translation?

Greetings, CAF friends,

I received a beautiful holy water bottle as a gift. The attached photo shows the bottom, which says something in what looks to me like Greek. Can anyone tell me what this says in English? Thanks in advance, and God bless.

CarrieH

*It means **“Through the prayers of the Mother of God, savior, save us.”

Thank you, Vico! :thumbsup:

Technically, “Most holy Theotokos, save us.”

That is a good point, thank you.

Virgin Theotokos Save Us

I just checked with my priest who is an expert on Biblical Greek and he translated as

Holy Mother of God save us

When I translated above, I took the Greek words and translated them as they were, but my priest put it properly.

This is the correct translation.

I wish others who apparently do not know Greek, would qualify their answers with an indication of how qualified (or not) they are to answer the question :mad:

ΥΠΕΡΑΓΙΑ ΘΕΟΤΌΚΕ ΣΏΣΟΝ ΗΜΆΣ.

Υπεραγια Θεοτόκε σώσον ημάς.

Υπεραγια = Virgin
Θεοτόκε = Theotokos (God-bearer)
σώσον = save
ημάς = us.

“Υπεραγία” means “most holy.” “Virgin” is “Παρθένος.”

Taking what little Greek I know, I believe that is quite correct. :slight_smile:

I agree. Is Yuperagia use for anyone other than the Virgin?

Not that I know of, but I can’t say for sure. That really taxes my ultra (or maybe I should say “hyper”) limited Greek. :slight_smile:

Not that I know of, but “virgin” is used for people other than Panagia.

In this particular case, translate.google.com is not correct. Perhaps you could have posted the link to Google instead, you would have not look so silly :shrug:

Google translatesΥπεραγία one of four ways: Virgin, Most Holy, Holy, Blessed.
Υπεραγία Θεοτόκε σώσον ημάς.

There is something for everybody:

So for the those that like dynamic translation there in my first post:“Through the prayers of the Mother of God, savior, save us.”
And for the literalists:Most Holy God-Bearer save us.

Normally I wouldn’t care too much about the minor details of a translation, but we do literally say “Through the prayers of the Mother of God, savior, save us” (“Ταῖς πρεσβείαις τῆς Θεοτόκου, Σῶτερ, σῶσον ἡμᾶς”) at another point during the liturgy. So in this case it matters for the sake of avoiding confusion.

I was very imprecise, the phrase on the bottle is actually that used in the odes of the Paraclesis.

:shrug: some people simply cannot help themselves

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. God bless! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.