Tree Grown From Ancient Seed Found in Jewish Fortress

Friday, June 13, 2008
By Clara Moskowitz

foxnews.com/images/379941/0_61_080612_methuselah.jpg foxnews.com/images/379941/0_41_080612_methuselah.jpg
foxnews.com/images/379941/0_42_080612_seeds.jpg

Scientists have grown a tree from what may be the oldest seed ever germinated.
The new sapling was sprouted from a 2,000-year-old date palm excavated in Masada, the site of a cliff-side fortress in Israel where ancient Jews are said to have killed themselves to avoid capture by Roman invaders.
Dubbed the “Methuselah Tree” after the oldest person in the Bible, the new plant has been growing steadily, and after 26 months, the tree was nearly four feet (1.2 meters) tall.
The species of tree, called the Judean date, (Phoenix dactylifera L.), is now extinct in Israel, but researchers are hoping that by reviving the plant they may be able to study its medicinal uses.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,366145,00.html

Is this the greatest? Seeds that were there at the roundabout time of Jesus!

That is neat! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Wow. That is very cool. Maybe they can get new seeds and replant the trees in Israel with the help of this tree so they are no longer extinct in Israel. :thumbsup::cool:

I was just stopping by to post a thread about this and I see you beat me to it! That’s pretty incredible that a seed could sprout after almost 2,000 years. The article says the type of tree is now extinct, but surely with the growth of this one tree, there is something that can be done to revive the species and grow more?

I certainly hope so! Israel is into trees as I did plant one when I was there in 2000.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.