Tridentine mass questions

I will be attending my first one in a week (it is authorized by the local bishop) and I am thinking of bringing an Evangelical with me. First of all,

a) is it such a good idea or will it scare the person off
b) is it in English
c) is there anything I need to know prior to attending

Thanks in advance

[quote=Catholic Tom]I will be attending my first one in a week (it is authorized by the local bishop) and I am thinking of bringing an Evangelical with me. First of all,

b) is it in English

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Answers:

a) Don’t know if it will scare him off or not. It will be something quite different from anything he has seen before!
b) No, it will be entirely in Latin, although the Epistle and Gospel will be read a second time in English and the sermon will be given in English – all the rest will be Latin.
c) You will (normally) kneel to receive communion on the tongue. People not going to communion should not go up “for a blessing” as this practice did not exist in the early 1960s.

Deacon Ed

cool, thanks Ed

I’m confused about why it’s entirely in Latin if we can’t understand the words we are singing? It should be interesting but I find it weird that I’m offering up prayers and hymns that I don’t understand.

The people don’t sing the mass, the priest and choir sing it,(or the priest and altar boys say it) the people listen and pray.

It is a beautiful experience and takes time to get used to. The Missal has the Latin on one side and the English on the other, and it took me 6 months to get used to it. But the important thing is you are going to the one True Mass, and not the Novus Ordo, where reverence is lacking and liturgical abuse is common. Try going to a High Mass, as that is the most beautiful and much easier to follow than a low Mass

God bless you and lets pray that the Tridentine Mass is the ONLY mass in our church when Vatican III takes place

O how I wish there was a Tridentine Latin Mass in my diocese! I would give anything to be able to attend a high Mass every week. I get so discouraged by the recklessness of the novus ordo Masses, so disheartened. But I always offer up my suffering through them, and pray that God will move His hand and bring the Church back in line.

[quote=jtnova]It is a beautiful experience and takes time to get used to. The Missal has the Latin on one side and the English on the other, and it took me 6 months to get used to it. But the important thing is you are going to the one True Mass, and not the Novus Ordo, where reverence is lacking and liturgical abuse is common. Try going to a High Mass, as that is the most beautiful and much easier to follow than a low Mass Not so! To say that the TLM is the one true Mass and “not the Novus Ordo” places you in serious error. Any Mass can be subject to abuse (read Marius’ objective biorgraphy of Luther and what Luther related to be his experience when celebrating the Mass in Rome, in Latin, before his apostacy.) One would guess, by your post, that you are a devotee of SSPX, a schismatic group. Perhaps you would like to clarify?

God bless you and lets pray that the Tridentine Mass is the ONLY mass in our church when Vatican III takes place
[/quote]

Let us not. The Mass of Paul VI is as dear to some of us as the TLM is to you.

a)Don’t know…it depends on the person…but they will be totally lost and confused as will you on your first visit. I love the Latin Mass and I am still learning more each time I go. I recommend you getting a St. Andrews Daily Missal and read it prior to Mass…you will know which scriptures are being read, you will learn prayers, and you will learn responses.

b)It is done entirely in Latin…in some Churches they re-read the Gospel in English, but they don’t do it at mine. The Homily will also be given in English…the rest is Latin.

c)You receive Holy Communion on the tongue and down on your knees. Dress nice. I don’t know how it is at other places, but the men always were suits, or a blazer with nice slacks and a shirt and tie. Women will be dressed in modest dresses and wearing a veil…or the majority of them will at least. There is a lot more kneeling during a latin Mass…I recommend sitting a little further back…because you will not know when to stand, sit, or kneel…it can be very confusing…Also, the Priest will have his back to you, because he will be facing the Altar, which is flipped around from the Altars you are used to seeing today.

Congrats on experiencing your first Latin Mass…you will be confused to don’t get discouraged…I loved it and I enjoy more and more each time I go…it is a wonderful experience. I hope there is another Vatican Council which will reinstate the Latin Mass as the primary Mass.

