Truck Drivers?

Are there any truck drivers on this forum? or anyone that works in the trucking industry?

**My dad is, does that count?

Malia**

Sure. Do you know who he drives for?

**A small local company (we are in canada). What is the reason for your interest?

malia

Its hard to put into words actually. I belong to a truck drivers forum (truckingboards.com), but I can’t really relate to people there on a personal level, especially about matters of faith and how it might relate to your job.

I am!

Who do you drive for?

My Brother in law is one. He used to drive for TMC for a while then my niece was born so he went to a local delivery for bricks. He likes it pretty well. Hey, I’m sure its tuff with all the lawsuits and bad drivers out there. Theres probably been numerous times where you see some lady going on her cell not looking where she’s going creating more head for you all.

Anyways welcome to the Catholic message boards. :slight_smile:

I’ve been driving for almost 11 years now and my first two were with TMC. They’re a good company - really nice equipment. A lot of drivers get their start there, get some experience and then move on.

I’ve actually been on the forum for a long time, but now I’ve finally got my own screen name instead of using my wife’s.

My father was a truck driver. He worked for a moving company, moving people all over the US. He’s gone now, but the older I get and the more I grow in my faith I often think about the things he must have faced, being catholic and driving otr.

**Sorry, my dad isn’t Catholic (or even religious) so I never really put much thought into what a Catholic might face in that profession…

As the child of a trucker though I know how tough it is on family life:(.

Malia

I’ve been driving local for the last 2 1/2 years and work days so I’m home every night. Before that I drove nights for 6 1/2 years working about 60 hours a week. The money was real good, but I was totally exhausted at the end of the week and my mental and emotional state were not good. Now I have time for a life, but I still deal with a lot of stress because the day job is very fast paced and I also make a lot less money which creates stress too. Being a Catholic and a truck driver is probably not especially more difficult than being a Catholic in any other job. Truck drivers generally represent a cross section of the American population so you have all kinds of people, but I haven’t really met many practicing Catholics. There is actually one trucking company that has a large picture of St. Michael the Archangel slaying the dragon on the side of their sleeper tractor. Underneath it says, “St. Michael protect our drivers”. I can’t remember the name ot the company though - I think it might have changed names at some point.

Before I started driving I worked for several small engineering companies. One Engineer I worked for was a Catholic, but he treated his employees terribly and I think he ended up going bankrupt.

Thanks for your responses to my post. Drive safely.

Every student wants to build his career with a good job. But getting a job is not very easy. So they need help. If a student tries hard and hard without any help the percentage of getting a job is less than 10 percent. But if he try in online or search in many website it will be easier for him to find a job and getting a good one. The www.TruckingCrossing.com is that kind of site. It wants to help every student to find a job.

For find job you can get in here truck jobs .It is much more suitable than any other site. Every student should get in there.

For a job searcher this site is very suitable. If you are a job searcher you can find a job in here truck driving jobs . It will be very much helpful for a graduation complete student.

This site has also legal jobs. A job finder can find a manager in here. For finding a manager you should go in this link truck driver jobs . It is helpful.
So this site is very helpful and reliable for a job finder. So every job finder should go in there for their job.

How could driving all day be a hard job aside from it being a dangerous job?
I've always thought those jobs were creepy and dangerous. Especially when driving them at night.

Trucking is very much a Hard Job. You asked how could driving all day be hard? Hopefully I can answer some of that.

First driving 11 hours a day and working up to 14 hours a day, drivers are allowed by law to work 14 hours a day, that would be 7 days a week. (how many people work that many hours?) We can drive for 11 hours a day, then working up to 14 hours a day includes fueling, loading and unloading. We can ( and most of us are forced) to work 70 hours per week. How many people do that besides a Trucker?

It can be a very Hard job. We have to watch out for all the cars that seem to forget or don’t even have a clue that we are hauling a Gross Weight of 80,000 lbs. Needless to say this type of weight doesn’t stop on a dime. Many cars love to pass a Semi, then decide for whatever reason to pull right back in front of us and then guess what decide they need that exit right there and hit their brakes…

Other cars seem to think when comming onto the Highway, that They have the right of way. Now mind you I’ll move over to merging traffic when I can…but geeze if someone is in the hammer lane, (passing lane) and I can’t move…by all means…don’t expect that Semi to move over for them, and when they don’t…geeze don’t get mad when you end up on the shoulder, ditch, or under my tandoms. I’m not moving if I can’t. You wouldn’t believe how many times a day this happens to truckers.

Tail Gaters…oh man now this is something that is not only dangoues to the car and everyone in it…but is just plain crazy. If you can’t see the driver in the mirror Trust us, we can’t see you! People love to tail gate…I’ve heard it all…I was trying to save on fuel by drafting the truck, I thought the truck would block the wind, it was snowing so hard I knew if I followed close the trucker would protect me…and the list goes on.

