Trinity questions

Hello everyone! Can I ask for some help?

What answers can we give for the following questions:

It seems quite confusing as if jesus and god are the same… then why is there a father…?

How does the son = the father?

How can they have two distinct characteristics yet be the same?

Why would Jesus cry out to himself on the cross, if he was the father?

And what is so good about good friday, when it was jesus’s worst ever friday?

the trinity seems to collapse to two branches if jesus was the father…?

Many thanks and peace be with you all!

Mark

[quote=FightingFat]Hello everyone! Can I ask for some help?

What answers can we give for the following questions:

It seems quite confusing as if jesus and god are the same… then why is there a father…?

How does the son = the father?

How can they have two distinct characteristics yet be the same?

Why would Jesus cry out to himself on the cross, if he was the father?

And what is so good about good friday, when it was jesus’s worst ever friday?

the trinity seems to collapse to two branches if jesus was the father…?

Many thanks and peace be with you all!

Mark
[/quote]

The trinity is one God three Persons. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirity. Jesus and the Father are two different Persons within the one being of God. The third is the holy trinity. Jesus was fully God and fully human. Good Friday is called that because through Christ’s death we have been given the chance of salvation. We couldn’t have done it without Christ. This is how the trinity has been described to me. God the Father exists, he is so good that his very being generates a second person of the trinity which is the Son. THe love between the Father and the Son generates the third person of the trinity, the Holy Spirit. Hoped this help.

matt

“Why would Jesus cry out to himself on the cross, if he was the father?”

You must be referring to Jesus saying from the cross, “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” He wasn’t crying out to God the way you or I would in that situation; he was quoting Psalm 22, to show that the scripture was being fulfilled. Check it out.

[quote=marty1818]The trinity is one God three Persons. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirity. Jesus and the Father are two different Persons within the one being of God. The third is the holy trinity. Jesus was fully God and fully human. Good Friday is called that because through Christ’s death we have been given the chance of salvation. We couldn’t have done it without Christ. This is how the trinity has been described to me. God the Father exists, He is so good that His very being generates a second person of the trinity which is the Son. THe love between the Father and the Son generates the third person of the trinity, the Holy Spirit. Hoped this help.

matt
[/quote]

Hi:

You might find the following links helpful:

catholicxjw.com/Wordwasgod.html

catholicxjw.com/Trinity1.html

catholicxjw.com/JesusYahweh.html

catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/hiding.html

Jeff Schwehm
Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses
www.catholicxjw.com

Another important thing to remember is that “Son” and “Father” are not literal terms, but statements of internal and external relationship. “Father” can be read as “God as Creator and Lord”, “Son” is “God as Servant and Teacher”, and “Holy Spirit” is “God as Breath of Life and Inspiration”. The “Son” is not a son in the sense we think of the term, as the Son of God IS God, albeit acting and existing in the person of a humble servant. It is called Son because of the inherent relationship it has with the “Father”, who is Father of all things. Since God is the “Creator and Lord of all things” in principle, God is also Father to the Son.

It gets confusing because of the linguistic nuances of Aramaic and Hebrew, where such terms are common place. Think of the Son of Perdition mentioned in 2 Thess, as that’s closer to the understanding of Son in the context of God.

I was at RCIA the other night and we were talking about the Trinity and all to be one God. Of course we cannot totally comprehend it on this side of paradise but the RCIA person told us that she found something in a book that kinda helps (math):

she said that 1x1x1=1!

I guess it’s kinda like that she told us.

Theology and Sanity, by Frank Sheed, has a very good, albeit pretty long and deep, discussion of the topic.

I have been reading a good book about the first 7 ecumenical councils and wanted to add that for literally HUNDREDS of years the nature of God the Father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ were debated, argued about, fought over and generally thought about. This is **not **an easy question and not one that just pops out of Scripture.

I have heard many a non-Catholic tell me that the Trinity is all over the bible…it may be, but only with the proper interpretation. Funny how it took so long for the dissenting theologians to come to such an obvious conclusion.

I, like John_Henry, also recommend Frank Sheed’s writings. The Son (Logos/Word) is eternally begotten/spoken by the Father and the eternal Love they share IS the Spirit. Remember no Word is spoken without a Breath (spiros/Spirit).

Peace

[quote=jpusateri]I have been reading a good book about the first 7 ecumenical councils and wanted to add that for literally HUNDREDS of years the nature of God the Father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ were debated, argued about, fought over and generally thought about. This is **not **an easy question and not one that just pops out of Scripture.

I have heard many a non-Catholic tell me that the Trinity is all over the bible…it may be, but only with the proper interpretation. Funny how it took so long for the dissenting theologians to come to such an obvious conclusion.

I, like John_Henry, also recommend Frank Sheed’s writings. The Son (Logos/Word) is eternally begotten/spoken by the Father and the eternal Love they share IS the Spirit. Remember no Word is spoken without a Breath (spiros/Spirit).

Peace
[/quote]

What book are you reading?

[quote=John_Henry]Theology and Sanity, by Frank Sheed, has a very good, albeit pretty long and deep, discussion of the topic.
[/quote]

Wow - I must look it up. I bought the book today in a 2nd hand shop - reduced down to ten pence. :slight_smile: Just showing off about my bargain finding skills now!

:o Um, sorry…

The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787) Their History and Theology by Leo Donald Davis.

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0814656161/

Sounds like a snoozer but it is not. The names come fast and furious and I never realized how many people were named “Eusebius” :confused:

“Yeah. Remember, like a few years ago? Every other boy was named Jason, and the girls were all named Brittany?” - Pain in Disney’s Hercules :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.