Tragic accident in Glasgow, Scotland

A bin lorry (garbage truck) has hit a number of pedestrians in the centre of Glasgow, killing 6 people and injuring others. It appears the driver may have suffered a heart attack or something similar, losing control of the vehicle which careered down the main street before crashing into a building. The area was crowded with shoppers and people enjoying Christmas activities there. Absolutely tragic, may the souls of those who have died rest in peace.

theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/22/bin-lorry-crash-pedestrians-glasgow-serious-incident-police

Bad accident, I am sorry for this sad carnage, I read the BBC story on it as well: bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30580114

Prayers for the deceased and those affected. Really bad.

“We’ve also heard from one witness who described the driver of the bin lorry as ‘slumped over the wheel’.”

Eyewitness Stephen McNeil said: "I was coming out of a shop and we looked over to the left and we saw this woman screaming and this man on the floor.

“We looked around the road further and we seen this bin lorry just mounting the kerb going left to right just hitting people where they were standing. Such a horrible scene.”

Praying for everyone involved. Very sad!

It’s a very sad accident, though I’m surprised as this is the third time I’ve read about it today and it seems like this sort of thing happens fairly regularly here without much more than a nod and condolances from the local media. I’ve never seen it hit international media before. Is it the central location of the accident that makes it such a big deal?

Awful tragedy. My prayers for the souls of the deceased and their families.

How utterly terrible! I am praying for those who lost their lives today and also for those who were injured…

For those who lost their lives in this tragedy:

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace.
Amen.

For those who were injured:

God of all creation, you who spoke a simple command and brought forth light from
the darkness, I ask you now to send forth your miracle-working power to heal those who were injured in this tragic accident. You cleansed the lepers, opened the eyes of the blind and by speaking a simple command, you empowered the crippled to rise up and walk. You sent forth your life-giving power to all those in need, including those you raised from the dead. I ask you to send forth your healing power into their bodies and give them the strength to fight their injuries. I ask this through my Lord, Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.
Amen.

:gopray2:

As a Glaswegian and moreover a person who frequently stands at that very spot outside Queen Street Station, coming back from Edinburgh to visit my parents, I have been in a state of shock and grief over this tragic incident. It could very easily have been me who was mowed down by that garbage truck, it just goes to show how fragile and precious life is.

It must have been so horrifying for the people involved, going about their Christmas shopping, with lights and music and festivities and laughter and then having this scene of carnage, death and tragedy thrust upon them. Truly surreal. The victims, injured and their loved ones, as well as the witnesses who had to see this awful spectacle and attempt to aid the wounded, are all in my prayers and my heart goes out to them.

It is an equally poignant coincidence that just late last month Glasgow marked the first anniversary of the Clutha helicopter crash, when a police helicopter fell from the sky into a pub.

This city has had to endure yet another tragedy. :frowning:

Very tragic, may they RIP. It seems the driver may have had a heart attack.

Possibly, and the fact that the folk were enjoying Christmas fairs etc in the city centre which makes it even more poignant. In the UK, accidents resulting in multiple fatalities do get a lot of news coverage.

How horrible. I send my prayers.

bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-30573149

19:54 Glasgow Archbishop Philip Tartaglia: “The circumstances could hardly be more tragic. I would ask any person of faith to pray for those who have died and their relatives and those who have been injured.”

Praying for the repose of the souls of those who died. Praying for the health & recovery of those injured. Praying for the families of all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.