Treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated?

I have welcomed a homeless Muslim into my home. She is my granddaughters sister. We are Catholics. I respect her right to be a Muslim and she respects my right to be a Catholic. She is a good child (She is 25 yrs. old) and I have no problem with her staying here. We don’t really discuss religion since she is strong in her faith and I am strong in mine. We get along very well and have a mutual respect for each other. I don’t have a problem with her being here. She is a wonderful person, kind, generous and polite. What are your points of views about this situation? Is it a sin to let her live in my home?

I think it is a wonderful situation! You have the opportunity to spread the Love and Word of God through your actions! :smiley: It is definitely not a sin!

Hospitality is a virtue. There should be no problem in providing a home for any homeless person, especially one who is a believer in God.
And as SnowAngels says, you have the chance to show the love of God through your actions.

In both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, we are encouraged and commanded to welcome and love the stranger in our midst. What you are doing is no sin; on the contrary, it is a blessing.

Not a problem at all because you both respect each other.
Thank you for opening your home and your heart to someone in need of a place to stay. May God bless you for your kindness. :slight_smile:

You should be a model for the rest of the world! I think it’s great.

Your question is sort of strange to me. Every Catholic knows that we are to help the poor, regardless of their religion. We don’t help the poor because they are Catholic. We help the poor because WE are Catholic. Is there some other reason you are asking? Are you concerned you are enabling a drug addiction or harboring a fugitive from the law? Do you have young children in the home who could be led astray? I don’t mean to sound suspicious, but barring some sort of secondary issue, this seems like a no-brainer for a practicing Catholic that’s strong in their faith.

If only we all could live by the Golden Rule; “Do unto others as you would have done unto you”. What a wonderfully peaceful world it would be. God bless you for setting an example.

My point of view? Everything sounds fine to me!

A sin? Of course not. Do you think Jesus would consider it sinful to help a non-Christian?

Why, why, why would you even for a moment think it a sin???

Why do Catholics try to find sin in everything?

Because Muslims are anti-Christ, I thought maybe it would be wrong. No she is not a criminal. It’s the things that I read about them that frightens me. Like ISIS, and the way many of them in different countries murder Christians. I know that all Muslims don’t do such things and so I guess I need to look deeper into my own soul. I guess I was generalizing and so I will have to go to confession for judging others before I know them.

Even if this woman was anti-Christ (and to my understanding, Muslims hold Christ in high regard as a some sort of prophet, even though they don’t believe he is God.) and even if she had sympathized with people who have sinned and done evil and even done evil herself, it would not be sinful to show her kindness and mercy. If you had reason to believe that your allowing her to live with you was in some way enabling her to do evil, then there might be some concern, but it sounds like all you’re doing now is showing her Christ’s love through kindness.

flower lady,

From what I have read, the Muslims have a very high regard for Mary the Mother of Jesus.  I have read that they say that next to Fatima, Mohammed's daughter, Mary is the holiest woman ever created.  In the book, The World's First Love,  by Ven. Fulton Sheen, he has one whole chapter entitled "Mary and the Moslems". His hopeful and prophetic conclusion is that it will be Mary who will be the unifying force between Catholics and Moslems (Muslims).  

If you will go on the Internet and type in the words, "Mary and the Moslems", you will find many articles supporting this hope.  You may be able to build a little bridge of unification in your own little world.  

May the Holy Spirit guide you.

Some Catholics seem to be anti-Christ too. If you both respect each other’s beliefs there is no conflict at all. Why would it be a sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.