Tridentine Mass-Negative reaction from priests?

Hello,

Here in my great land, we’ve been getting peppered with periodic negativity about the Tridentine Mass coming back.

Said one priest: I just don’t get this new permission. How are we all going to be closer to God by looking at the priest’s back, mumbling something in Latin we don’t even know what it means.

But the topper: a local priest put in the bulletin an article written by a priest in Maryland (if you’re clever, you can find it online). The article bashed the Tridentine Mass and those who like it: “They are mostly elderly, they don’t like singing…shaking hands…communion in both forms…having three readings. What they like most about the Latin Mass is that they can get in and out in less than 45 minutes.” He goes on and on, ending with that the only people pressing for the Tridentine Mass are the SSPX people and a few young ones curious about a Mass they never saw. He concludes by saying “we can offer it. But almost no one will come.”

Now, let me reiteriate, the priest who put this in his bulletin didn’t write this article, but obviously feels the same way. Well, Father (you know who you are-and expect a personal email from me, btw), you’re right no one will come. Not until priests like you who only find outrage about the disobedience about SSPX and never Call to Action or Women Priests or making Eucharistic Hosts improperly, I could go on and on. No, no one will come until you stop bashing it.

I think i’d prefer the Mass in latin, and there is a parish near me that plans to offer it- I think I’ll check it out if I get the chance.

Some people just don’t seem to understand the attraction of Tradition and of cohesion between today’s liturgy and the liturgy of centuries past.

Alot of people also don’t seem to realize that the mystery of the Eucharist is what attracts alot of people to the Mass. Because the mystery is so central and the liturgy so solemn in the TLM, it attracts many people.

We also have to remember that from c. 1965 to c. 1980, Diocesan seminaries were extremely liberal, generally preaching that the Church needed to be overhauled, and things needed to be done in “the spirit of Vatican II.”

However, priests ordained after 1980 tend to be more othodox, and the secular and liberal-Catholic media tend to call priests ordained since the late eighties (after the FSSP and similar groups were founded) the “young fogies,” secretly implying that they are Orthodox, loyal, knowledgable, and generally humble enough to know that they cannot re-write the mass, as many older, more liberal priests think.

Good for the “young fogeys”:smiley:

In July our priest said he would brush up on his Latin and do it if there were enough interest to warrant it…
Hasn’t happend so far…

Our priest is probably more typical - he doesn’t know Latin at all. He will go with the flow, but learning Latin and a new mass rite because a few people might come may not be a good investment of his time. He already says 7 weekend masses in English and Spanish in addition to his other duties.

A thought. I see frequent reminders on this forum (and I remind my CCD students as well) that the purpose of Mass is not to “get something out of it, i.e. be entertained”, but to offer worship and praise to God.

Although the TLM might be more entertaining (for a time at least) for those who’ve never seen it, or more “mysterious” (until you figure it out), how can one possibly worship and praise God better in a language you don’t understand versus one that you do?

Latin Mass could be more meaningful thatn other forms- think about it- you’re parying the same way as millions of Catholics throughout history- now that’s universality:)

Yes, I’d be praying the same way as millions of Catholics who understood Latin as their native language - or close derivative.

In all honesty, the prayers of the Traditional Latin Mass are vastly superior. If you’ve ever just read through the prayers of the Mass in the 1962 Missal, you’ll immediately recognize that you’re reading something ancient and deeply traditional. The prayers are longer, they’re more detailed, they offer a full and completely unapologetic exposition of Catholic docrine, and they aren’t politically correct in the least. The ancient liturgy isn’t tailored to appeal to protestants or to appease jews. It’s purely Catholic, and it’s absolute focus is upon the great sacrifice, miracle, and mystery of the Most Holy Eucharist.

That’s what makes it so appealing for me.

And if the priests can’t understand the Latin, they can’t twist it, either:p

Because the Lord apparently likes to use the Latin Mass to draw me into contemplative prayer … it is usually far easier for me to feel the Presence of God in the Latin Mass. And while I studied three years of Latin in high school, to me, it’s not about the language per se … I’d be happy with a Japanese Mass, and have happily attended Masses in Spanish. That said, the Spanish Mass never affected me like the Latin Mass, so maybe there IS something about the Latin language itself …

It’s gotten to the point where I feel a bit guilty when I go to the English-language Mass instead, since the English-language Mass is located far more conveniently and would take up less of my day. It sometimes feels like when I choose the English-language Mass over the Latin Mass, I’m cheating myself out of a closer relationship with God.

~~ the phoenix

This is a good point…
When I said above the the TLM hasn’t happened, it isn’t because of our priests language skills (he speaks English, French, Spanish, and the language of his native African country)
I only know of one family who is really interested…

Ya know, I’ve seen that objection several times now since the Moto Proprio came out and I just don’t understand it. The priest at my home parish(es) in the PGH diocese often says the Ordinary Form in just under a half hour. Is that a problem? I say no because he says mass relatively reverantly and adheres to the GIRM (with the exception of leaving the sanctuary to shake hands, but I can live with that when there are even worse abuses in other parishes).

I think that the real reason we’ve a Novus Ordo Mass said in ~30 minutes is simply because our priest says masses at four different churches six times every weekend, bless his heart and God help him. I’ve heard rumor that he ordered some latin/english missals for the main church in the area, but I’m not certain that HE, HIMSELF is going to be offering the Extraordinary form since he is so strapped for time on the weekends. I think that if he were to say the Latin Mass it would have a good effect on him and our parish(es). The Latin, I think, would SLOW him down a bit.

Like I said, I just don’t understand the time argument here, perhaps it’s just because of my experiences.

My school offers daily Mass, and it takes all of 20 minutes

I’m not too surprised that there isnt a great demand - people rarely demand things they know nothing about (except maybe through distant memories and lukewarm/negative newspaper accounts).

Though, I’m making the assumption that there isn’t a convenient extraordinary form mass near your church and that the majority of parishioners are unfamiliar with it. Forgive me if I’m wrong.

Wow! What a comment from a Catholic priest…
I can’t believe that a priest can say such thing about the Church’s traditions.
I’ll understand if that comment is coming from a protestant minister, but from a Catholic priest… terrible.
I guess he did not know that the Traditional Latin Mass was prayed and celebrated by many of our saints even the pope.

Let us pray for him and for those who wish to discredit the VENERABLE and SACRED TRIDENTINE MASS that they may be enlightened from their negative thinking.

Pax

No, there’s not one that I’m aware of nearby. There probably is one to be found locally, but it would mean quite a drive in city traffic.
Our parish is mostly young families who, like me, have probably never heard the TLM. Along with many from Latin and South America, the Carribean Islands, and the Phillipines.

Whoever said this, priest or not, is a fool. Many people drive this long and much longer, one way, just to get to a TLM. Gone are the days of the legendary speed masses. The TLM community is all about reverence. The indult mass I attend is right around an hour long as a low mass and about an hour and twenty-five minutes as a sung or “high” mass.

And there is no shortage of young families attending.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.