Trinity

I am reading “Life of Christ” by Fulton Sheen, and I ran across yet another way to prove the Trinity. In John chapter 8, the Scribes and Pharisees brought an adulteress before Jesus, and asked Him for His judgement of her. Sheen talks about how this was an effort to trip Him up, because if He didn’t judge her then He would be going against the Sacred Law of Moses, which would be denying His Divinity. According to the Law of Moses, an adulteress was to be stoned. They were there waiting with stones in hand. But, if He did judge her, then He could no longer claim to be a “Friend of sinners”, to save what has been lost.

Jesus responded by bending down to write with his finger on the ground, not once, but twice, in response to the Pharisees. As Sheen puts it:
"They had invoked the Law of Moses. So would He! Whence did the Law of Moses come? Who wrote it? Whose finger? The Book of Exodus answers:

Moses turned and went down to the mountain with the two tablets of the Tokens in his hands, inscribed on both sides; on the front and on the back they were inscribed. The tablets were the handiwork of God, and the writing was God’s writing, engraved on the tablets.
Exodus 32:15-17

They reminded Him of the Law! He in turn reminded them that He had written the Law! The same finger, in a symbolical sense, that was now writing in the tablets of stone of the temple floor, also wrote on the tablets of stone on Sanai!"

I’m not sure how anyone would argue that, though I’m sure they’d look for something. But, really? What else could it mean that He wrote with His finger, in response to this question about the Law of Moses? He was telling them that He had written the Law, and that He was there to bring a higher law!

While I really like this excerpt, I don’t think you should tie it into trying to “prove” the Trinity.

Perhaps the wouldbe executioners each saw Jesus write down their own personal sins, in a way similar to what happened on the day of Pentecost when the Apostles spoke and each hearer heard them speaking in their own language. This seems possible since Jesus says to them, Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Very true Misty! I had never thought about it that way before. Why else would He at that moment just start writing in the sand?

It’s interesting because I was just talking to someone today about how Jesus never said that He would leave us a bible, but instead He left us instructions on how to build His Church and how to carry out His commandments (the Church’s Sacraments) because He knew if He lined out instructions for the Church, that the Church would be in charge of infallibly (through the intercession of the Holy Spirit of course) deciding the canon of the Scriptures and would be responsible (through the Holy Spirit) for teaching His instructions correctly, and how the only time we hear about Him writing in the scriptures was this time when He wrote in the sand. It was His hand that guided the hands of those who wrote the bible. It all makes sense to me, but I am sure someone will come along and try to refute it. But again, thank you for sharing that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.