Transgender

When I hear transgender people speak on television about their decision to change genders, I wonder why they feel as tough they are opposie sex than what they were born. If this is something they are born with, than is it sinful for them to change their sexual orientation? I think it is ,but I just want to see what you all think or know about this/

Check out the post labeled “Is it wrong to change ones gender” in the Ask an Apologist section.

You really can’t change your gender, it’s how God made you. You can have mutilating surgery and take hormones so that you appear to be something you’re not. But your DNA is that of a male or a female, nothing anyone does can change that.

God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)

The word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.

-Tim-

To be fair, part of the problem is that the word “transgender” is an awfully large tent that includes both those with no physical issues at all other than an internal notion that they are “really” of the opposite gender than their physiology implies all the way to some unfortunate souls with seriously malfunctioning physiology to the point where even experts can’t make a conclusive outside decision what gender these folks really are.

Even DNA isn’t always conclusive as there are rare mutations out there that defy neat packaging into XX or XY categories. Those people have a hard road to walk and deserve our prayers and compassion. In the absence of any clear empirical evidence, it’s my (amatuer!) opinion that such people need to do the best they can to figure out what gender they really are and live as such (but in a celibate manner). In some cases that might differ from the best educated guess of the doctor who filled out the birth certificate paperwork. IMO, that’s a LOT different than the guy who like dressing up in women’s clothing so much that he opts for a “sex change.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.