traditonal with a small "t"

On another thread, it was discussed that those of us who dislike the modern innovations in our liturgy have no name.
When we call ourselves conservative, we are told that the name is too political and besides some of the modernists think they are conservative.
When we call ourselves orthodox, we are told we are confusing the name with the Eastern Rite. (and some of the modernist believe they are orthodox)
Even stating an EWTN type Mass has run into problems because a poster had never seen their mass and another brought up Mother Angelica’s history of being Charismatic.
I have been saying “Deep Catholic” because those in my parish chose this for discussion. Deep, meaning that the Catholic traditions run deep through our parish and our parishioners.
One of the posters called that divisive.
On another board, I noticed the traditional Anglicans call themselves “High Anglicans”. Like a High Mass, with all the extras.

To those of us who need to clarify who we are. For those who want something short and sweet to say so like minded people know us, what is your suggestion?

Hi netmilsmom,

You’re right. There really isn’t a term that fits just right.

I chose conservative, but that really isn’t a perfect fit. I like things to be ‘squared-away’ and in order. I’m fond of military-style precision, with precise, uniform movements, steeped in history and reverence. I get annoyed when others seem to not care.

I’m really just a Catholic who has a tendency towards being like the Pharasees.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

I likewise am sticking with conservative. I like to think of myself as conservative in all things, from politics to my attire. Sometimes I may go wild, like wear a tie that is not stripped.

[quote=SnorterLuster] Sometimes I may go wild, like wear a tie that is not stripped.
[/quote]

My hubby is the same way!!!

I call myself catholic, as in the Catholicism taught by Jesus Christ and the Church until about 45 years ago…:slight_smile:

Definitely orthodox (with a small ‘o’). This means being in line with the Church.

Traditional has a connotation of anything after Vatican II (and sometimes even Trent in extreme cases) as evil. People of this mindset also has a tendancy towards Jansenism.

Conservative also has a negative connotation against it. It does not go as deep as traditional, but they tend to want to see nothing new, even if it is a clarification of something.

As for the others…:ehh:

PF

How about:

REAL

[quote=romano]How about:

REAL

[/quote]

Yeah, that’s it. THAT’S the one.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

just a suggestion how about roman catholic, also what do you class as a modernist catholic? someone who follows the no mass?

[quote=cainem]just a suggestion how about roman catholic, also what do you class as a modernist catholic? someone who follows the no mass?
[/quote]

See? What you are saying is exactly what I ran into on the boards. When you read the original post, I tried to state that the “conservative” or whatever Catholic is not one attending only the TLM.
We are the ones that want an EWTN type Holy Mass. Mostly in the vernacular, some Latin and Greek, like the first Holy Masses after Vatican II.
No hand holding, no Orans, no dancing girls, no banners instead of statues. Metal vessels, receiving on the tongue and kneeling.
I hope that helps.

It seems to me that the brand “conservative Catholic” implies that there is such thing as a “liberal Catholic,” which there isn’t. “Liberal” Catholics necessarily reject certain Church teachings; if you are not in communion with Rome, regardless of what you say, you are not Catholic. Therefore anyone calling himself a “liberal Catholic” is in actuality a heretic.

I prefer just plain “Catholic,” but if backed into a corner will say “orthodox Catholic,” because it is a more proper title, and more absolute. It reveals the opposition for what it is. (For who really wants to be called a “heterodox Catholic”?)

orthodox means “right teaching” and orthopraxis mean “right practice”…

there is no such thing as a conservative catholic or a liberal Catholic or a traditional catholic… u are Catholic, period. and to be catholic one must also be orthodox, that is in complete union with the Magisterium…

our parish has none of that or the other parishes i visited throughout scotland, we even thanks to deacon and liturgy teachers restarted the may crownings,

sorry tried topost pic of the may crowning, but i couldn’t get it on

I like the term “faithful Catholic” for a Catholic who conforms to the teachings of the Church’s magisterium to the extent required by canon law.

However, within the realm of being a faithful Catholic, there is still a wide variation in opinion that is allowed, both in terms of little-t traditions and in theological issues that have not been definitively settled by the magisterium. Within this realm, there does seem to be a conservative-to-liberal spectrum. For example:

Conservative:[list]
*]Prefer communion on the tongue.
*]Discourage female altar servers.
*]Disapprove of Fr. Raymond Brown’s works.
*]…[/list]
Liberal:[list]
*]Prefer communion in the hand.
*]Encourage female altar servers.
*]Approve of Fr. Raymond Brown’s works.
*]…[/list]
Some people seem to use “orthodox” as a synonym for “faithful”, while others use “orthodox” as a synonym for “conservative”, so it does get confusing.

Don’t we all know what people mean when they say traditional, orthodox or conservative? I’d never heard the name “Deep Catholic” before this board, but I like it too. “High Catholic” would seem to have unfortunate conotations and could easily refer to all the aging flower kiddies firmly entrenched in various chancery offices across the land.

And the SSPX chapel in my area is the only Catholic church in the yellow pages to refer to itself as “Roman Catholic” so I guess that name has been co-opted. :nope:

If ‘orthodox’ connotes the Eastern Rite, how about
’Roman Orthodox Catholic’ (ROC for short…hmm, just add a ‘k’ at the end and it kinda fits!) :wink:

[quote=Elzee]If ‘orthodox’ connotes the Eastern Rite, how about
’Roman Orthodox Catholic’ (ROC for short…hmm, just add a ‘k’ at the end and it kinda fits!) :wink:
[/quote]

Hi!
I know you can’t get private messages. Here is how you fix it.
Go to your private message screen.
Down the left side you will see "Edit Options"
Scroll down until you see this…

This forum features a private messaging system, which allows members to send messages to one another privately.

If you do not want to send or receive private messages, you may disable the private messaging system. Enable Private Messaging

The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

If you are browsing the forums when you receive a new private message, the system can pop-up a notification box informing you of the new message.

If you check enable private messaging, you will get mail.
Write me here and I will test with a message for you.

[quote=frdave20]orthodox means “right teaching” and orthopraxis mean “right practice”…

there is no such thing as a conservative catholic or a liberal Catholic or a traditional catholic… u are Catholic, period. and to be catholic one must also be orthodox, that is in complete union with the Magisterium…
[/quote]

That sounds really good but there are Charismatic Catholics, approved by the Vatican. I am NOT one of them.

So what am I? Would you say Charismatic Catholic and Catholic?

[quote=netmilsmom]Hi!

This forum features a private messaging system, which allows members to send messages to one another privately.

Enable Private Messaging
The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.

[/quote]

Okay, bear with me. I’m sorry for one more question and for getting off the topic of your thread…if I enable private messaging, does that make my email known to everyone on the forum (which I don’t want) or does the Forum act as the go-between for these messages and my email address is still unknown to members (even the sender - that sounds like what you’re saying above). If that’s the case, where do I view the private messages sent to me? Does the ‘Forum’ send them on to my ************* keeping it secret from the sender and other members? Thank you for your patience and help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.