Translation for Lectionary and Liturgy of the Hours

Hi, I was wondering since the Roman Missal had an updated 2008 translation which came out in 2011 in the U.S., should we expect at some point a new translation of the Lectionary and Liturgy of the Hours will come out?

Yes. The USCCB has been working on a revised translation of the Liturgy of the Hours for the better part of the last decade. While I haven’t seen anything specific about a revised Lectionary, there is work going on in parallel to the LotH to produce a common “liturgical” Bible for use in the US based on the New American Bible, Revised Edition. It is supposed to be complete around the same time as the revised LotH. Since it’s purpose is to use a single scriptural translation for all liturgical readings, it would follow that it would be used for a revised Lectionary and any changes to various rites.

That being said, when will they be complete? You have as good a chance of figuring out when Christ will return as you would to say when the revisions will be complete.

2 Likes

I’m hearing rumors of 2022, but don’t hold your breath. :smiley:

That might be 2022 years after the Second Coming… not the first, :rofl:

It took Rome (Solesmes actually but under Rome’s direction) 40 years to come up with the first volume of the Gregorian chant Antiphonary for the Liturgy of the Hours. In 1970, it had been promised “soon”.

And it only covers Vespers of Sundays, feasts and Solemnities. I asked in 2016 when we could expect the next volume (Lauds of Sundays, etc.). Answer: in the spring. They even specified 2017. It’s now 2019. No sign of it. So that too must be after the Second Coming…

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Reiterated disclaimer: I know next to nothing of the veracity nor authority of this article.

On the other hand, once a release date for the 2011 mass translation was announced, things started moving quickly and it did indeed happen.
As far as LOTH, the US bishops have been approving sections fairly steadily so I think the work is really getting closer to completion.

Not a rumor. See here

I saw that. But after all this time, as far as I’m concerned, it’s rumor until the first one come off the press. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.