Trouble choosing careers/vocations

It can be very difficult to know what career/vocation would be best for me or what I'm being called for. Sometimes I feel like I'm called for certain things but then it seems not to be the case.

I want my service to others to be spiritual. And I want that spirituality to be Catholic Christianity. I don't think I need a career or vocation for that but it would be nice if I knew what my options are for actual vocations.

Part of the trouble is that I don't know how comfortable I would be doing non-spiritual work. Or where the work isn't part of the Catholic Church. I think I wouldn't do so well with that.

So what are all of my options for spiritual work and in the Catholic Church?

[quote="TreeOfLife123, post:1, topic:287194"]
It can be very difficult to know what career/vocation would be best for me or what I'm being called for. Sometimes I feel like I'm called for certain things but then it seems not to be the case.

I want my service to others to be spiritual. And I want that spirituality to be Catholic Christianity. I don't think I need a career or vocation for that but it would be nice if I knew what my options are for actual vocations.

Part of the trouble is that I don't know how comfortable I would be doing non-spiritual work. Or where the work isn't part of the Catholic Church. I think I wouldn't do so well with that.

So what are all of my options for spiritual work and in the Catholic Church?

[/quote]

Depends. Are you a man or woman? That'll have a bearing, since men can't be nuns and women can't be priests. There's always social work or apologetics, which are equal opportunity. Above all pray about it.

What are your specific interests as far as education, training and work? God will use them.

I believe that ALL work is spiritual work. My husband is a law enforcement officer. He has great influence over those with whom he works and people respect and learn from him. I worked at a secular agency as a psychotherapist and had many, many opportunities to show God’s love for others. I worked with the “least of these”, giving them psychotherapeutic services they could have never have afforded otherwise. I had quite a few Christian clients and was able to integrate spirituality into therapy as often as the client desired.

I’m not saying that you should not have a ministry-type vocation, but I used to think I had to be ‘in ministry’ in order to be doing work for the Lord. I have learned otherwise and have been happy to serve my God in whatever setting He places me. I empathize with your position though; I know I am called to be a therapist, but I’m at a point that I don’t know where to work, whether to seek employment somewhere, go into private practice, write the book I’ve considered writing…so please pray for me too. I don’t know what to be when I grow up!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.