Tridentine (or "traditional") cycle of reading and Divine Office

Over the past few days of reading the Novus Ordo daily readings and attending Latin mass here in Omaha, I’ve come to realize that the Old rite and the New rite have a different liturgical calendar of readings (and saint days).

I’ve studied up on it and understand the difference but I’m confused as to whether or not this effects the Liturgy of the Hours. Would the daily prayers for the liturgy of the hours be different for the Old or new rite?

Thanks in advance.

If by “daily prayer” you mean the Prayer at the end of each Office, in the Liturgy of the Hours, there’s usually a wider choice of options.

In the older Breviary, except for Prime and Compline, the final prayer is the Collect of the Mass of the Day (which might be the previous Sunday’s collect).

It does make a difference. The calendar is different on some days. the new calendar celebrated St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, but the old calendar has it later (maybe tomorrow, but I’m not sure.) The feast the new calendar has for Sept. 29th is for Michael, gabriel, and Raphael. The old one just had Michael. The other archangels have their own day on the old calendar. So the memorials and feasts aren’t always the same. This week St. Jerome fell on the same day on both calendars.
I say the current breviary prayers but sometimes go to a Tridentine Mass and the saint’s day is totally different… I just celebrate 2 that day in different ways…

Thanks, Wired. Is there also a seperate liturgy of the hours then for the old rite?

Is the old calendar available online?

Yes, there is a separate LOTH. The Traditional, non-monastic groups in communion with Rome mostly follow the 1961 Breviarium Romanum. This is a somewhat abbreviated form of what you can see at breviary.net (a caveat: it is run by people not in communion). The 1961 has easier and simpler rules, and some abbreviated texts and formats than the previous version (1954) used at that site.

Yes, but it’s not called the Liturgy of the Hours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.