Tried to ask a priest for confession

And you’re not following the rules of the church.

1. No. There is NO requirement for weekly confession. Only yearly.
  2. You CAN go to communion without going to confession so long as you are not in mortal sin. In fact, Communion wipes away venial sin.
  3. You are being incredibly judgemental and God DOES have a few not-so-nice things to say about that.
  4. The OP got himself into a confusing “who’s on first” situation. It happens. Human communication is flawed
  5. You should be reading the thread before contributing.
  6. The OP is under NO obligation from the Church to attend Confession again for a year, so long as he does not commit a mortal sin.

Actually, priests usually suggest that you go every month or two .
I go about every 20 days to make sure I can continue to try to earn plenary indulgences for the poor souls.
Very few people go every week, and unless you have committed a mortal sin, you don’t need to go every week.
If everyone went every week, the priests would be unable to handle the number of confessions in the allotted weekly time, which is usually only a half-hour or an hour per week.

Reported you for your frequent namecalling.

I would suggest that you learn the rules of the Church before proclaiming them to others.

The power of the Eucharist is a basic tenant of the Church.

Here is the CCC on it. This is fairly basic stuff.

1436 Eucharist and Penance. Daily conversion and penance find their source and nourishment in the Eucharist, for in it is made present the sacrifice of Christ which has reconciled us with God. Through the Eucharist those who live from the life of Christ are fed and strengthened. "It is a remedy to free us from our daily faults and to preserve us from mortal sins."35

1394 As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins.231

The CHURCH is the one that created the guideline for yearly reception of Confession. It is NOT a mockery in any way, shape or form to follow what the Church teaches. One is encouraged to do more, but again, making up requirements that are NOT a part of church teaching is completely wrong…perhaps even a sin.

I have seen our priests drop everything they were doing, and take aside an individual fro a private confession then and there. Our Pastor has made it clear that the Sacraments, especially Reconciliation, will be available to the faithful so that no-one goes wanting.

Thank You…why even here do some feel a need to be condescending, instead of compassionate and understanding? Use of absolutes and superlatives drive emotions high and all helpful feedback is lost in the technique of communication chosen.

Yes, and also, we are to “confess” to Jesus our sins every time we rise to partake of the Eucharist. We ask for forgiveness and if by chance we see a mortal sin on our souls at the time, we promise to go to Reconciliation quickly. So, the process of acknowledging our sins, being contrite and asking forgiveness does occur if one follows the process of receiving the Eucharist. Beyond that, Reconciliation is mandatory if we recognize that Mortal Sins have been committed. The rest of it all is personal preference.

I remember going weekly to confession when I attended St Hyacinth’s Catholic school in Bay City MI during the 60’s. It was listing the sins and asking for forgiveness as a task. Today, due to both my age and the Vatican II renewal of the spirit of Reconciliation, It is a much more meaningful visit, taken when needed.

Absolutely wrong.

Don Ruggero, could you please clarify something for me?

Posters often say that we should go to confession when in mortal sin, or once a year at least.

I have always understood that ‘once a year’ is when conscious of mortal sin, but others say that one should go once a year anyway. Leaving aside for a moment the likelihood or otherwise of going a year without committing mortal sin, what does the Church actually say?

Thank you for your time - it is so much appreciated.

It is very simple

Can. 989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least once a year.

If one is not conscious of grave sin, there is no requirement at all to confess, simply because a year has passed.

The Easter duty is simply of one of receiving the Eucharist.

Can. 920 §1 Once admitted to the blessed Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year.

§2 This precept must be fulfilled during paschal time, unless for a good reason it is fulfilled at another time during the year.

As a practical matter, those who only receive the Eucharist once per year – which is itself beyond tragic since the Second Vatican Council rightly decreed that one should receive each time one assists at Mass and from elements consecrated precisely at the Mass at which they assisted – would confess immediately before approaching the Eucharist to clear their conscience of serious sin they had committed since the previous annual Communion.

In fact, however, those who practice the barest minimum would fulfill the law by confessing their serious sins in, for example, Advent of each year and, presuming they had no serious sin, receiving their annual Communion on the first Sunday of Lent.

Please note: This would be legally correct but hardly to be lauded relative to how one should live the sacramental life.

Thank you so much, Don Ruggero.

You are very welcome.

Keyboard warriors… usually in need of a refesher on the Catechism!

I just go straight to God with my confession because there is only one God and one mediator between God and men the man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit