Trouble praying the "thy will be done" part of Our Father prayer

I’m having trouble praying this part and just sort of skip over it and I’m having issues trusting God or wanting to accept His will all together.
Does God swill for you ever men something that could make you miserable?
I’m scared if I accept Gods will his will for me will be something that I don’t want.

From Biblehub:

biblehub.com/jeremiah/29-11.htm

Jeremiah Chapter 29:11:

New International Version:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

This is one of my favorite verses from the Old Testament, from the Book of the Prophet Jeremiah.

Right here, God tells us of His plans for us.

God only wants what is good for us. He doesn’t want us to be “miserable.”

Jesus himself gave us the “Lord’s Prayer” to pray, in accordance with God’s Will. It is how we should pray.

When I pray, it’s how I pray–for how God to Will things for me in my own life. It’s because God knows better than I do, what I need in my life. He knows the greater good.

Yes, that can be a tough verse to say at times. I know there were times in my life where I was scared to death of what God’s plans were for me, but I realized something. Would I rather walk this earth alone without God and have to endure His plans for me or would I rather have Him at my side supporting me?

We can’t change God’s plans for us, but we can make the choice to love Him and to keep Him close to us. When He is close to me, I know no matter what comes up in life, it will always be better having Him with me than not.

Peace,

John

We can also refuse Him. Terrifying thought. Taking your hand out of the Hand of God

The WILL of [size=]GOD
[size=]will never take you
Where the GRACE of [size=]GOD
[size=]will not protect you.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Amen.
Just because you don’t see His plan doesn’t mean there isn’t one.
Plus, most of what makes us miserable is the doing/actions of people, not God.

Don’t ever skip that part.

God’s Will is sometimes what we don’t want, but its always what is best for us.

We were creates to follow God’s Will, and that is what holiness is. The fall was basically linked to self will.

We need to trust God that His Will is best for us. The first temptation of Eve was to doubt this.

Indeed, this is one of the most challenging things in the spiritual life! We naturally want to be “in control” and cling to our own will, which is often at odds with God’s will.
The whole spiritual struggle consists, in a large part, of precisely this.

Pray “Thy will be done” and God will begin to help you make progress; just perservere.

[quote=drforjc;14114336**]Indeed, this is one of the most challenging things in the spiritual life! We naturally want to be “in control” and cling to our own will, which is often at odds with God’s will.
The whole spiritual struggle consists, in a large part, of precisely this.
[/quote]

Pray “Thy will be done” and God will begin to help you make progress; just perservere.

I had that knocked out of me years ago. Now I add to any petitions. “Show me,from outside myself what You want me to do so I cannot make a mess of it.” Wonderful thing is that He does. Dramatically often and not always in the way I would have chosen…

I think that is very true.

A book that’s really helped me is “Abandonment to Divine Providence”

I will be blunt.

I don’t give a bloody damm about God’s will. I never have and I never will. I care about my own will and nothing else. As for God not wanting us to be miserable, I do not believe that for one minute.

I have fought depression all my life. I have seen countless doctors, psychologists, taken more medications than I can remember, prayer for years and it has made no difference. Sometimes I think God has singled me out and is deliberately causing me to suffer just for His sheer sadistic joy.

If my life is “God’s will” and what He wants for me, He can keep it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.