Trooper ambush suspect charged with terrorism

wral.com/trooper-ambush-suspect-charged-with-terrorism/14178288/

State police charged Frein on Thursday with two counts of terrorism. He already faced first-degree murder and other counts in the Sept. 12 ambush, which killed Dickson, seriously wounded another trooper and sparked a 48-day manhunt in the Pocono Mountains.

Why is this terrorism when they guy is not part of a terrorist organization and did not target ununiformed civilians, but the guy at Ft Hood killed a great many more as he screamed ‘Allah Akhbar!’ ???

The Feds erred n calling the Fort Hood shooter workplace violence.

In New York state, that guy who tried to go on a rampage with an axe a few weeks ago was called a Terrorist attack by the NY authorities.

Is there a different news source for this news item? The link posted is taking too long for me to load.

Here you go. cnn.com/2014/11/13/justice/pennsylvania-eric-frein-charges/index.html

Not sure I really see terrorism in what the article states.

I can’t answer as to why the Ft. Hood killer is a matter of workplace violence and not terrorism. If the Ft. Hood killer (name?) had shouted “God bless America!” would people have questioned his motivation?

Eric Frein might be reasonably considered as someone who advocated and acted violently on anti-government sentiments, and may have convinced others to act for the “cause.”

They’re both bad situations, and I’m upset that there will be people who will say, “I don’t agree with what he did, but I understand why he did it,” in both cases.

:shrug:

I found this on the FBI website:

“Domestic terrorism” means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

Those are pretty broad criteria which seem to be able to apply to just about any crime of violence or intimidation where government law enforcement is involved. Because Frein wrote that he “hoped” people would rise up (in his own mind) does not mean there was a reasonable inclination which would meet the threshold in the statute.

The way this statute is written, a parent shoving a school board member could be classified as a terroristic act. (Not that shoving a school board member is acceptable of course, just that it could fall within the boundaries of this statute).

But no reasonable person would consider shoving a terroristic act. It’s true that many laws are written with wide latitude, but that’s so that We The People have a breadth of leeway in making case-by-case determinations. For example, what if the shoving were done by a person who had strong but unproven ties to a terror group, or to organized crime?

If Frein’s charges are inappropriate, the courts will make that determination.

The Fort Hood Shooter apparently had contact, emailed Anwar Al-Awhlaki, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki who was a heavy weight in Al Qaeda, at the least, Nidal Hasan was certainly influenced by Islamic Radicals. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidal_Malik_Hasan

In fact, a lot of people would reason, the Fort Hood shooting was terrorism.

Thanks. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

None of the charges that were placed on him are actually called “terrorism” though. The charges are related to what is commonly known as terrorism but he wasn’t actually charged with a crime called “terrorism”. What exactly were the charges placed on the Fort Hood shooter?

The charges against him (Ft. Hood shooter) don’t really matter given his comments about why he did what he did. It’s clear from his comments that his actions were terroristic/treason.

According to Wikipedia, the Pentagon says that charging a soldier with terrorism is not possible in the military justice system.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.