Tragic Gun Mistakes as to Property Defense

"HALSELL, Ala. (AP) — Alone in his mobile home off a winding dirt road, Jimmy Tanks heard a commotion at 2:30 a.m. just outside his bedroom window: Somebody was messing with his car. The 67-year-old railroad retiree grabbed a gun, walked out the back door and confronted not a thief but a repo man and two helpers trying to tow off the Chrysler Sebring. Shots were fired, and Tanks wound up dead, a bullet in his chest.

The man who came to repossess the car, Kenneth Alvin Smith, is awaiting trial on a murder charge in a state considered a Wild West territory even by the standards of an industry that’s largely unregulated nationally. Since Tanks’ death last June, two other repo men from the same company Smith worked for were shot, one fatally.

“It’s gotten to where it’s a crazy world out there,” said Smith, 50, an ex-Marine who preaches part-time and sings gospel music. Smith said Thursday that he fired in self-defense after Tanks fired a shot.”

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-repo-violence,0,3746349.story

Now how about the other side of the story?
How about the 11 year old girl in Montana who shot 2 illegal aliens breaking into her home when she was home alone? How about all the victims who couldn’t defend themselves in nations which had severe restrictions on guns? How about Hitler and the Nazis taking away the right to own a gun??
I’m not ‘gun happy’ but I sure respect the right of those who want them to own them. Who on earth would prefer to be a victim?? Don’t be misled by nonsense from the Left demonizing everyone because of 1 person.

If our second amendment rights are taken away, the only ones with guns will be the criminals.

Here ya go…I really liked this one!

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6006926775914305210

This is the other side of the story. You haven’t seen the continual un-newsworthy posts about using guns for home defense? Some of those uses can be mistaken with tragic results.

I don’t think people should come to your house at 3am to repo it. That isn’t reasonable at all. Who is thinking clearly at 3am?

Repo is a dangerous business a repo man around 15 to 20 years ago was shot and killed in Houston he did the same thing tried to repo a truck late in the night the owner came out with a rifle and took him out. The owner of the truck was not prosecuted.

The owner has every right to protect his property.

Some people on my block had their car reprocessed I seen them do it they came in the morning in the daylight hooked up took the car a few houses down and secured it to the tow vehicle. Came back to the house gave them paperwork and ask them if they had anything in the car they need to take out. They did it right.

If you go messing around people’s property at three in the morning somebody going to get shot it’s that simple.

Myself if I see somebody take my car and I’m not in it I’ll call the police, I’m not going to take somebody out for a car that’s one of the reasons I have insurance.

In this case we don’t know maybe that was the only that guy could make a living is with his vehicle but that’s something the court will have to figure out.

I’m not in agreement with the repo guy on this one.

The real tragedy is those who would like to undermine the Constitution.

**And the overwhelming majority are not mistaken and do not lead to any tragic results. **

Funny but Beau has guns and still posts all these anti-gun posts as if these posts are representative of the majority of gun uses. FACTS are that Beau picks out the EXCEPTIONS and posts those to ‘prove’ his points. Rather than picking the exception, it seems far more logical to pick the RULE.

DEFENSIVE USE OF FIREARMS by honest citizens is estimated to be between 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 times per year every year. That is actually far more frequent that guns are used to commit crimes!!! Many of those gun uses do not even require the use of the gun, simply the presentation of the gun.

Hmm…the reporter assumes that Tanks mistook Smith for a thief. How does the reporter know that Tanks didn’t know/suspect that Smith was there to repo his car and still shot at him? According to the story, Tanks was “alone in his mobile home.” Now, he is dead. Whom did the reporter interview to ascertain Tanks’ state of mind?

It is a tragic death, but I’m not clear on what sort of “mistake” was made. Was the mistake that he fired the gun at a repo man, or did he really think Smith was a thief? We can’t really be certain.

As bad as statistics are for telling the whole story, anecdotes are even worse.

I don’t expect to ever own a handgun, but I understand why people do. If you do, make sure you take very strong precautions against having them stolen. That’s how most criminals get theirs: the black / stolen market.

Good questions. I believe the big mistake is the smash and grab repo business. Taking possession ofr a car at 3:00 am without informing the one currently in possession of the car is foolhardy, whether you are a thief or a repo man. What is needed is a simple way of obtaining a court order for possession to change hands and this to happen in the clear light of day. In the case where a person tries to hide a car and night is the only option, then the company repossessing the car should have to pay a fee for a police officer serving the repossession notice and to assure no violence occurs when the car is hooked up.

Do you have any evidence of this? Based on a study I saw from your own state the largest single source of Illinois criminals getting guns by sending their girlfriends into gun stores to buy the gun. They made sure the girlfriend had no criminal record, got their FOID card and then went in to buy the gun from a retail store. The girlfriend then ILLEGALLY gave the gun to her criminal boyfriend. This is in violation of many laws but the system can’t catch these criminals even with background checks, waiting periods, FOID cards, etc. Criminal behavior always figures out some way to get around the laws that prevent honest citizens from doing things.

Here is a PBS/Frontline story that reiterates what I said. In fact it says that STOLEN guns are at the bottom of the list of sources for criminals to get guns: pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

A very small number of gun dealers sell the majority of these crime guns. Those dealers need to be shut down and punished.

Nope, I don’t. It was a gut call based on the fact that of the three extended family members I have who own handguns two of them have had them stolen at least once over the years - both in the same town. Makes you wonder how the crooks knew they were there…

In other words, I made a judgement based on an anecdote! :wink:

Exactly.Good comment.
Repo work’s dangerous. Typically they do it in the dead of night.Bad stuff can happen.

I understand what you are saying, but any further obstacles for the bank to get their property back is unfair to the bank. Mr. Tanks was fully aware that he had to give his car back or it would be repossessed. He could have turned it into them, but he apparently chose not to.

If you let the person know when you are coming for their car, it won’t be there…whether a repo man or policeman is coming for it. I don’t think it’s a good idea to involve the police in repos.

How does a man then distinguish a car thief from a bank repo man?

BTW - Repossesors here are required to report in to the police before hand and they do get involved just to prohibit such scenes.

What you described here is the black market.

The “repo man” was a fool… but beyond that, here are some of the results of the “efficacy” of “gun control”…:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

sksparts.com/historical_results_of_gun_contro.htm (Don’t just breeze through it…read the whole thing, then move on to the next link.)

newswithviews.com/Turtel/joel39.htm

theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/crocodile_dundee.htm

Disarming a population of law-abiding people is a foolish thing to do, unless of course the government’s intent is to subjugate the population and make them defenseless. Even Gandhi knew that:

’Among the many misdeeds of the British Rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. ’ - Mahatma Gandhi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.