Hm, I just thought of something. Since I am in the choir, the priest still has his back to me! I think I like that better.

I would like to include some Latin in the Novus Ordo but I don’t think the entire Mass has to be totally in Latin. I am glad that the Tridentine Mass is available for many who prefer it.

My greatest regret since Vatican II, in the American Catholic Church that is, is the near-elimination of the wonderful Latin chants and music, and even the Latin in the Mass!

Even the Novus Ordo sounds wonderful in Latin!

And by the way, it is not the fault of Vatican II, but I suspect too many liberal bishops in the American Church who I think went too far.

It needs to return to the center where it belongs…

But having said all that, I recall something a wonderful old priest told me once, a former Secretary to the Pontifical Faculty at Mundelein Seminary in Ilinois…

"Don’t try to be holier then the Church"

Good advise for all, I think…

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

“Gloria in excelsis Deo”

(Intoned by the celebrant of the Mass.)

(The choir response.)

Et in terra pax homininus
bone voluntatis
Laudamus te
Benedicimus te
Adoramus te
Glorificamus te,
Gratias agimus tibi propter
magnum gloriam tuum.
Domine Deus, Rex Coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens
Domine Fili unigenite
Jesu Christe Domine Deus
Agnus Dei Filius Patris
Qui tollis peccata mundi
miserere nobis.
Qui tollis peccata mundi,
suscipe deprecationem nostram.
Qui sedes ad dexteramPatris,
miserere nobis.
Quoniam tu solus Sanctus,
Tu solus Dominus
Tu solus Altissimus
Jesu Christe.
Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris
Amen.

• The Ambrosian Gloria -

solesmes.com/sons/gloria.ram

(Real monks chanting…)

Gregorian Chant - God’s music! :slight_smile:

Hey Bill, great to see you! :slight_smile:

SV

[quote=St Veronica]Hey Bill, great to see you! :slight_smile:

SV
[/quote]

Great to see you too!

Been busy on CARM! :slight_smile:

I gotta appear here more often, I know. I know! :slight_smile:

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

• Anima Christi -

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me;
Within Thy wounds hide me and permit
me not to be separated from Thee.
From the Wicked Foe defend me.
And bid me to come to Thee,
That with Thy Saints I may praise Thee,
For ever and ever. Amen.

[quote=davy39]I guess I am, but I do love the mass in english instead of latin. But I think we should have some of the customs of the past return, (perpetual adoration, 40 hours devotion, benediction, etc) I do miss those. Pray for vocations.
[/quote]

I am too young to know about 40 hrs devotion, but my mother speaks about it fondly. When I was in college, a favourite priest did benediction all the time. (U of Illinois – St. John’s for those of you who are familiar w/ this fine Newman Center.) Students flocked to benediction in droves! It proved to me (again) that the Truth sells.

Perpetual adoration at a local church here is pretty popular. Once people figure it out, they frequent this chapel – it is truly a haven.

I am only 31 and can count the latin masses I’ve ever attended on my fingers. There is no approved latin mass in my diocese. Regardless, as my prayer life deepens, I find myself more and more convicted to take up countercultural practices. For example, I just ordered a chapel veil off of ebay. Ten years ago, I wore jeans to mass. Now, I only wear skirts and dresses – most go to my ankles. I am not suggesting that everyone wear long skirts or wear chapel veils; I just feel personally convicted. I no longer receive communion in the hand either, by the Holy Spirit’s prompting.

If Mass is heaven on earth, the tridentine mass in my very limited experience does seem to fit the bill better. All these people talking about participation as the main advantage of NO masses – funny, very few people in my church do participate.

Another advantage of the tridentine mass is that we would not use the Ritual Song book anymore!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.