Trappists

Lately I have been discerning the vocation of a monastic lifestyle. I have been looking into the Trappists (Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance). Does anyone have any comments about this group? Thanks a lot!

John

[quote=KarrollKid04]Lately I have been discerning the vocation of a monastic lifestyle. I have been looking into the Trappists (Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance). Does anyone have any comments about this group? Thanks a lot!

John
[/quote]

Don’t join that order unless you want to go straight to heaven after your death… that is if they are the same as they were when I was young.

[quote=Mike Dye]Don’t join that order unless you want to go straight to heaven after your death… that is if they are the same as they were when I was young.
[/quote]

What does that mean? (Who doesn’t want to go straight to heaven?)

Info about them:

ocso.org/

Found this in the FAQ:

Usually the best way to learn even more about a monk’s life is to spend a few days in the guest house of a monastery.

ocso.org/net/monwb-en.htm

From what I have read, the Trappists are much more moderate than it was in the decades (and centuries) past. The 1960s brought some fundamental changes to the order.

I just finished reading a book which I recommend:Voices of Silence : Lives of the Trappists Today. It was published in 1991 so its a bit dated, but it is very insightful. I borrowed it from the library and I am considering buying it.

Yes, I agree with MJDonnellythat the best way to explore is to actually visit. Getting a reservation might require a bit of a wait, but that only gives you more time to prepare. :slight_smile:

Check out this interesting blog

monasticism.org/monk/

As mentioned in a previous post…there have been some changes over the past few decades. One is that most monks sleep on regular bed mattresses…only a few (by choice) continue to sleep on straw fill mattresses.

Thanks to everybody for all the help. After doing a lot of research, I too have found out that a lot of monastic orders have “eased up” in the past few decades. What monastic order is the most faithful to the Rule of St. Benedict? Just wondering.

Thanks again.

www.clearcreekmonks.org

They’re traditional Benedictines, not Trappists, but you might want to check them out. They’re certainly faithful to the Rule of St. Benedict.

Note that the website is not run by the monks themselves.

I have visted there. If you want more details about what it’s like there, just ask me.

[quote=KarrollKid04]What monastic order is the most faithful to the Rule of St. Benedict? Just wondering.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

The Abbey of the Genesee is very faithful. geneseeabbey.org/

Have your read The Cistercian Way by Andre Louf? It is an excellent resource.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.