Trinity Sunday: disappointed

Disappointed in the homily today, given by our deacon.

It was all about suffering, which is a good topic.
But not a word about the Trinity. Nada.

A person who practiced inner silence is able to hear God’s voice in even the most ill prepared and boring homily.

I sometimes pray quietly before Mass that God speak to me through the words of the homily, that he use the man at the ambo to teach me what it is He wishes me to know today so that I can spend eternity with Him. We have to have the proper expectation. Maybe God wanted the people present to hear about suffering and tend to think that if the deacon preached on suffering that such was God’s will.

Today if you hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (Psalm 95:6-7)

Docility to the word of God, no matter how it comes to us, is something the monastics teach.

-Tim-

maybe there was a situation unbeknownest to you that this deacon was aware of and decided to address in his homily. There is nothing any of us can do here, we didn’t hear the homily. The best thing to do in situations like this is speak your concern to the deacon and ask why maybe he spoke about suffering instead of about the trinity? If you ask this in a polite non-attacking mannor, maybe you will get an answer that will give you insight.

There is a lot of suffering going on in the hearts of the Catholic clergy and faithful, especially this week after the tragedy that occurred in Phoenix, AZ on Wednesday night.

Remember, too, a full third of the Holy Trinity’s purpose was suffering in response to and for the sins we have committed against the the Father.

Yeah. We had an all Father’s Day homily. Still, I picked the music and it was aaaaaalllll Trinity, start to finish.

At our EF Mass, our priest had a kind of combined Trinity Sunday/Father’s Day homily. While he certainly acknowledged the feast and had some thoughts on the Trinity, he took the opportunity of Father’s Day to reflect on the first person of the Trinity, God the Father. He did a nice job.

I just finished Evening Prayer in the LoTH, and I was very moved by the antiphon for the Magnificat for this Solemn Feast.

With our whole heart and voice we acclaim you, O God; we offer you our praise and worship, unbegotten Father, only-begotten Son, Holy Spirit, constant friend and guide; most holy and undivided Trinity, to you be glory for ever.

Perhaps God did not speak to you through the homily, but He was present to us in many ways throughout this holy day, had we but eyes to see and ears to hear. :).

The FSSP Mass I just returned from was pretty much the same thing.

Some other observations: The beautiful Preface of the Holy Trinity and Asperges Me began today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.