Trans-gender individuals being re-baptised or blessed in the Anglican church

As usual the truth is not the same as the hype. The General Synod of the Church of England first debated this issue in 2015 so it’s not that new. Although many oppose it what can and does happen is not a re-baptism. Baptising again is contrary to Anglican theology. The Church of England has introduced a ritual to mark the change in a person’s gender and name. No Church of England clergy are obliged to offer it.

I thank you for what I suspected was the case, esp. the re-baptizing part. And the optional part.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Phew, it’s good to know that the abomination of Re-baptism is avoided as contrary to sound doctrine by the doctrinally rigorous hierarchy of the Church England. And this triumph of pure doctrine in the English Church is only heightened by the heirarchy’s gracious provision of an optional liturgical celebration for mutilating one’s body to impersonate the opposite sex…

I always assumed re-baptism is impossible theologically but had heard that phrase used in the secular media.

Hello joyfulandactive, I was being sarcastic. I’m in full agreement with their continued upholding of the historic Christian faith regarding re-baptism…It’s other little elephants in the room, like approval of virtually every thing God hates (murder-aka abortion, sexual perversion-aka LGBT, etc.) that leaves me less than enthusiastic…

I just received and read a wonderful book today by (Fr.) Vernon Johnson “One Lord, One Faith” an Anglican Anglo-Catholic priest who converted to Catholicism (against all his natural inclinations as he was very happy as an Anglo-Catholic until he had an encounter with St. Therese of Lisieux). This was in the mid 1920s. A very beautiful testimony. He became a Catholic priest and founded the Apostolic Association of Priests of St.Therese which gave retreats based on her spirituality.

Yes. When a see falls vacant a commission is formed, chaired by the archbishop of the province and made up of both clergy and laity, some elected by General Synod and others at the diocesan level. The name of the candidate chosen by the commission is passed to the prime minister, who recommends the Queen to nominate that candidate for election by the canons of the diocesan cathedral. The roles of the canons, the Queen and the prime minister are constitutionally necessary, but the actual choice of the new bishop is made by the commission.

I was simply stating the correct facts rather than fake news.

My providing those facts in no implies I support the Church of England regarding its touchy-feely approach to modern life.

Perhaps ‘resigned acceptance’ might be a more appropriate description than ‘approval’. I don’t see any evidence of CofE sponsored Marie Stopes Clinics!

I am trying to understand, as I am not familiar with the tradition. It appears there are “streams” within Anglicanism such as: Anglo-Catholic (high-church) Evangelicals (low-church) and Mainstream. There is no Magisterium as such. Although there are individuals who believe in revealed truth, there are others who believe the church can adopt modern developments in faith and morals through a general vote.

It’s a little weird. High church often corresponds to Anglo-Catholicism and low church often corresponds to Reform Anglicanism, but that’s not a perfect mapping; there are high church Reform Anglicans and low church Anglo-Catholics.

Because of the CoE’s history of flipping back and forth between Protestantism and Catholicism, plus its flipping back and forth while Protestant between more Catholic and and more Calvinist views, it accepts a broad swathe of beliefs. As I put it in a different thread, we Anglicans often disagree with each other quite strongly (I think the Reform Anglicans are flat wrong in their beliefs and they think I’m a Romish infiltrator). But nowadays we prefer to argue about it instead of locking each other in the Tower of London.

As far as the Church of England is concerned, it tends to think it has a duty, as the national church, to provide a home and a space for English Christians, rather than a place for Christians of only one stripe.

And there is the subtle distinction between High Church (mainly as influenced by the Ritualist moment, and Anglo-Catholic, arising more from the Oxford/Tractarians. But they usually will be found flocking together. And then there are the Anglo-Papalists. Rara aves those.

Well yes exactly HopkinsReb. As a Catholic I came into the church via a very Charismatic Catholic Lay community who loved to spend hours praising God. They also were very devout and orthodox in their beliefs regarding faith and morals. So they went to Mass (often daily), had Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, partook of the sacraments, deep devotion to Mary etc. So completely Catholic with all the Charisms as well.

However I have encountered Anglican “Catholics” who while they love traditional liturgy and the “smells and bells” do not believe in a traditional Christian moral life or are not particularly interested in holiness. Then “Evengelicals” who are very focused on personal holiness but cannot accept the sacraments, except baptism.

It’s very strange.

I’m not far from them at this point.

As in the US, the National Cathedral (Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul), is (or was) something of a national fane.

?

Not sure :thinking: of your meaning…?

Well, I wish you well on the journey, as far as it may go. I’d love to say I knew one of them.

If I got fully to that point, it would definitely be a temporary fence-sitting position. I don’t like fence-sitting, but sometimes one gets stuck and needs a push one way or the other. It is, in my opinion, a wholly untenable position, but sometimes one must pass through such a position for one reason or another.

If me, that’s not an unusual reaction.

Scan the WIki, and look for the ideas under the division “Spiritual home for the nation”.

I visited there many times, while I was stationed in the DC area, and had first visited it about 25 years before that, years before it was formally completed. It is a beautiful and fascinating structure. Made many brass rubbings there, and used a key ring with its coat of arms for many years. Sorry I was when it became impossible to consider it a place that some one such as myself could actually worship. But it is lovely to look at.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.