Trump administration seen as more truthful than news media: poll

The Trump administration is more trusted than the news media among voters, according to a new Emerson College poll.

The administration is considered truthful by 49 percent of registered voters and untruthful by 48 percent.

But the news media is less trusted than the administration, with 53 percent calling it untruthful and just 39 percent finding it honest.

The numbers split along party lines, with nearly 9 in 10 Republicans saying the Trump administration is truthful, compared with more than 3 in 4 Democrats who say the opposite.

The Emerson poll found that 69 percent of Democrats think the news media is truthful while 91 percent of Republicans consider the Fourth Estate untruthful.

thehill.com/homenews/media/318514-trump-admin-seen-as-more-truthful-than-news-media-poll

From the poll:

The national Emerson College poll was conducted February 5-6 under the Supervision of Professor Spencer Kimball. The sample consisted of only registered voters, n=617, with a margin of error (MOE) of +/- 3.9 percentage points. The national data was weighted by 2016 election results, gender, party affiliation, race, age and region… Data was collected using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only.

Thanks for posting that. The landline thing would cut out most people my age, for sure. I don’t know anyone in my generation who uses a landline.

“Data was collected using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only” – The IVR thing would radically cut the sample size, too. Who on earth can be bothered to answer questions posed by a computerized voice that wants you to press buttons to indicate your response?

How many people responded? I don’t know anyone with a landline.

That’s true, I automatically hang up if it’s a recording.

Apparently they kept on calling until they got 617. If the declination rate gets too high, you have to start wondering about the effect the self-selection has on the results. If they called, say, 3000 numbers and got responses from 617, the group that decided to answer the poll is self-selected and might have a systematic bias toward one outcome or the other. But if you called 650 numbers and got 617 responses, then you would not have to worry so much about self-selection. I don’t know if this particular poll published their declination rate.

That’s a pretty bad sample size, even so, if I remember my econometrics classes correctly.

Given all the fact checking that has gone on I’d have to say that this, qualified as it is along party lines is probably an accurate assessment. However…it proves pretty much nothing since it is opinions which are expressions of how individuals feel and not based on concrete facts (which is the real issue).

Without facts then truth goes down the tube and so fact checking is more useful than a poll like this.

When it comes to the media one should consider the source and even the reporter. I would no more trust Breitbart on so much as a weather report, much less for an unbiased report of anything of importance. The same may well be said of media at the other end of the spectrum as well.

All newspapers and news media should be unwaveringly committed to truth and facts and follow Thomas Jefferson’s wise advice…
“I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.” -Thomas Jefferson

:thumbsup: And if I don’t recognize the number i reject the call.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.