Ever been behind a truck when he/she blows a tire? It’s not pretty if your the car behind me. The tread alone can be blown right though your windshield. That would be 102 lbs of pressure at 55- 70 mph (depending on highway and state) heading your way…guess what can happen to you?

The Stats show that most Semi Car Accidents are the Cars fault or they caused the accident. I don’t say this to defend the Truckers…it’s just a fact.

Truckers are one of the first people to stop and help someone…(how many times do you see a car, stop to help a trucker?) A lot of Truckers will ditch or wreck their rigs…in order to save your life, because you (general terms here) made a mistake with your (again just using general terms here about a car driver) “driving skills”.

Try driving 11 hrs across the nation, seven days a week, a total of 70 hrs a week, you’d be amazed at what you see as a Truck Driver…

As a Catholic, being a Trucker can be hard in the Truck Stops. We get to hear all kinds of language…some very colorful, we get to see all kinds of “sinful” things going on. And through it all our Catholic Faith keeps us going.

What’s so hard about being a Truck Driver??? We get to watch out for all the people out on the road… because Some of them are too busy texing, talking on the phone, ect…to pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel… that’s a lot of people in 11 hrs of driving between 550 and 700 miles a day…

[quote="adelore, post:15, topic:96889"]
Trucking is very much a Hard Job. You asked how could driving all day be hard? Hopefully I can answer some of that.

First driving 11 hours a day and working up to 14 hours a day, drivers are allowed by law to work 14 hours a day, that would be 7 days a week. (how many people work that many hours?) We can drive for 11 hours a day, then working up to 14 hours a day includes fueling, loading and unloading. We can ( and most of us are forced) to work 70 hours per week. How many people do that besides a Trucker?

It can be a very Hard job. We have to watch out for all the cars that seem to forget or don't even have a clue that we are hauling a Gross Weight of 80,000 lbs. Needless to say this type of weight doesn't stop on a dime. Many cars love to pass a Semi, then decide for whatever reason to pull right back in front of us and then guess what decide they need that exit right there and hit their brakes....

Other cars seem to think when comming onto the Highway, that They have the right of way. Now mind you I'll move over to merging traffic when I can.......but geeze if someone is in the hammer lane, (passing lane) and I can't move........by all means......don't expect that Semi to move over for them, and when they don't....geeze don't get mad when you end up on the shoulder, ditch, or under my tandoms. I'm not moving if I can't. You wouldn't believe how many times a day this happens to truckers.

Tail Gaters.........oh man now this is something that is not only dangoues to the car and everyone in it....but is just plain crazy. If you can't see the driver in the mirror Trust us, we can't see you! People love to tail gate......I've heard it all......I was trying to save on fuel by drafting the truck, I thought the truck would block the wind, it was snowing so hard I knew if I followed close the trucker would protect me.....and the list goes on.

Ever been behind a truck when he/she blows a tire? It's not pretty if your the car behind me. The tread alone can be blown right though your windshield. That would be 102 lbs of pressure at 55- 70 mph (depending on highway and state) heading your way......guess what can happen to you?

The Stats show that most Semi Car Accidents are the Cars fault or they caused the accident. I don't say this to defend the Truckers.....it's just a fact.

Truckers are one of the first people to stop and help someone.......(how many times do you see a car, stop to help a trucker?) A lot of Truckers will ditch or wreck their rigs.......in order to save your life, because you (general terms here) made a mistake with your (again just using general terms here about a car driver) "driving skills".

Try driving 11 hrs across the nation, seven days a week, a total of 70 hrs a week, you'd be amazed at what you see as a Truck Driver.........

As a Catholic, being a Trucker can be hard in the Truck Stops. We get to hear all kinds of language....some very colorful, we get to see all kinds of "sinful" things going on. And through it all our Catholic Faith keeps us going.

What's so hard about being a Truck Driver???????? We get to watch out for all the people out on the road........ because Some of them are too busy texing, talking on the phone, ect.....to pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel....... that's a lot of people in 11 hrs of driving between 550 and 700 miles a day........

[/quote]

Oh I forgot, who do I work for? I own and work for "Morningstar Express LLC" before that I use to be a Company Driver, driving their rigs. Now I own the Company and dispatch, and every now and then I leave the office, jump into a truck, giving the driver a paid break at home, and I take a week run.

Adelore thats awesome. I’ll come drive for you if you have an opening in Toledo.

I used to work for a few months at a company which had its own fleet of semi-trucks. I worked in the garage taking care of maintaining these semis. I got to know some of the truckers and the stories they tell are interesting to say the least. A trucker would have to have an almost supernatural patience particularly with the insane drivers on the road. Our roads have become like a demolition derby with the collapse of basic civility in society. This is why I hate to drive.

Before the last two posts, this thread was from SIX years ago…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.