True Prophet???

The tenth president and prophet of the LDS Church, Joseph Fielding Smith, said the following: “Mormonism, as it is called, must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground.” (Doctrines of Salvation 1:188)

Deuteronomy 18:22 sets up a test for prophets. If anything they prophesy in the name of God does not occur, that person has “spoken presumptuously” and is not a true prophet. Furthermore, Paul says if anyone preaches another gospel than that which he and the apostles preached, that person should be eternally condemned (Galatians 1:8-9.)

So the question is was Joseph Smith a “prophet”?
Here are some things he prophesied…that where proven in-correct or never occured.
**1.Joseph Smith prophesied that Jesus would return by 1891.(**History of the Church, Vol. 2, p. 182.)
**2. Joseph Smith said that tall men dressed as Quakers live on the moon (**The Young Woman’s Journal, Vol. 3, p. 263)

In defense of the LDS which I dont do often, I think that Quaker quote was taken out of context.
I saw someone say that on another thread.
I will try and find it. Apparently Smith was talking about the moon, or something, in fun.
Let me try and find it.

Here it is …

[quote=Alma147]6 - Joseph Smith said that there are men living on the moon who dress like Quakers and live to be nearly 1000 year…

No he didn’t. That claim showed up over 40 years after Joseph Smith died from a man who claimed to have heard it 50 years earlier as a teenager. I know quite a few teenagers who can’t remember to take out the trash five minutes after they hear it. To recall something as astounding as this fifty years later stretches credibility beyond reason.
[/quote]

ok that still leaves us with the other one;)

To be fair, Early Christian leaders thought for sure the world was going to end in their lifetime. And Paul’s is different from the other Apostles. Hell, galatians is his defence of his own gospel vs. that of the church

Hmm…does that mean that Jesus DID return in 1891 as Smith stated he would? I do not recall early Christians stating in prophecy when the world would end or when Jesus would return…like Smith did!
HE IS A FALSE PROPHET:D

Luke 17:24, 26-27, 30…21:34-36

Matt 24:27; 37-39…13:40-43

Mark 8:38-9:1; 13:24-27, 30

The authors claims that Jesus himself proclaimed the end was near
As to your comment about 1891, so? They probably decided not to take it literally just as Christians with their ever changing date for the end

I think it obvious from numerous OTHER examples that Joseph Smith was a false prophet. The BoM itself, the BoA, some of the prophecies in the D&C and the whole idea that God called him to restore the “true church” speak pretty loudly to me.

Was he a True Prophet?

Nope. He was a man who made up a religion.

Was he a False Prophet?

Truth can not lie.

Was there a need for another Prophet after Jesus?

I think not.

Well, that about sums it up.

:thumbsup: well that about sums it up!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.