Trouble for HS Musical Vanessa Hudgens

AP News came out with this news blot this afternoon about Vanessa Hudgens (Gabriella) about a nude photo she took of herself and was intercepted on the web.

AOL is circulating the news as well in this article.

My heart sank when I saw it, sad for this girl and her boyfriend, Zac Efron (also of HSM). While it was naive of her to a) try to send a photo to him via the internet and b) truly sad that she even thought of taking a nude photo in order to give to him I guess I’m not surprised.

In a way, it’s a good thing they’re both under Disney contracts. Disney is a powerful force and they have the resources to do whatever it takes to seize this image wherever it pops up to protect Disney’s reputation.

I’m disappointed in Vanessa, embarrassed for Zac, and hope this doesn’t mar their future in the business.

However, I must admit, the thought did cross my mind that she may be relieved to have this floating about her. Reminds me of Julie Andrews’ frustration of not being able to get ‘real women’ roles after her start. Maybe Vanessa thinks this will help her ‘goody 2 shoes, innocent’ image from taking hold beyond her Disney contract. I do wonder if this will make her even more popular/marketable (branching out from the teen mold).

I don’t know anything about her faith (if she professes any) but she needs our prayers right now, in hopes that she’ll learn something from all this (something morally correct).

This photo is easily found doing a quick search on Google. Not even Disney has the resources to censor the internet.

I guess we can only hope they’ll legally go after the people who upload them and the sites who don’t pull them.

I’ve heard tech people say that even if an organization successfully blocks future use of videos/music/images the real damage comes from all the people downloading the files before the legal stuff kicks in so that these images and such resurface after a time.

I found it really interesting how So You Think You Can Dance videos were available on YouTube after last season, up until the new season kicked in. For the entire current season any links to the videos would come up “…is no longer available…”. Then, once the season ended, many of those videos were available again, as well as current clips. So there’s a smart use on Fox’s part to capitalize on popular internet sites to boost ratings for their shows. Because we couldn’t find the clips on the net the day or two after like we used to, we programmed the tivos and vcrs to record them ourselves or made sure we were home to tune in live.

Anyway, if Fox could negotiate a way to work with YouTube maybe Disney can too.

Trying to remove something from the net is like trying to remove urine from a pool. It just isn’t possible. At least she looks good in the photo.

Not sure if it’s true, but I heard that Disney fired her yesterday as a result of the photos. I can only surmise that Disney had them sign some sort of “Lewdness and Lasciviousness Avoidance” contract or something.

I’m a red-blooded heterosexual male, so I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think she looked attractive, but my problem is that this girl was all of, what, eighteen years old?

I just pray that by the time *my *daughter reaches her age of sexual awakening, my wife and I will have given her a solid foundation of morality so that she will choose to eschew such things. [FONT=Times New Roman]<")))><
[/FONT]

It’s sad–she’s a Filipino-American, and she’s gaining quite a popularity here in the Philippines, and then this happens…

Just watch as her popularity skyrockets…you know what they say after all, any publicity is good publicity

funny thing is yesterday she was google searched #1 item yesterday while bin laden was #2, no doubt the super secret al-qaeda conference members meeting in the super secret al-qaeda cave shook their fists and said “damn you, Vanessa Hudgens! our plans for first place searched internet phrase foiled once again!” :slight_smile:

Many of us did stupid things in our youth that, had the technology been available, would be haunting us even today. Christ paid the price for that.

Everyone should give the kid a break and go help someone in need.

Unfortunately, I’m not surprised at all. I was just hoping that the HSM crowd could keep their clothes on and morals in check for a little while. It also would not shock me to find that the whole situation was planned by her PR people or something. It’s sad that young artists today don’t want to be “pigeon holed” into “goody2shoes” roles or reputations.

Sigh. When are young people going to realize that actions have consequences, and that nowadays, celebrities have no privacy?

Honey - keep your clothes on.

Yeah, the picture is easily seen by searching on Google. I definitely did stupid things when I was young too. It just goes to show that celebrities are still human first and foremost. I say give her a break. Hopefully she learned from it.

And Disney didn’t fire her, here’s what they said"

“Vanessa has apologized for what was obviously a lapse in judgment. We hope she’s learned a valuable lesson.”

And here’s what she has said:

“I want to apologize to my fans, whose support and trust means the world to me. I am embarrassed over this situation and regret having ever taken these photos. I am thankful for the support of my family and friends.”

After having read and watched interviews of Zac Efron, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the one who “leaked” the photo. He seems to want to get out of HSM legacy and a way to do that would be through this (if it were found out that he did it, who knows, Disney could pull his contract). On CNN’s weekend showbiz show he was interviewed and asked a question about what he thinks about the Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, etc. actions, his response was something along the lines of he doesn’t understand why people are upset and that everyone should just let them live their lives (whereas other stars from HSM when asked the same question said they stay in and don’t like the party scene, they have pride in themselves, etc.). The commentator that was on CNN stated how naive Efron was in his opinion and the CNN personality agreed (which I was shocked about considering it was CNN). I guess that’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaked the photo. There have also been rumors that he’s wanted to break up with Vanessa (a possible reason why she took the photos too get his attention to keep him from breaking up with her)? Who knows, I could be wrong too (it wouldn’t be the first time).

I think this is a pretty big disappointment for parents and teens. I can’t imagine how hard it is to raise children with good sexual morality in today’s culture. I’m sure Vanessa is a role model to many girls, and now parents must explain this. It seemed like HS Musical would be a wholesome force in popular culture. Hopefully it still can be.

Unfortunatel this stuff happens a lot in the entertainment industry. As someone who has worked in that industry for 6 years, I know a little but about it. These are on a high and they have accomplished so much. Acting is tough (believe it or not). So yeah, I’m not personally surprised by this and it is saddening.

Vanessa is also a Catholic and is or was a devout one. I guess one thing that the entertainment industry is missing are people to spiritually minister to these actors, technicians, and others involved. No one is there to give them a real positive voice or call them out on anything. This entertainment industry can be a really awesome tool for evangelism. We just need good people to go in there are attempt to convert the minds and heats of people on Hollywood, Broadway, Nashville, etc.

That is my two sense on the issue.

Nate

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.