[quote=Catholic Tom]I will be attending my first one in a week (it is authorized by the local bishop) and I am thinking of bringing an Evangelical with me. First of all,

b) is it in English

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

[quote=Catholic Tom] First of all,

[/quote]

If your going to bring someone try to make sure that the Mass will be sung (Missa Cantata) or better yet, if possible take them to a Solemn High Mass as this is the unabridged form of the Traditional Mass

as the old (1907) Catholic Encyolpedia states:

This high Mass is the norm; it is only in the complete rite with deacon and subdeacon that the ceremonies can be understood. Thus, the rubrics of the Ordinary of the Mass always suppose that the Mass is high. Low Mass, said by a priest alone with one server, is a shortened and simplified form of the same thing. Its ritual can be explained only by a reference to high Mass. For instance, the celebrant goes over to the north side of the altar to read the Gospel, because that is the side to which the deacon goes in procession at high Mass; he turns round always by the right, because at high Mass he should not turn his back to the deacon and so on. A sung Mass (missa Cantata) is a modern compromise. It is really a low Mass, since the essence of high Mass is not the music but the deacon and subdeacon.”

[quote=jtnova]It is a beautiful experience and takes time to get used to. The Missal has the Latin on one side and the English on the other, and it took me 6 months to get used to it. But the important thing is you are going to the one True Mass, and not the Novus Ordo, where reverence is lacking and liturgical abuse is common. Try going to a High Mass, as that is the most beautiful and much easier to follow than a low Mass

[/quote]

jtnova,

I’m interested in your reformed, neo-tridentinist philosophy.

Of course, the Latin/English Missal is a modern, reformist inventing. Such Missals wer prohibited for centuries. In teh 19th century, dissident Germans began publishing Latin/German Missals. The Vatican condemend them but because of the political situation in Germany (Kulturekampf) was unable to make its decree effective.

Later, as is so often the case, they gave in to these disobedient children and permitted these bilingual missals.

wow, this is really interesting stuff…I’m kinda excited to check this out. Spoke with my mom about it and she remembers the old mass and she loved it…except she remembered not really understanding it.

Tom,

If you’ve grown up with the novus ordo you will probably expect the priest and choir to always be synchronized at the same point in the Mass. In the TLM this is not always the case. For ex: The priest starts the creed with “Credo in unum Deum”.then the choir joins in as you might expect, but the priest may finish the prayer before the choir. This may be true during the Sanctus as well. If the priest finishes the Sanctus before the choir he may continue on with the missal.

This is sometimes a point of confusion so keep this in mind during your first Mass.

[quote=jtnova]But the important thing is you are going to the one True Mass, and not the Novus Ordo, where reverence is lacking and liturgical abuse is common.
[/quote]

Yieeks!! :eek: I’m not sure I know how to respond to that in charity.

Don’t let this kind of talk confuse anyone. The TLM is a True Mass, but it isn’t the only one. There are several and there were several even back when the TLM was the norm. For Latin Rite Catholics, the Novus Ordo is the norm. The TLM is allowed with permission from the Bishop. They are both True Masses.

You are free to like one more than the other. It is true that reverence is lacking and liturgical abuse is common. But these problems are not inherent in the Novus Ordo itself. I prefer a properly celebrated Novos Ordo over the Tridentine Mass since I can follow it and pray it better. But right now, I prefer attending the Tridentine Mass to avoid irreverence and abuses. Bottom line is the Novus Ordo is a True Mass and very beautiful if done the way the Church intends.

[quote=jtnova]God bless you and lets pray that the Tridentine Mass is the ONLY mass in our church when Vatican III takes place
[/quote]

Lord, please don’t hear our prayer.

