Tribute Thread to Disney Villains

Who are the most evil Disney villains? Here are my favorites:
David Xanatos (Gargoyles)
Hades (Hercules)
Demona (Gargoyles)
Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)
Scar (The Lion King)
Frollo (the Hunchback of Notre Dame)--although I like the book's version better, this was an excellent portrayal.
Rattigan (The Great Mouse Detective)--basically Moriarity in rodent form.
Negaduck (Darkwing Duck)
Syndrome (The Incredibles)
Syd (Toy Story)
Ursula (The Little Mermaid)
The Coachman (Pinocchio)--"They never come back AS BOYS!" (he scared you when you were a kid, admit it!)
Zera (The Lion King II)
Don Carnage (Talespin)
Shan-Yu (Mulan)

I think the old woman villains from Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella are some of the best. They are so imperious and motivated by by vanity, greed, and power.

Ursula (Little Mermaid), Frollo (Hunchback) and Rattigan (Great Mouse Detective) are close seconds.

oh Don't forget Jafar (Aladdin), he is quite evil and really really creepy at the end.

I always argue that Maleficent is the most evil of the Disney villains on account of the fact that she seems to be evil for evil's sake and no other worldly motivation....and she is the only one that claims to wield the powers of Hell. ;)

The Horned King from the Black Cauldron and Frollo give me more of the shivers though.

I enjoy watching Gaston. Misogynistic and macho to the point of hilarity.

One of my favourite Disney villans (even if the character is not originally Disney) is Captain Hook. I like how human yet comical they make him in the animated version.

My FAVOURITE villain though is the bad guy in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think he was meant to be a politician or something similar? He tried to use religion as a reason to kill the gypsys, or used it to justify him. That scene where he is praying to Our Lady for help in his evil plan still gives me goosebumps even now.

Edit: His name is Frollo! Here is the lyrics to the song I just mentioned. Reading the lyrics, its amazing just how much detail they give to some of the villains. And just how political some of Disney’s films were.

Priests:Confiteor Deo Omnipotenti (I confess to God almighty) / Beatae Mariae semper Virgini (To blessed Mary ever Virgin) / Beato Michaeli archangelo (To the blessed archangel Michael) / Sanctis apostolis omnibus sanctis (To the holy apostles, to all the saints)

Frollo:Beata Maria You know I am a righteous man Of my virtue I am justly proud

Priests: Et tibit Pater (And to you, Father)

Frollo: Beata Maria You know I’m so much purer than The common, vulgar, weak, licentious crowd

Priests: Quia peccavi nimis (That I have sinned)

Frollo: Then tell me, Maria Why I see her dancing there Why her smold’ring eyes still scorch my soul

Priests: Cogitatione (In thought)

Frollo: I feel her, I see her The sun caught in raven hair Is blazing in me out of all control

Priests: Verbo et opere (In word and deed)

Frollo: Like fire Hellfire This fire in my skin This burning Desire Is turning me to sin It’s not my fault

Priests: Mea culpa (Through my fault)

Frollo: I’m not to blame

Frollo: It is the gypsy girl The witch who sent this flame

Priests: Mea maxima culpa (Through my most griveous fault)

Frollo: It’s not my fault

Frollo: If in God’s plan

Frollo: He made the devil so much Stronger than a man

Priests: Mea maxima culpa (Through my most griveous fault)

Frollo: Protect me, Maria Don’t let this siren cast her spell Don’t let her fire sear my flesh and bone Destroy Esmeralda And let her taste the fires of hell Or else let her be mine and mine alone Hellfire Dark fire Now gypsy, it’s your turn Choose me or Your pyre Be mine or you will burn

Priests: Kyrie Eleison (Lord have mercy)

Frollo: God have mercy on her

Frollo: God have mercy on me

Frollo:But she will be mine Or she will burn!

Only about three.

Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame) - He embodies pretty much all that I wish to rid from our religion: Self-righteousness and hypocrisy. That and his song song Hellfire is hauntingly epic!

Hades (Hercules)- Hmm... lesee, dark, gloomy, a fast talker, hot-headed, power hungry, ambitious, hurls fire to let loose frustration... Sounds a lot like somebody I know. sees mirror What are you lookin' at? :mad: Oh, and fave scene:

Pain: Ehehe... thirsty? ^^;

Hades: ARRRRRRRRRGHH!!! D8< blows everything up
Captain Barbossa** (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl) - Aaah, possibly my most favorite. Cunning, manipulative, and most all, cursed and driven to such villainy because of it.

Look! The moonlight shows us for what we really are. We're not among the livin' and so we cannot die but neither are we dead. Fer too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it. Too long I've bin starvin' t'death and haven't died. I feel nothin'. Not the wind on my face or the spray 'o the sea... or the warmth of a woman's flesh... Ye best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner... you're in one!

I don't know if they are my favorites but I feel like naming some others that have not been mentioned and are still cool.

The snake from Jungle Book (was his name Kaa)
For that matter I don't think Sher Kahn has been named either

The witch from Sword in the Stone (was it Mad Madden Minn or something like that)

Was Fern Gully Disney? It had Robbin Williams in it when he was with Disney so I'm guessing it was, but the villian in that one: Hexus

And althought this was not Disney per se, since I think it was a combo with Warner Brothers or something, but because they even dedicate part of Disneyland to it, I think the Chistopher Lloyd character, Judge, from Who Framed Roger Rabit should count.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:5, topic:214724"]

Pain: Ehehe... thirsty? ^^;

Hades: ARRRRRRRRRGHH!!! D8< blows everything up

My fave bit was when the Titans were marching off to Olympus...in the wrong direction.
Titans: ZEUS!
Hades: Uh, Olympus is that way.
Titans: (turn the other way) ZEUS!

