Tridentine Mass

Our Parish Priest has said that he categorically refuses to celebrate the Tridentine Mass, regardless of what the Pope has said.

He has added further that “if we want a Tridentine Mass, we will have to go to another parish or ask the Bishop to send another priest”. Our Bishop is actually diametrically opposed to the Tridentine Mass.

Can our PP refuse to celebrate a Tridentine Mass if the Laity request it?

I think HE can refuse to celebrate it, but if there is a stable group that wants it in your parish, provision has to be made, which would mean that the bishop and maybe the Ecclesia Dei commission would have to be involved.

Your PP might be obeying the letter of the law, since priests cannot be forced to celebrate Mass, but his tone shows that he is not listening sympathetically to what the Pope is saying.

However it is counterproductive to try to bully to get your own way. You might get the desired rite, but at a price too steep. Leave it at “the Parish Priest and the Pope do not see eye to eye on this matter”.

Sixtus - I think that he has the right to refuse, but if he said “regardless of what the pope says I’m not going to say the Tridentine Mass” or something to that effect he may be being “disobedient” in that he thinks he is. Which is truly :frowning:

Catholig

Malcolm Mc Lean posted:

Your PP might be obeying the letter of the law, since priests cannot be forced to celebrate Mass, but his tone shows that he is not listening sympathetically to what the Pope is saying.

It is interesting you raise ‘what the Pope is saying’.
Our PP is a very spiritual man. Very pro-ecumenism. He works 7-days a week doing pastoral work. In that he cannot be faulted. But he is very anti-Rome. He has little time for Right-wing Catholic groups including Opus Dei and Pro-eclessia. He appears to feel threatened by them.

He is not willing to discuss it. He feels ‘this part of the Church is not helpful to Catholics trying to understand their faith’.

[Edited by Moderator at poster’s request]

Could this be a clue do you think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.