Troubled by comment from a Nazarene

Hi all. A colleague of mine who is a Nazarene recently said the following (to a group of people during lunch hour)

“For the record, people of OTHER denominations don’t agree with Catholics - that child abusing priests should be transferred around, from place to place!”

Folks, her comment stunned me. It sounds to me like she thinks that the Catholic Church has a law or something to that effect.

What should I have said in response? I welcome your thoughts and comments. Thanks very much! ( Hope this is the right forum )

“ahem! Don’t agree with which Catholics?”

The ineptitude of a very small number of Bishops 40 years ago does not constitute Catholic policy.

Most Catholic Dioceses have never had any of the problems that have bankrupted my own Diocese.

[quote=gettochurch]Hi all. A colleague of mine who is a Nazarene recently said the following (to a group of people during lunch hour)

“For the record, people of OTHER denominations don’t agree with Catholics - that child abusing priests should be transferred around, from place to place!”

Folks, her comment stunned me. It sounds to me like she thinks that the Catholic Church has a law or something to that effect.

What should I have said in response? I welcome your thoughts and comments. Thanks very much! ( Hope this is the right forum )
[/quote]

Hi,

I would just ignore her, someone like that is already lost and if she doesn’t stop making those kinds of comments, I’d report her to your boss for religious discrimination.

God bless,

[quote=gettochurch]Hi all. A colleague of mine who is a Nazarene recently said the following (to a group of people during lunch hour)

[/quote]

About one-third of the lawsuits against churchman in the nation for sexual abuse are against Protestant churches. The reason for the difference in rate of litigation – twice as often against the Catholic Church – is that Protestant churches come and go, whereas the Catholic Church has been there for centuries. In other words, we are a big, fat, persistant target.

In fact, the reason why we do not more often hear too many Protestant churchmen say what your colleague from the Church of the Nazareme said is that – shhhhhhh – the Protestant problem is just as big. Because celibacy is not the culprit, having a married minister does not solve the problem at all.

In a sense, the Protestant problem is worse. Our Protestant colleagues are re-writing God’s Holy Word, the Bible. Not only are they placing women in charge of their congregations, an extremely basic violation of the plain-language requirements of Paul, *but they are placing active homosexuals **in charge of *their congregations, so that, in effect, Protestant homosexual ministers and Protestant homosexual priests (and now a Protestant homosexual bishop) are doing that which enrages God in the parsonage with their same-sex love partner, with the approval of the Protestant laity, and then coming over on Sunday and preaching the Word or saying Protestant “Mass” on Sunday!

What our Protestant colleagues are doing is crazily disobedient to God.

[/quote]

Her main problem is that she thinks Catholics are just another denomination. Protestatns are made up of denominations, Catholics are one undivided church.

Next about the abuse issue, the fact is those things happen in ALL churches, the difference is nobody cares what some no name protestant church did. It is either hushed or not headline material.

In a similar situation, I would try to be nice and say “Really? I didn’t hear anything about that, and I’m Catholic and we just don’t agree with what you said. Are you sure this is true, or did you just hear it second-hand?”

:amen:

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.