Tridentine Latin Mass (Dunn, North Carolina)

Yesterday I attended my first indult Tridentine Latin Mass at Sacred Heart parish in Dunn, North Carolina. It was absolutely beautiful to hear the liturgy sung all the way through. I can definitely see why the Latin Mass appeals to so many people. That language seems made for singing, and there is something holy about it.
This is the only indult Latin Mass in North Carolina, and was about a two hour drive, but it was worth the trip. One thing that surprised me was how long the Mass lasted – nearly two hours. In places I found it hard to follow along (even with the English/Latin Mass-book provided by the church as we walked in) simply because the priest did most of the talking and doing, and I being new to the Latin Mass seldom knew what part he was on. I still loved it very much and I wish more parishes were able to provide this.
But I also love the Pauline Mass in the vernacular, especially when it is done in high style like the ones at my parish usually are. The Easter Vigil was just breathtaking this year, all sung from start to finish – in English, and still very beautiful.

One question I have is: Do all TLM’s last that long, or was this perhaps what is known as a “high Mass?” :smiley:

One question I have is: Do all TLM’s last that long, or was this perhaps what is known as a “high Mass?”

Since it was all sung, it was a high mass or missa cantata.

A low mass, which was the norm in the pre-NO mass days, is shorter, sometimes a lot shorter. 35 to 40 minutes from *introit altare dei *to ite missa est.

Of course, back in the day communion lines were a lot shorter , so that cut down the time as well.

[quote=Cherub] One thing that surprised me was how long the Mass lasted – nearly two hours. In places I found it hard to follow along (even with the English/Latin Mass-book provided by the church as we walked in) simply because the priest did most of the talking and doing, and I being new to the Latin Mass seldom knew what part he was on. I still loved it very much and I wish more parishes were able to provide this.

One question I have is: Do all TLM’s last that long, or was this perhaps what is known as a “high Mass?” :smiley:
[/quote]

The misslettes should have pictures showing what the priest’s postition at the altar beside the text along with some explaining text. Since I was raised going to the Latin Mass, it came right back to me. My wife converted in 1972 and has just been exposed to TLM for about a month and is still learning.

It sounds like you were at a High Mass since there was singing. Our High Mass on Easter lasted a little over an hour so yours was quite a bit longer. I suppose the difference is in the length of the sermon and the number of people in attendence and receiving Communion. We have about 100 in attendence on a normal Sunday for the High Mass and Easter was just slightly larger.

[quote=Cherub]Y In places I found it hard to follow along (even with the English/Latin Mass-book provided by the church as we walked in) simply because the priest did most of the talking and doing, and I being new to the Latin Mass seldom knew what part he was on. I still loved it very much and I wish more parishes were able to provide this.

[/quote]

After attending 5 or 6 times, you should notice a huge improvement in your ability to follow along.

Pay attention to postures and it is helpful to have a good understanding of the basic structure of the mass.

Sounds like a High Sung Mass. Mine on Easter took about 2 hours. Low Masses at my Church last about an hour and 15 minutes.
I had one year of Latin in High School so it only took me about 2-3 times to follow with no problem.
Glad you liked it.
Kathy

After a few times it will feel “like church.” I get to go to one this weekend I hope and it’s a FSSP parish, and I hope to attend a few times this week for daily mass.

Cherub,
I wasn’t able to go to that Mass, but Fr Parkerson said that was to be a missa cantata–essentially a low Mass, but sung. He usually has a low Mass during the week and once a month, but is planning for a High Mass on May 1 in Rocky Mount, if I’m not mistaken.

I also went to the Tridentine High Mass on Easter Sunday. The more I go, the easier I find it to follow along in the missal. There is only one Indult in my city, and right across the street from the church is a SSPX chapel, I almost wonder why the Bishop chose the church that he chose for the Indult? :rolleyes:

There is only one Indult in my city, and right across the street from the church is a SSPX chapel, I almost wonder why the Bishop chose the church that he chose for the Indult?

It would be stupid if the bishop had an appropriate location across the street and didn’t choose it.

The best place for a shoe store is next store to another shoe store, and the same marketing strategy applies here. I haven’t been there, but the location choice is likely to benefit both masses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.