Travel information

Hello,
I was wondering how well it is to travel with Greyhound buses since I’m going to be taking one from Kalamazoo MI to Philly in about a month to visit an religious order for the first time and travel alone for the first time. I’d like to know how safe it is and of there is a cheaper way since driving a car is not an option.

I took a Greyhound from Iowa to Philly a few years ago. Ride was safe and not too uncomfortable for me. I didn't have much to do so I slept most of the time and had lay overs in many cities. It took 3-4 days just to get to Philly because of the lay overs. There wasn't any lights on my buses at night probably because that's when normal people sleep lol. No outlets to charge phones but, you do stop at places to get something to eat and to charge your phone. Only thing I didn't enjoy was how long it took to get to your destination and at times the buses got crowded.

Bus travel is quite safe - unless you get one of those infamous "drivers from hell." (I've only experienced one - and that was enough!) However, the train is much more comfortable for a long trip. And if you can manage to sleep in your seat - difficult but not impossible - it's cheaper than flying. Tho pricier than the bus.

I've taken the bus quite regularly for short trips - 8-9 hours. Anything longer than that, I spring for the train. Or plane, if there is no train service where I'm going. But I *really *hate flying.

Check Megabus for cheapest bus travel.

us.megabus.com/Default.aspx

I haven't used a bus in years, but at least then, it was not a negative experience.

The "worst" parts of the journey are the stations. Often these are in the rougher parts of cities, and the physical appurtenances resemble such.

There is really no way to travel that is cheaper.

Oh, and bring a space-blanket or the like, as the interiors are often quite cold at night.

ICXC NIKA

[quote="GEddie, post:5, topic:329055"]
I haven't used a bus in years, but at least then, it was not a negative experience.

The "worst" parts of the journey are the stations. Often these are in the rougher parts of cities, and the physical appurtenances resemble such.

There is really no way to travel that is cheaper.

Oh, and bring a space-blanket or the like, as the interiors are often quite cold at night.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

What does a space blanket look like?

Silver, very thin, packs small. It holds in your body heat. You can find it in the camping section of dept. stores.

One of the drawbacks of bus travel is if you get stuck with a bus that has tv screens. I did once and it was awful. The first movie had lots of bad language & sex & was very loud. I complained to the bus driver & he said people wanted it. Before the 2nd movie started my son - a teen at the time - got up and asked for a vote - movie or no movie. We lost. :(

The 2nd movie had some bad language, no sex, and was still extremely loud. Even my mp3 at maximum volume couldn't drown out the movie. :mad:

On the train you can choose to go to the lounge & watch movies or stay in your seat.

[quote="Bonnie, post:8, topic:329055"]
One of the drawbacks of bus travel is if you get stuck with a bus that has tv screens. I did once and it was awful. The first movie had lots of bad language & sex & was very loud. I complained to the bus driver & he said people wanted it. Before the 2nd movie started my son - a teen at the time - got up and asked for a vote - movie or no movie. We lost. :(

The 2nd movie had some bad language, no sex, and was still extremely loud. Even my mp3 at maximum volume couldn't drown out the movie. :mad:

On the train you can choose to go to the lounge & watch movies or stay in your seat.

[/quote]

There 's no way of turning it off?

Nope. And it was difficult visually as well - the screens were set up about every 3-4 rows on both sides of the bus.

I’ve not seen that on any other buses. Perhaps it was an experiment. Hopefully there were a lot of complaints.

[quote="Bonnie, post:10, topic:329055"]
Nope. And it was difficult visually as well - the screens were set up about every 3-4 rows on both sides of the bus.

I've not seen that on any other buses. Perhaps it was an experiment. Hopefully there were a lot of complaints.

[/quote]

I've never seen them on US buses, although the newer Mexican ones sometimes have seat back video.

[quote="Bonnie, post:8, topic:329055"]

[/quote]

Greyhound doesn't do movies. The only bus companies in the US that do that are generally very inexpensive China town busses.

[quote="AdvanceAlways, post:12, topic:329055"]
Greyhound doesn't do movies. The only bus companies in the US that do that are generally very inexpensive China town busses.

[/quote]

It was Greyhound. But it was several years ago.

Yikes! Sounds like an awful experience!

Ok also, what’s my chances of getting mugged/pick pocketed in a rough city say like Detroit since I’m going to be in there for around two hours and the stations are usually not the best part in town to say the least.

[quote="Capuchinfan1337, post:15, topic:329055"]
Ok also, what's my chances of getting mugged/pick pocketed in a rough city say like Detroit since I'm going to be in there for around two hours and the stations are usually not the best part in town to say the least.

[/quote]

If you keep to yourself, you'll be fine. I've been in some very sketchy greyhound stations over the years and have certainly felt nervous but have never witnessed any real crime. Detroit is perhaps the most dangerous city in America, but there will be security and/or police at the station.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.