Trinity in the OT?

After a long time of seeing my bible collect dust with me only reading a random verse every now and then I finally picked up my “New American Bible” and am reading it from pg1 and hopefully to the end. (Perhaps not much of revelations but we’ll see)

Well I’m reading Genesis and am on Genesis 3:22

Then the Lord God said: "See the man has become like one of us, knowing what is good and what is bad! Therefore, he must not be allowed to take fruit from the tree of life also, and thus eat it and live forever

Now I believe in the Holy Trinity but is this really how the it is in the Torah or has the translation to a Christian Bible change it to Us?

Read the story of Abraham and his “three visitors.” The three visitors whom Abraham entreated to stay with him were, in fact, the Blessed Trinity. The Holy Spirit is mentioned (although not by name) in the book of Wisdom. “One like a Son of Man” is a direct reference to Jesus, while the Ancient One referes to God the Father. This last reference comes from the Book of Daniel.

There are also many references to Jesus in Isaiah, especially in the Four Oracles of the Suffering Servant. Mary is also referenced in Isaiah, as well.

The translation seems to be correct. However, Jews would probably interpret “like one of us” as being said by the LORD to the angels, who, being rational creatures, also have the knowledge of good and evil.

This is from my Torah Commentary"The extraordinary use of the first person plural evokes a heavenly court in which God is surrounded by His angelic host.Such a celestial scene is depicted in several biblical passages.This is the Israelite version of the polytheistic assemblies of the pantheon-monotheized and depaganized." From my Jewish Study Bible “God the King announces to His Cabinet of subordinate deities, though He alone retains the power of decision” see also 1kings 22:19-22; Isaiah chapter 6;jobchapter1-2.Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

I have a problem with this passage. It seems as though two of the three visitors were angels.

The very next chapter, Genesis 19:1 says, “The two angels came to Sodom…”. The word “the” is probably implying that the author is talking of two of the three visitors.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 22. Behold Adam, &c. This was spoken by way of reproaching him with his pride, in affecting a knowledge that might make him like to God. (Challoner) — “These are the words of God, not insulting over man, but deterring others from an imitation of his pride.” (St. Augustine, de Gen. xi. 39.) — For ever. The sentence is left imperfect: (Calmet) but by driving man from Paradise, God sufficiently shewed how he would prevent from eating of the tree of life, (Haydock) which Adam had not yet found. As he was now condemned to be miserable on earth, God, in mercy, prevented him from tasting of that fruit, which would have rendered his misery perpetual. (Menochius) — He would suffer him to die, that, by death, he might come, after a life of 930 years, spent in sorrow and repentance, to the enjoyment of himself. (Haydock) — Lest perhaps. God does not exercise his absolute power, or destroy free-will, but makes use of ordinary means and precautions, to effect his designs. (St. Augustine) (Worthington)

I’m grateful for the replies as now I have a understanding of this passage from a Jewish perspective.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.