True or false faith/denomination/religion

Hi
Everybody I have met, knowledgeable or un-knowledgable is confident, including myself, that his faith/denomination/religion even agnostics/atheist, is beyond doubt the most truthful. Those we know little they are most confident of the truthfulness of their faith. They won’t bear with the idea that someone else tries to show them another way which is as truthful or even more truthful . I have yet to see somebody who holds that his faith is false. How do you see this phenomenon?
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

The reason why I am so confident with Christianity being the Truth is due to prophecy.

See the following link for more info on prophecy:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1561191&mode=linear#post1561191

Do you mean the phenomenon that no one believes his/her faith is false?

Then why are there so many conversions?

The “phenomenon” is quite simple and Christianity, Catholicism in particular, provides the answer. The answer is that there is only one Truth, and yet we live in a fallen world. As a result people are confused and misled all day long, and while they might be right on certain aspects of the Truth they dont have the full Truth.

Not really… a lot of people are nominal members of some religious group only because they were raised that way. Of course the ones who are most vocal about their stated beliefs (and hence will be the ones you will usually get the opinion of) are naturally going to be the most adamant supporters of those beliefs.

Agreed. If I thought that another belief was more truthful than my current belief then I would convert to that other belief.

I have yet to see somebody who holds that his faith is false. How do you see this phenomenon?

As a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a Christian believed that Christianity was false then they would not be a Christian any more. The same for other religions.

rossum

It is interesting you responded to this thread given what your signature says:
The ultimate truth is that there is no Ultimate Truth.

Hi
Since you are a Catholic, so you must say as you have posted, yet a Protestant would say:
The “phenomenon” is quite simple and Christianity, Protestantinism in particular, provides the answer. The answer is that there is only one Truth, and yet we live in a fallen world. As a result people are confused and misled all day long, and while they might be right on certain aspects of the Truth they dont have the full Truth.
A Buddhis would say
The “phenomenon” is quite simple and Buddhism, Mahayana in particular, provides the answer. The answer is that there is only one Truth, and yet we live in a fallen world. As a result people are confused and misled all day long, and while they might be right on certain aspects of the Truth they dont have the full Truth.
So on and so forth. There is no religion which does not repeat what you have said.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

Hi
I would say emphatically as you have said,the ultimate truth is that there is an Ultimate Truth.
Thanks

Truth can be proven just as a falsehood hiding as truth can be exposed by the light of truth. A true faith can be supported by reason and fact, but a false faith must be excused and logical reason suspended to support it.

If Scientology is true Islam is false. If Atheist is true every other faith is false. There may be some elements of truth in all things, but there is only one Truth. When one truth is weighed against another, the arbiter of Truth is the wisdom, and humility of a person of integrity. Only by allowing the possibility your personal faith is false will you see any truth by risking to lose it all. If lost, it wasn’t True.

So if there is no ultimate truth in Ahmadi, Islam, convert to Catholicism, where as you say, there is no ultimate truth either.
According to your logic you wont be worse off.

Hi
I think I never said that, please get yourself corrected.
Thanks

Hi
One should give equal chance of truthfulness to others, and look into the data being provided by others sincerely for the truth, then would come the necessary humility.
Thanks

I respectfully disagree.

“Immediately the boy’s father cried out and said, ‘I do believe; help my unbelief.’” Mark 9:24

Then compare Jesus Christ and Muhammed. Only one can be and is True. The other must be false.

Both Jesus and Mohammed said many things. On some things they agreed, on other things they differed. If everything that one of them said is true then some of what the other said is true also. The same goes for pretty much any two religions you want to pick: “Love others as you love yourself” - The Buddha.

rossum

What did they agree on? One God? The Virgin birth? Jesus could not speak directly about Muhammed, like Muhammed could about Christ. Muhammed denied everything Christ Is. Though in reality Christ did speak about people like Muhammed. (Matthew 7:15 )

Does it become a matter of faith to accept that Jesus is God, or that He was just a man? Is it a matter of faith alone that Jesus was crucified or that an imposter was killed in His stead? Because Muhammed said Christ was a man of virtue does that mean everything else he said about Christ is also true?

