True Love...A Novel Idea

I have been incredibly depressed following the dissolution of my 3-year relationship with my high school sweetheart. I have been numb and devoid of so many normal thoughts and feelings. I blamed all of this on her leaving for another guy and how she treated me, left me by the wayside. Since then I have been leading a life not very Christian-like.

But today for the first time I saw a picture of her and the new guy. She looked so happy. At that moment I realized that I do love her, maybe not in the way I did, but I do love her. And because I do feel that way I want her to have the happiest and best life possible. Even if it is not with me, it’s okay. God has a plan for me, as well as every person on the planet. But true love is wanting what is best for someone. Even though you think that you’re going to lose love for someone, eventually you realize that love remains and that is what truly heals your heart and will let you love again.

all the best,
dxu

It once took me over two years to get over a relationship, so I know where you’re coming from. Take it from me–there are a number of cliches that have a lot of truth to them: one step at a time, one foot in front of the other, time heals all wounds.

You’re in a small, dark tunnel right now, and you may not be able to see the light at the end. Don’t worry–don’t try to think your way out of it, or force your way to happiness again. Just stand tall, recognize the feelings for what they are, and do the time. Pray–even if you don’t have any words. Just tell God what you’re feeling. He’s healing you even if you can’t see it.

Before too long, you’ll wake up in the morning and realize that you’d forgotten to think about her the first thing in the morning.

I remember my first true love!!! He was my best friend, we never dated, but we were head over heels in love. Crazy thing about it is that he fell in love with someone else and we were both torn apart by what to do!!! What do you do when you love two people at once?
We said a novena to St. Joseph and to be honest, by the end of it I was praying that he would go with her. We are still good friends and I look back on the darkness of those days with gratitude, because they taught me to get up and keep going when my world was in shambles. God carries us close to his heart through the darkness. Now I am marrying the man of my dreams and I look back on those days and realize how great and generous God really is!!! Keep plowing through and rest your head on His Heart!!! You are in my prayers!

I feel for you. I’m sort of going through a similar process myself. I was at university already when it started, but I didn’t have any relationship in highschool, so I guess the highschool love factor was somewhat present in it. I realise more and more things now, it’s more obvious that problems existed and that who knows if we wouldn’t have had to break up at a later point. And I wasn’t absolutely happy, either, although I did love that girl a lot. She was my best friend in so many ways. I still miss her. Well, she chose what she did. I’m trying not to do anything stupid and I’ll live. You’ll be better after some time, but I’m not telling you it’s just a natural process - myself I went to church every day for months and prayed a lot. I still get pains on a physical level from that, but I no longer feel like I can’t live without her. I need to deal with this before I’m ready to start anything with someone else, I guess. Oh, but we aren’t talking about me, but about you. :wink: Well, I guess you’ve got to go through the same. :wink:

Welcome!

Let me love you for a second.

First, we remember, God is Love.

I have had many… proper intimate… relationships with women and young ladies. I am married now 6 years. I want you to know that there are a great many women out there who are looking for a good solid reliable man. This is especially true in college, where, so often, they are taken advantage of by man and culture. And I’ve seen women and men who seem to love falling in love more than being in love. So caught up in the excitement that they can’t understand the comfort that time naturally brings, inspite of the loss of some of the initial excitement.

And if nothing else, we remember that while God cannot suffer, he can suffer with:

“Jesus wept” John 11:35

I dont think age or time in life matters I too am going thru this same ordeal I am 41 I am lucky to have her as my best friend still
and thank God everyday for that, Only difference is when your older it generally involves more such as her children whom I also became very attached to and treat as my own.
so hang in there, God will never give us more than we can handle
and has a plan for each and every one of us.
its that thought that gets me thru my days, nights and gives me the drive to wake up every morning…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.