[/quote]

[quote="Kit15, post:3, topic:214724"]
I always argue that Maleficent is the most evil of the Disney villains on account of the fact that she seems to be evil for evil's sake and no other worldly motivation....and she is the only one that claims to wield the powers of Hell. ;)

[/quote]

I agree with this. She is quite terrifying.

I also think that Madame Medusa from The Rescuers, voiced creepily and slimily by the marvelous actress, Geraldine Page, is very scary. Madame Medusa, who is apparently homicidally insane, kidnaps the little orphan, Penny merely because she needs a skinny child to drop into the cave to retrieve the Devil's Eye. Then the worthless child will be left to die. THAT is sooooo scary! To me, there is nothing more frightening than a child kidnapper who intends to abuse the child to the point of death, and that's what Madame Medusa is doing. And Penny is not a mermaid or a princess or a future wizard or a little forever-boy--Penny is a real little girl, with no super powers or magic or friendly dragon or fairy dust to pull out to defeat her tormentor. She's just a little girl, just like all the little girls you and I know.

The whole story of the Rescuers is much too close to real life--in recent years, little girls have been kidnapped by very evil people (e.g., the Dugards), and unfortunately, there are no little mice rescue societies to help them out. I vote for Madame Medusa--she's the scariest because she's the closest to a real-life villainess.

[quote="Cat, post:8, topic:214724"]

I also think that Madame Medusa from The Rescuers, voiced creepily and slimily by the marvelous actress, Geraldine Page, is very scary. Madame Medusa, who is apparently homicidally insane, kidnaps the little orphan, Penny merely because she needs a skinny child to drop into the cave to retrieve the Devil's Eye. Then the worthless child will be left to die. THAT is sooooo scary! To me, there is nothing more frightening than a child kidnapper who intends to abuse the child to the point of death, and that's what Madame Medusa is doing. And Penny is not a mermaid or a princess or a future wizard or a little forever-boy--Penny is a real little girl, with no super powers or magic or friendly dragon or fairy dust to pull out to defeat her tormentor. She's just a little girl, just like all the little girls you and I know.

The whole story of the Rescuers is much too close to real life--in recent years, little girls have been kidnapped by very evil people (e.g., the Dugards), and unfortunately, there are no little mice rescue societies to help them out. I vote for Madame Medusa--she's the scariest because she's the closest to a real-life villainess.

[/quote]

Oh Gosh Cat, you scared me! I haven't seen the Rescuers....

My least favorite villain is Cinderella's step-mother.

In a modern day story, Cinderella would get a restraining order against them...."excuse me. would you mind vacating my house, do your own housework, and don't think I'm not going to the ball". :p

The voices of both Malficent and Cinderella's stepmother, Lady Tremaine, were done by Eleanor Audley.
Now THAT was a scary voice to a child!

the evil uncle in the Lion King
the scariest to me, and I had nightmares then and probably still would if I saw it today, is the evil queen in Snow White
most lovable are the fox and his sidekick in Pinocchio
Cruella DeVille (cartoon version of 101 Dalmations) is scary just because she is so much like a real person

And my vote for the funniest (sorry!) goes to Prince John, Sir Hiss and the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood", not to mention genius casting for the voices (Peter Ustinov for Prince John and the inimitable Pat Buttram as the Sheriff!)

As for scariest... hands down, "Sleeping Beauty's" Maleficent "And now, you shall deal with ME, O Prince, and ALL THE POWERS OF HELL!" (side note: And thus, hands down, my favorite hero will always be Prince Philip!)

[quote="puzzleannie, post:11, topic:214724"]
the evil uncle in the Lion King
the scariest to me, and I had nightmares then and probably still would if I saw it today, is the evil queen in Snow White
most lovable are the fox and his sidekick in Pinocchio
Cruella DeVille (cartoon version of 101 Dalmations) is scary just because she is so much like a real person

[/quote]

I was trying to think of the ones that people forgot to list and I can't believe no one thought of Cruella DeVille until you.

At least I remember the song now that you mention it: "Cruella DeVille, Cruella DeVille, if she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will. . . then the only other phrase I remember is an ending leading to the refrain "watching you from underneath a rock or was it like a hawk, I don't remember... Cruella Deville, Cruella Deville...

Here are some others that I don't think were mentioned
How about the Red Queen from Alice and Wonderland? Or the bad guy in the Ducktails movie, Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

[quote="Cat, post:8, topic:214724"]

[/quote]

I was thinking of this character as my pick last night but I forgot her name. The movie was good and I always thought that Devil's island was some made up place for the movie until later finding out that it was a prison in real life.

There is also the sequel with the poacher as the bad guy in Austrailia. Then another movie with a villian that uses a girl is Scarface (the All Dogs go to Heaven one, not the Al Pacino one, though he's awesome too); I always thought he was a cool villian; but that's not a Disney cartoon so it does not count.

I thought of one! Clopin from the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

He starts of as the narrator, then the fool at the parade who helps liberate Quasimodo (and then brings him down), and then he tries to kill Quasimodo and the good soldier! One of the most complex Disney characters ever.

(Sorry for mentioning it again and again, I love that film).

[quote="bluerose, post:12, topic:214724"]

As for scariest... hands down, "Sleeping Beauty's" Maleficent "And now, you shall deal with ME, O Prince, and ALL THE POWERS OF HELL!" (side note: And thus, hands down, my favorite hero will always be Prince Philip!)

[/quote]

Agree, and also just add, after Sleeping Beauty fell under the spell, she went and kidnapped Prince Philip. But her plan was not to kill him (oh no that was enough for her), she told him she was going to keep him until he was old and then release him so as an old man he can then go and break the spell with his kiss. She just laughed at him. She really was wicked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.