Pax et bonum

With all due respect, the Novus Ordo mass was made with the intention as a mimic of the Protestant Mass, where it is a known fact that 6 protestant Minsisters and Archbishop Bugnini, later found out to be a Mason and reprimanded by Pope Paul VI for this, created this mass with the hope of attracting Protestants to our Church, which never happened in the numbers they had expected, and to throw out the Traditions and “Open the Windows of the Church for all to see in”. Well this did not happen. The sacrements were changed, for example, we no longer have “the holy Sacrifice of the Mass” we now have “The Lords Supper” which is what the 6 Protestants wanted this changed to. The basic words of consecration were also changed, as Jesus never said “so that ALL may be forgiven” He said so that “Many” as not ALL get to heaven, which is what the Novus Ordo now are preaching with this One God and One World religion non-sense. I could and have written articles on this subject, and you are correct, under church Law, you can attend either one, but the One True Mass, as Codified by SAINT POPE PIUS V is the Tridentine Mass and not the New Mass. Yes, I am sure that Paul VI will someday be a saint, as JPII is now up to 470 cannonizations or something, more than all the Popes combined over the past 5 centuries and desparatly wants a Post Vatican II Pope Saint especially, but the educated laity know the church is in crisis and must find her way back to her roots

God bless

wow, I never knew people were so passionate about this subject. To be honest, i don’t think I will look at one mass or another as not being “valid” because as far as i am concerned, the Novus Ordo mass has everything it should for the proper sacrifice. If one is more beautiful or whatever, so be it, but not more valid in my opinion.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]***Let us not. The Mass of Paul VI is as dear to some of us as the TLM is to you.***No I am not a member, but St Pius X is NOT Schismatic and I have attended masses there, they ARE in Communion with Rome)
[/quote]

[quote=jtnova]With all due respect, the Novus Ordo mass was made with the intention as a mimic of the Protestant Mass, where it is a known fact that 6 protestant Minsisters …
[/quote]

As someone who was around for the Council, I am absolutely amazed at some of the mythical stories that get passed aroudn to the kiddies. No Protestants sat on any Counciliar commission including the one on the Sacred Liturgy. Orthodox and Protestant observers were invited into the Council, as were press reporters of various faiths.

we no longer have “the holy Sacrifice of the Mass” we now have “The Lords Supper”

We had both before the Council and we have both now.

which is what the Novus Ordo now are preaching with this One God and One World religion non-sense.

I happen to beleive in one God and one world religion. I make no apologies.

[No I am not a member, but St Pius X is NOT Schismatic and I have attended masses there, they ARE in Communion with Rome)
[/QUOTE]
They are, in fact, schismatic and their bishops excommunicated. Google it and you’ll see.
[/quote]

[quote=jtnova]With all due respect, the Novus Ordo mass was made with the intention as a mimic of the Protestant Mass, where it is a known fact that 6 protestant Minsisters and Archbishop Bugnini, later found out to be a Mason and reprimanded by Pope Paul VI for this, created this mass with the hope of attracting Protestants to our Church, which never happened in the numbers they had expected, and to throw out the Traditions and “Open the Windows of the Church for all to see in”. Well this did not happen. The sacrements were changed, for example, we no longer have “the holy Sacrifice of the Mass” we now have “The Lords Supper” which is what the 6 Protestants wanted this changed to. The basic words of consecration were also changed, as Jesus never said “so that ALL may be forgiven” He said so that “Many” as not ALL get to heaven, which is what the Novus Ordo now are preaching with this One God and One World religion non-sense. I could and have written articles on this subject, and you are correct, under church Law, you can attend either one, but the One True Mass, as Codified by SAINT POPE PIUS V is the Tridentine Mass and not the New Mass. Yes, I am sure that Paul VI will someday be a saint, as JPII is now up to 470 cannonizations or something, more than all the Popes combined over the past 5 centuries and desparatly wants a Post Vatican II Pope Saint especially, but the educated laity know the church is in crisis and must find her way back to her roots

God bless
[/quote]

Thank you for the “with all due respect!” We’d do well to all remember that! If you search all the threads on this topic, the arguments have been addressed pro and con. There is but one true mass. The Mass of Paul VI and the Tridentine Mass are the same Sacrifice. To assert otherwise is to be at odds with Holy Mother Church’s teachings.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]They are, in fact, schismatic and their bishops excommunicated. Google it and you’ll see.
[/quote]

Boy, this has been addressed and answered numerous times. I would suggest to our newest poster (jtnova) that he/she use the search function to see how well this schism has been addressed, if there is an interest in knowing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.