Trigger point Massage Therapy

Hi everyone,

Could anyone help my friend is going into a massage therapist who’s doing trigger point massage therapy and I wonder if any of you heard of anything in “esalen” or “yoga based stretches” that conflicts with Catholic spirituality?

In the website, he mentions that he combines several bodyworks such as myofascial, esalen, nurturing swedish, triggerpoint work, deep tissue, and yoga based stretches. Under esalen and yoga based stretches, he describes;

esalen: “Wavelike delicious long strokes without end. My style of Esalen is trance inducing, deep, sensual and a prominent part of my massage rift. My mentor, Glenn Wilson of Tucson was an accomplished Esalen practitioner”

yoga based stretches: “Flowing from my experience I employ and transfer various asanas (yoga routines)from the yoga to the table into your massage.”

I’d really appreciate your input / comment.

Hi! I am a massage therapist. a Trigger point is an area in the muscle fiber that is hyper- irritable. sometimes when a muscle relaxes, there is a fiber or portion of fiber that stays contracted. (Someone who is dehydrated may experience this as well as other situations)After staying in this condition for a while, that point on the muscle/or fiber, may begin to actually “trigger” pain or refer pain to another area. Trigger point therapy uses techniques to specifically release this contraction and hyper-irritability.The treatments are mechanical and physical and do not involve “new age” or “energy” work that the Us conference of Bishops warn against. Now, an individual therapist may incorporate something else that does for example Reiki. But I am very “western” in my approach to massage. Trigger point therapy alone doesn’t conflict.
As for the others you mention, I’m not familiar with.

As a Catholic, “trance inducing” causes me concern. As a professional I can also say I would never advertise anything as" trance inducing…delicious, …sensual" That just sounds creepy to me, but I am very conservative in life and even more so in my professional practice.

Thank you very much raaucoin for your input.
Actually the trigger point massage doesn’t bother me too much, but not for the other 2 techniques, especially the esalen. I tried to search for Glenn Wilson I couldn’t find much information.

I believe Az. regulates massage therapy. If so, have you checked with the state board? usually boards have a web site on which you can check if a therapist is licensed or registered. If your state has a regulatory board and he is not listed, I would strongly encourage my friend to find another therapist.

I would steer clear of a massage therapist who promises a deep sensual experience or an induced trance as neither are the goals of conventional massage therapy and the first could put him in trouble with the law if it goes much further

I receive trigger point therapy and massage as part of conventional pain management treatment assisted at times by ultrasound and it is conventional therapy, and many massage therapists are qualified to do it, but it has nothing to do with those other things he mentions.

I just checked, no listing for that name. could be licensed under another name, that would be unusual. Perhaps he’s been licensed since names posted. I’d find another therapist if I couldn’t get satisfactory answers from him and especially if he couldn’t produce an az. lic.

Thank you raaucoin and puzzleannie,

Thank you especially for taking the extra step of checking his license.
After I read your last comment, I checked the license and the therapist himself actually has a valid certificate. However, this esalen practitioner he mentioned, Glenn Wilson, seems like not appear anywhere…probably he’s not a massage therapist…I’m not sure what is esalen practitioner. But, my friend is also reconsidering going to his practice.
Thank you very much for your help.

Hi… I collected some information about trigger point massage. Trigger points, also known as trigger sites or muscle knots, are described as hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers.Trigger point practitioners believe that palpable nodules are small contraction knots and a common cause of pain. Compression of a trigger point may elicit local tenderness, referred pain, or local twitch response. The local twitch response is not the same as a muscle spasm. This is because a muscle spasm refers to the entire muscle contracting whereas the local twitch response also refers to the entire muscle but only involves a small twitch, no contraction.

Calgary back pain clinic
pain clinic calgary

If possible, could one of the members email or post a link to a website/video that shows how to do proper trigger point massage therapy. I have looked around on google and have not come up with a website that can describe in enough detail on how to do proper trigger point massage therapy. If there is not a video or website on the internet, would someone please tell me a book that explains this therapy. Thanks in advance.

physiotherapy calgary ne
knee injury clinic

Any type of massage is centered on the intent of both the client and practioner. Trigger point therapy in its pure intent, is to relieve or relieve muscle knots and areas of referred pain. These spots are described as areas in muscle that have adhesions (fibers sticking together) and prevent normal range of motion. . In essence, I would not worry about this type of work. As a Catholic practioner, I have much experience with this and use it to promote better health (especially with athletes).

As for The Swedish or Esalen, I go back to the intent. I have had many instances where women (I am a male Therapist, that Massages 90% women) get relaxed. There is not sexual agenda. If such a mood arises, 1% of the time, professionalism and Hail Mary’s work wonders. I don’t believe that any Therapist (99.9%) that is licensed, want anything but a professional experience with a rebooking.

As with any type of yoga or stretch based routine, I use stretching in most of my routines. I do not find anything sexual about it.

As A Male instructor of Massage Therapy, I tell my students that if an occasion arises, go to a different part of the body (not to make an issue of it). Experience says to remain professional. People do get aroused, sometimes they do not even know its happening. The trick is not to act on it and to stop when you discover its happening.

I go to confession regularly and talk to my Parish Preists to keep me straight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.