Trouble


#1

I finally told both of my parents a week ago that I want to be a priest. I took the big step. One of the major reasons for letting them know, is that there is a vocation discernment event at the diocese for me to go to. I was all signed up. Now the roads get kind of bad, and they will not let me go. I cannot help but thing, judging from their reaction the other night, that they are purposely trying to prevent me from attending. I am so disappointed.


#2

Ah! How disappointing! Gosh! Looks like you might need to get rides from here on out or some other means of transportation, then, since you can’t count on them. Can you find some other arrangements? I don’t suppose anybody can take you, can they? That’s the thing about the US. There’s the lack of public transportation! A car is so essential!

Here, I can get almost anywhere by bus and cheaply!

Oh, good luck, and I’m sorry it’s been so terribly hard!

I’ll say a prayer for you!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

:angel1:


#3

I don’t know your area specifically, but from what I’m hearing about the weather conditions in many places, they may well be right. It’s disappointing, but they can’t do any more about the road conditions than you can.


#4

Well, if it’s a weather thing, it’s one thing. If it’s sabotage, it’s another. You will need to determine which it is at some point, and maybe have prearranged a backup plan in case this turns out to be sabotage. In case they decide, again, not to take you, try to have a “fall back plan”, a “Plan B”, for that possibility.

So, the Plan B would be that someone from the parish would take you if your parents can’t/won’t, if this ever happens again, not related to weather, say.


#5

Sorry to hear this. Have you thought of asking your Parish Priest about getting some transportation out there? Is there a parishioner you family would be willing to let you go with?

Don’t let this discourage you. Often when you are headed in the direction God wants you to go there will be sudden opposition and efforts by others, even family, to stop you. If you can’t go make that day a day of prayer at home. Pray for the others that are there and for their ability to discern God’s will. Don’t let your own disappointment cloud what you might hear from God.

I worried too much about what my family would think if I became a Religious. This worry did not let me see things clearly, or to trust God as I should. I have remained single, but many times I now am left wondering if I made a serious mistake in not asking to join a Religious Community I was very interested in.

Take time to review when you first felt called to be a Priest, and ask yourself why that feeling occurred, what was going on and how often has it returned to you. Don’t give up your discernment process.


#6

Praying for you. Keep the Faith. If this is your calling, nothing will prevent you. God bless.


#7

Maybe it will get postponed and rescheduled again due to the bad weather. Dont fret, in my diocese they have “priest discernment” events multiple times throughout the year. Contact your VD for the dates of future events! Oh, and ask if they can provide transporation or carpools.


#8

This will be only one of the MANY, MANY, challenges you will face on your way to the priesthood.

That being said, do not read too much into every comment or decision your parents make. They are NOT your enemy, they are your parents.

The weather channel is reporting threatening cold in Michigan as well as snow. Perhaps your parents **do actually care **about your well-being.

Until you are of age, have your own car, and move out of the house you will be living with their rules


#9

I’ve been looking at the satellite and radar maps of the US, and I can see Michigan is getting hit with ongoing snow since late last night. I think your parents are taking care of you.


#10

Here’s part of a severe weather alert I just read for Michigan.
Not sure where you are in Michigan, but if this applies to you,
in that case I can see where your parents are coming from:

"Hazardous weather…

  • snow will continue this afternoon and this evening. It will
    increase in intensity with the heaviest snow expected between 2
    and 8 PM. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches are
    expected by 1 am Monday. Periods of snow are expected to
    continue into Monday.

  • Wind gusts of 25 to 35 mph tonight and Monday will create
    blowing and drifting snow. Some areas could see near blizzard
    conditions.

  • Extreme wind chill readings will drop to between 25 and 40 below
    zero on Monday and continue into Tuesday.

Impacts…

  • roads will be snow covered and slippery with impacts lingering
    into the Monday morning commute.

  • Northwest winds will increase this early this evening resulting
    poor visibility in blowing and drifting snow. Brisk west winds
    will continue on Monday.

  • It will be unsafe to be outdoors Monday and Tuesday for
    prolonged periods of time due to the extreme cold conditions."

Now I hope you will continue on your road to becoming a priest,
according to God’s Will for you,
and I will pray for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

READING Isaiah 52:7-10

How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of him who brings glad tidings,
Announcing peace, bearing good news,
announcing salvation, and saying to Zion,
“Your God is king!”
Hark! Your watchmen raise a cry,
together they shout for joy,
For they see directly, before their eyes,
the Lord restoring Zion.
Break out together in song,
O ruins of Jerusalem!
For the Lord comforts his people,
he redeems Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
in the sight of all the nations;
All the ends of the earth will behold
the salvation of our God.

Amen


#11

I believe that everyone went to work as usual. I’m in the New England area, the roads are pretty bad but I am at work every day. There is a sheath of ice outside right now and I’m at work.


#12

But the OP is in Michigan. Driving conditions there may well be worse.


#13

This event should have been cancelled. There is no reason for anyone to risk an accident or possible road closure to get there. It should be rescheduled for another day.


#14

The weather is not nice, but they wouldn’t even let my priest who is going take make.


#15

Then I suggest you offer your inability to attend this event as an act of obedience to your parents. Remember, as a priest obedience will be asked of you often. This could be a way to strengthen your resolve in your quest to discern your vocation in life. Prayer will help.


closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.