Tridentine Mass in the Philippines

Are there any Tridentine Mass being done publicly here in the Philippines? So far, I know only two, one in Divine Mercy Church in Sikatuna Village, Quezon City. The other, according to second hand information, is at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima in Valenzuela City.

Please let me know. Do you know any Tridentine Masses being done at any Philippine-based churches, especially in Metro Manila and in Laguna? :confused:

AFAIK the two churches you mentioned offers at least Sunday Tridentine Masses in Metro Manila.

prodeoetpatria.blogspot.com/2007/09/september-16-holy-sacrifice-of-mass.html

The Tridentine Mass is also offered in Bohol and I believe the Jaro Tridentine Masses continues.

prodeoetpatria.blogspot.com/2007/09/extraordinary-form-offered-in-bohol.html

Since September 14, the number of TLMs celebrated in the Philippines has substantially increased.

Prior to September 14, the TLM was celebrated in four dioceses every Sunday:

1. Diocese of Cubao (at Lord of Divine Mercy Parish Church, Sundays 1:30 PM, every thirteenth of the Month @ 3 PM, and Holy Days normally @ 3 PM.)
  2. Archdiocese of Jaro (at the Cathedral of Jaro on Sundays, and in the Seminary on First Fridays – Jaro was one of the first dioceses in the world to grant an indult.)
  3. Diocese of Bacolod
  4. Diocese of Imus (initially celebrated in the St. Michael Parish in Bacoor, but later moved to private houses due to lack of attendees)

In addition, there were regular (at least once a month) private masses in Cubao, Cagayan De Oro, Camiguin, Davao and in Quiapo, Manila. All of these masses except in Quiapo (whose former celebrant is currently suffering from a serious illness) have continued to the present.

There used to be an every-Sunday “private” TLM in 2004 in the Christ the King SVD Seminary in QC (where I once served) but the SVD fathers would have none of it and banished the priest. He was forced to continue celebrating the TLM in aprivate chapel in Manila until his departure for his home country last year.

After September 14, the following Masses were added

1. Diocese of Bulacan (at National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Valenzuela City, Sundays, 8 PM)

(in addition to the TLM at Fatima, there is a private mass currently being celebrated weekly somewhere in Bulacan – contact me off list for details)

1. Diocese of Tagbilaran (at Assumption of Our Lady, Dauis, Bohol; DAILY Tridentine Mass celebrated by Fr. Joseph Skelton!) It’s technically a private mass but… people can come in :slight_smile:

Contact me off-list for more details

Carlos Antonio Palad
a humble member of Una Voce America
residing in Quezon City, Philippines (Diocese of Cubao)

In Laguna, there are several priests who expressed interest in learning the TLM in the aftermath of Summorum Pontificum. There used to be an “independent chapel” in Laguna served by an elderly priest, but I don’t know if he is still alive. And, just two Sundays ago, Bishop Salvador Quizon – who is 83 years old – celebrated a one-time TLM at St. Therese Parish in the University of the Philippines Los Banos.

There’s also another elderly priest privately celebrating TLM in the Diocese of Antipolo.

Nice to know there are now additional private masses offered. There could be more.

Thanks Carlos for keeping us updated. :thumbsup:

I am glad to hear that the Philippines still has the Traditional Mass and will definitely attend them when I return home later this year. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

Well for me, I like the Tridentine Mass. I didn’t live during the time of pre-Vatican II era (I was born 1987), but I love it because of the disciplined people, the quality of the liturgy and the unique atmosphere as compared to “Born-Again influenced” Novus Ordo counterpart.

I have nothing against Novus Ordo, but what I want to say is that we should appreciate the things that was practiced before. Tridentine Mass is the accustomed mass of the medieval saints and martyrs of the Church.

Problem with us is that we tend to forget the cultures and customs that we have in exchange for modern principles. As teh popular Filipino quote says: Ang hindi lumingon sa pinanggalingan, ay hindi makakarating sa pinaroroonan. We should never forget the century-old custom of Latin Mass, just like Jose Rizal and the Katipuneros who fought for our independence.