They treated sinners differently; One forgave them, one could do nothing. They treated women differently; One with equality, one in subjugation.
They treated unbelievers differently; One with an offer of Truth, one with force.
They treated war/justice differently; One said not to kill; in the name of God or otherwise, one said to kill in the name of god and the prophet.

Muhammed said he was most like Christ in all humanity in both this world and the next. Nothing could be further from the truth than that statement.

The maxims of Buddah may have some similarity to those of Chrtist, but that does not mean Buddah speaks the same truth nor made the same claim of Authority. Mormons may invoke Christ, but yet deny what Christ established by what Joseph Smith claimed. Islam may claim kinship to Abraham but not much else like travel to Mekka with Ishmael, or who was to be sacrificed; Isaac or Ishmael.

No, a comparrison of any religions founder to each other will define the differences despite any similarity they may share. They cannot be reconciled to be the same truth.

Yes: “La ilah illa Allah…” or “There is no God but God …”

The Virgin birth?

Yes, Moslems accept the virgin birth of Jesus.

Jesus could not speak directly about Muhammed, like Muhammed could about Christ. Muhammed denied everything Christ Is. Though in reality Christ did speak about people like Muhammed. (Matthew 7:15)

If Jesus was God then He was perfectly capable of speaking about Mohammed or anyone else from the future.

Because Muhammed said Christ was a man of virtue does that mean everything else he said about Christ is also true?

Because Muhammed said Christ was not God does that mean everything else he said about Christ is also false? You seem to be agreeing with me that part of what Mohammed said was true - Jesus was indeed a man of virtue.

They treated women differently; One with equality, one in subjugation.

I seem to recall something about women not preaching to men, women not being able to be priests and so forth. Both religions bear the imprint of the times they were founded in.

The maxims of Buddah may have some similarity to those of Chrtist, but that does not mean Buddah speaks the same truth nor made the same claim of Authority.

The Buddha did not claim the same authority as Jesus. There is a lot of similarity in the moral rules given by both, as my previous quote showed.

rossum

Islam denies Jesus as God. Very different.

Yes, Moslems accept the virgin birth of Jesus.

Muslims also accept Jesus gave life to a bird of clay, and that He denied ever claiming to be the Son of God.

If Jesus was God then He was perfectly capable of speaking about Mohammed or anyone else from the future.

If Muhammed was false he would confuse the stories that came long before him- as he did- often.

Because Muhammed said Christ was not God does that mean everything else he said about Christ is also false? You seem to be agreeing with me that part of what Mohammed said was true - Jesus was indeed a man of virtue.

Yes. Every alleged quote, and action recorded in the Koran regarding Jesus is false.

[quote]Say (O Muhammad SAW): “We believe in Allah and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Ismail (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Yaqoob (Jacob) and Al-Asbat (the twelve sons of Yaqoob (Jacob)) and what was given to Moosa (Moses), Iesa (Jesus) and the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between one another among them and to Him (Allah) we have submitted (in Islam).”
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #84)

Muhammed has no authority to make such a claim for he neithe rfollowed the Law of Moses or Christ. The distinction is obvious.
[/quote]

I seem to recall something about women not preaching to men, women not being able to be priests and so forth. Both religions bear the imprint of the times they were founded in.

The imprint of the times had little to nothing to do with why only men are priests, but has everything to do with Islamic treatment of women.

The Buddha did not claim the same authority as Jesus. There is a lot of similarity in the moral rules given by both, as my previous quote showed.

rossum

Muhammed did claim such authority with no justification to do so. The quote proves nothing except that a sound maxim trancends time as only truth can. I do not refute Buddah for saying it, but Buddah never said he was the be all /end all with respect to God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.