Travolta heads Scientology campaign to block BBC expose

John Travolta has launched a bitter attack on a veteran BBC reporter over a Panorama film that exposes the methods used by Scientology and questions whether it is a “brainwashing cult”.
Travolta also urges the BBC to halt the screening of the documentary tomorrow.

The star’s intervention is the latest in what Sweeney says is a campaign of intimidation since he embarked on his film, in which former Scientologists claim they were forced to cut themselves off from their families.
dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=454430&in_page_id=1773#StartComments

Scientology dosent neet an expose, it’s allready pretty obvious on the surface that it’s nuts…

I see your point but wonder what the draw is :confused:

I see people who I think are really smart and professional getting into it:confused:

What exactly is scientology? I’ve heard of it, but I know nothing about it.

New Age babble plus the fact that “everyone seems to be into it” mentality would get people in, even the smart ones.

I disagree. Scientology only looks harmless on the outside. Most people just dismiss it as a cult and its adherents looney-tunes. Unfortunately, (imo) most of their membership are Crypto-Scientologists - that is, no one knows that they are members. They are not only the faces like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Greta Van Susteren, but judges, city councillors, lawyers, sheriffs, justices of the peace, CEO’s, bank managers, editors - people in money and power behind the scenes.

What is the draw? - they promise wealth and power. If you aren’t there already, they will help you to get there. If you are there, they will help you get more.

There is some speculation that Judge Greer, who sentenced Terri Schaivo to death by starvation, is a crypto-scientologist. (they gave him an award afterwards for being a great judge and he hobnobs with them on a regular basis.) They occupy positions of power and influence and their policies are being implemented by stealth - like disabled people should either kill themselves or allow themselves to be killed.

I read that L Ron Hubbard’s son stated outright that his father believed he was Satan Incarnate, the Anti-Christ and that scientology was just a front for Satan worship and black magic. Even if they don’t worship Satan, their aim is to get as much power for themselves as possible.

In looking for a link to confirm my statement about his son, I came across this. This is why they need to be exposed. They are not just nuts - they are powerful and dangerous nuts and a lot of their power comes from the fact that most people don’t know who they are, what they believe and what their intent is.

video of sworn testimony:
opposingdigits.com/vlog/?p=231

QUOTE:
Clearwater Florida city council hearings, researching the Scientology crime syndicate’s many crimes and human rights abuse. Sworn testimony included murder, kidnapping, extortion, money laundering, bribery, subborning perjury, and other assorted Scientology crimes.
opposingdigits.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21712&sid=ae5923e9481156f57aed3a52a10af5e6
QUOTE:
“He [L. Ron Hubbard] got hold of the book by Alistair Crowley called The Book of the Law. He was very interested in…the creation of what some people call the Moon Child. It was basically an attempt to create an immaculate conception --except by Satan rather than by God. Another important idea was the creation of what they call embryo implants --of getting a satanic or demonic spirit to inhabit the body of a fetus. This would come about as a result of black-magic rituals, which included the use of hypnosis, drugs, and other dangerous and destructive practices. One of the important things was to destroy the evidence if you failed at this immaculate conception. That’s how my father became obsessed with abortions.”

L. Ron Hubbard, Jr., son of the late Scientology founder.
Click on link and scroll down to post by edisme quoting L Ron Hubbard Jnr on his father and Scientology. It gets even more disturbing.

If any cult needs exposing, it is this one.

Scientology preys on those who are searching, lures them in, then sucks all the money out of their bank accounts through “audits.”

For celebrities, they treat them like royalty and hold them up as reasons for the searchers to come to them. They do not get the same treatment as “regular Joes” and I am pretty sure they have no idea what the ordinary unwashed masses go through with their “church.”

Face it, if you were Tom Cruise, would you rather go to a Catholic or Protestant church where you are just like everyone else, or be courted and treated royally by cultists? Celebrities do no like being told they are like everyone else–they need something that plays to their egos.

HERE is a link that is interesting–funny in a sad way.

They sure do need prayer.

The next thing they’ll be here posting to refute this stuff. The video clip of those 3 guys trying to intimidate the cameraman was incredible.

They have a reputation of playing rough with their critics. A few years back they were accused of putting a rattlesnake in a critic’s mail box.

Aren’t they big on suing?

The whole group puts me off…kind of scary:(

They also wiretap, harass, and use restraining orders and threats of legal action against families who try to extricate members. They use these same measures against people who have managed to leave. They threaten those who are trying to leave with financial and legal repurcussions, and punish them with hard physical labor that even prisoners wouldnt be required to do in the US penal system.

I believe you can do a bunch of research at www.xenu.net But you can also google Xenu or anti scientology and find a bunch of insane and crazy stuff. You can take the personality test, which is worded so that you always have flaws that can be “audited out”, online.

They also show up at malls around the holidays with their emeters and Dianetics books, offering free stress tests. My boyfriend knows my love of mocking this “religion” not the people, I feel bad for them. He let me take the test. They told me my biggest problem was disorganization. I laughed in their face, I’m little miss alphabetize cd’s, make to do lists, and schedule all of my appts minimum 3 months in advance.

Two more articles as follow-up

1 - BBC article on video (and link to same) of the reporter who made this expose ‘losing it’. Two things stand out for me on this - first the BBC reporter is incredibly pompous and arrogant and that makes me suspect his reporting has an agenda and second - the chilling nature of the scientologist’s statement that Sweeney’s attack on his religion makes him very angry. Apparently, scientologists have been following him around making their own ‘documentary’ and intruding into his life, even attending his wedding. Ordinarily, I would say, “Yeah, give the reporters a taste of their own medicine.” but I don’t think the scientologists are doing this to just prove a point. The BBC has been attacking the Catholic Church for so long without any repurcussions that they think they can do the same with this bunch. They have no idea what they have taken on in attacking the ‘Church’ of Scientology. These people are not Christians and do not believe in turning the other cheek. They believe in getting even.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6650545.stm

2.- The Inquirer (not the supermarket tabloid in the US) article on the Scientology comeback. Here is proof about the ‘positions of power’ - here is a divisional commander with the City of London police publicly endorsing them. Sweeney better look out. He might find himself arrested and thrown in jail before long. They have a proven track record in this department. They not only have no qualms about using their positions of power to further the aims of their church but they are expected to do so.
Quote:Movie stars who have appeared promoting Scientology include Chief Superintendent Ken Stewart, a divisional commander with the City of London police,
theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39583

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.