Trouble Discerning a Vocation

Like many other young girls, I have always wanted to get married and have a husband. I have always wanted kids, but ever since I was seven or eight I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be a mother. I looked at my older sister and knew that she just “had” the mother aspects in her. While I might as well, I knew that I didn’t completely fit the mother profile. I have very little patience, and sometimes I let my sharp tongue and anger get the better of me.
When I was fourteen, I was confirmed in the Catholic faith and I received the Holy Spirit inside me. I had an extreme increase in faith. I used to go to Church once a week, and other than that, not think about God or Mary at all. Now, it is the center of my life. With this faith came a curiosity to pursue a religious vocation. The idea entered my mind and it been stuck in the back since then (I am now fifteen.) My parents are supportive, and I talked to my parish priest about it and he is praying for me and open to talking about it. I think that fact that the idea has entered my head, and has left means something…but I’m not sure what means.
Also, one night when I was reading the Bible, I put it down and looked out my window. I asked God to help me. I was confused on what he was calling me to do. I then opened my Bible and my eyes landed on Isaiah 54:4-8. It reads, “"Do not be afraid; for you will not be ashamed; do not be discouraged, for you will not suffer disgrace; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the disgrace of your widowhood you will remember no more. For you Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name, the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. For the Lord has called you like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a wife of a man's youth when she is cast off, says your God. For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing wrath a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you, says the Lord, your Redeemer." I was slightly freaked out that I had asked God what to do concerning pursuing a religious vocation and it said “For your Maker is your husband”, and “the Lord has called you…”.
I find so much peace with praying, and I greatly enjoy talking and involving myself in great depth with the Catholic religion. I know no matter what I want to devote my life to God. My mission is life is to save souls. I just don't know if the best way to do that is through a religious or vocation or a married vocation. I am largely family oriented and I don't know if I'd be happy without a family of my own (then again, a religious community is like a family.)...any help discerning this would be greatly appreciated!

I. Get yourself a Spiritual Director, a priest will direct you, and discern whether you have a vocation.

1. Look up a few Convents that appeal to you,,, Active or Active-Contemplative/or Contemplative.
  2. Do a live in, a long week end with a few Congregations, while there, pray a lot asking the Lord to direct you whether its Religious Life or Marriage, HE will tell you.

3. By doing some live in's with a few Congregations will give you an idea if its Religious Life your being called for, put it like this

A. If you cannot get up at 5.00 in the morning to pray, don't want to live in a Congregation of women dedicating your Life to Lord, and think oh no back to the Church to pray after 2/3 times in the day this might give you an idea that consecrated life is not for you. Plus the person looking after you while in the Convent could be the Novice Mistress/Vocations Director and you could ask her opinion they are very clued in and they would see the signs or not if you have a religious vocation to there Order and might give you an opinion whether you have one or not.

Pray to the Lord in front of the Blessed Sacrament to point you in the right direction.

A live in experience and a spiritual director will help alot. Remember to go before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament telling Him your problems, and letting Him take charge. Remember temptations will arise. Take it to God in fasting and pprayers, and He whom will neither deceive nor be deceived will see you through

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.