1 Like

I would just like to add another info about the Tridentine…

Quezon City
Our Lady of Victories Church
2 Cannon Road, New Manila,
Quezon City 1112

Tel: [63] (2) 725-5926
or [63] (2) 413-1978
Fax: [63] (2) 725-0725
E-mail:

Weekly Mass Schedule:
Sunday: 9:00am (Missa Cantata);
6:00pm (Low Mass)
Mon.- Sat: 7:15 am; 6:30 pm
Wed: Novena to O.L.of Perpetual help (after 6:30 Mass)

Confessions
Sunday:during Masses/ Wed. 6:30 pm
Friday and Saturday:7:15 am & 6:30 pm

Resident Priests
Fr. Joven Soliman (Prior)
Fr. Thomas Onoda
Fr. Edgardo Suelo
Fr Cacho
Fr Dolotina

Note: The priests celebrating the TLM are members of the Society of St. Pius X. Only TLM are offered here. NO NOVUS ORDO.

I got this info from a message in Friendster. I admit that I went to this church, but… well, long story to tell…::o

Dear Raffy,

In recent years, the Holy See has begun to take a more lenient stance towards attendance in SSPX Masses. See the following documents:

Ecclesia Dei Commission Protocol 539 / 99

January 18, 2003 letter of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei on attendance in SSPX Masses

It is quite obvious that it is not a mortal sin to attend SSPX.

I might add that, in the first Directory for Ecumenism published by the Holy See in 1967, the Holy See had given the general rule that, as long as it is not a habit, people may attend non-Catholic worship if the intention is to become better informed about the Church or community in question.

Now, the SSPX is not even a “non-Catholic” group, but a Catholic group in an irregular canonical situation.

For the record, I am neither a member of an SSPX congregation nor do I normally attend SSPX Masses. However, I do intend to attend the chanting of Christmas Matins there, for the very simple reason that no indult community in the Philippines is capable of chanting Matins (or Vespers) in a solemn manner, and Christmas Matins chanted near midnight is one of the great treasures of Catholic worship.

What about that Most Holy Redeemer Parish/St. Philomena Shrine? Do they still offer the Tridentine?

No, not anymore, because the TLM that used to be celebrated there has been moved to the Lord of Divine Mercy Parish in Sikatuna.

Here are photos and videos from the Traditional Mass in the Philippines. All are from the Parish of the Lord of the Divine Mercy, Sikatuna Village, Quezon City.

Christmas Day Mass Photos

New Year’s Mass Video 1

New Year’s Mass Video 2

Do they only allow sSPX members to attend their Masses? What is their (SSPX’s) Friendster username account?

They are open for everyone. I have no idea about their friendster account, and the one who send me the info is a former seminarian of sspx who is now serving in diocese. He is not even my friend in friendster.

I didn’t know people here in the Phil. still attend an SSPX chapel; everyone seems so liberal…:shrug:

There have been many leaving the Catholic Church in the Philippines for more evangelical services and I truely believe that the Tridentine Mass will bring them home again :byzsoc: .
Ang hindi lumingon sa pinanggalingan, ay hindi makakarating sa pinaroroonan.

I frequently attend the TLM were I live and after hearing stories (and seeing pictures) of the Extraordinary Form of the Mass being offered in other parts of the world, especially in the Philippines, I can’t help but feel spiritually connected to them (apart from being Catholic of course :o )

Dear friends;

In case nobody’s noticed, there is now a regular Traditional Latin Mass in CEBU:

Eucharistic Sacrifice offered in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite
at the Archdiocesan Shrine of Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno
in the Monastery of the Society of the Angel of Peace
Cansojong, Talisay City, Cebu,
Every Sunday at 3 o’clock in the afternoon.

There is now also a regular Traditional Latin Mass in the Archdiocese of Manila.

Thanks to Summorum Pontificum, we can now announce that a regular TLM is being celebrated once more every First Friday and on certain feast days (as announced), in the following venue in the City of Manila:

The Marian Library and Information Center
1170 R. Hidalgo Street, Manila

Please call the following numbers to find out Mass times:

Tel. Nos: 632+704-9712
632+309-3575

This center features a small library full of pre-Vatican II books on the liturgy, Catholic doctrine and morals, etc. The chapel of the center is very small – it can fit about 15-20 people, all in all – but the altar is placed ad orientem. This tiny center is located on the road between two of the great shrines of central Manila: the Basilica of the Nazarene (or Quiapo Basilica) and San Sebastian Church, a Gothic-style structure made entirely of Belgian steel. The center itself is practically under the shadow of the latter shrine.

The celebrant is Msgr. Melencio De Vera, a former rector of Manila Cathedral.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.