Trump Administration Uses Civil Rights Laws To Protect Pro-Life Health Care Workers

“Nurses and doctors who dedicate their careers to saving lives should not be coerced into helping take lives in abortion or assisted suicide,” said Roger Severino, who heads the Conscience and Religious Freedom Division at HHS. He likens the fight to protect religious freedom to the civil rights era. “America has reached a point where people understand that you should not be forcing others to perform abortions against their will," he also said.

“The Trump administration is seeking to offer protection to health care workers who object to procedures such as abortion or assisted suicide on religious grounds.”

3 Likes

Wonder how the Dem apologists on here will address this one. Probably they’ll just say he doesn’t mean it.

1 Like

I’m lost. I don’t know who Roger Severino is or what kind of background he has in medicine, but as a practicing physician, I have never been “forced” to provide services I don’t believe in. While I believe in a woman’s right to choose, I do not believe in abortion (God gave us all free will, so it is not my place to tell someone what they should do; they must make their own decisions. If God didn’t let us exercise our free will then Adam and Eve never would have eaten from the tree; He would have stopped them from sinning, but alas, that did not happen, and here we are).
During my residency training I was offered the opportunity to train in abortion services and I declined and my decision was not only respected but I was also asked to what extent I would be willing to participate in a patient’s care when it came to managing complications if they should arise.
So I have never been FORCED to provide abortion services nor has my job ever been in jeopardy for not being willing to participate in abortion services.

1 Like

Thanks. The doctors i know have not ever, nor would they ever, perform and abortion; they have strong opinions about those who do.

Perhaps this move by Trump is like the commission to look into the millions and millions of fraudulent votes.

Or maybe it just the kind of thing that @SuperLuigi likes to call this sort of thing virtue-signalling.

1 Like

A preceding poster wrote “I don’t know who Roger Severino is or what kind of background he has in medicine, but as a practicing physician, I have never been “forced” to provide services I don’t believe in.”

However, there is a drive in the U.S to force doctors to perform abortions, see https://catholiccitizens.org/news/77817/cecile-richards-force-christian-doctors-nurses-perform-abortions/

There is a person. But against that we have a battery of existing laws that are listed in the proposal.

medwigel

So I have never been FORCED to provide abortion services nor has my job ever been in jeopardy for not being willing to participate in abortion services.

But what if someone ELSE felt THEY were being COERCED into medical decisions they thought were immoral?

What if medicare told you they will not allow you to be on their re-imbersement roll 10 years from now (or whatever) if you refused to provide “a dignified death” (euthanasia), or a sex-change operation referral for a child, or a contraception prescription for a girl, or whatever?

Just because YOU haven’t had an issue, does not mean you can universalize your experience.

God bless.

Cathoholic

medwigel . . .

While I believe in a woman’s right to choose, I do not believe in abortion (God gave us all free will, so it is not my place to tell someone what they should do; they must make their own decisions.

This has a built-in presupposition that depersonalizes the pre-born baby.

Maybe docs have that kind of autonomy.

What about nurses who get pulled to the Short Procedure Unit, or are told to give the Morning After pill, or pharmacists who would be called upon to sell RU486 or euthanasia poisons?

It’s also my understanding that MDs, PAs and NPs are required in some states to inform an obstetric patient that abortion is an option for some diagnoses?

How about we don’t insult other posters by name in this thread?

There are a number of cases in the U.S. where nurses have been required to perform 

abortions. This in spite of the legal protections which supposedly protect them. Here is one report on this,

at 3-Minute Video: "Nurse Testifies on Being Forced To Do Abortion: 'I Still Have Nightmares.'"

I didn’t bring up these cases involving nurses at the beginning, since this thread concerns doctors. However,

the legal protections for doctors would seem to be inadequate then in their case too.

What on earth are you talking about?
Why do allege that my words were insulting?
Why not respond to the content of my post rather than your perception of my tone.

SL regularly talks of virtue-signalling; I thought it would be good to reference him, with the idea of seeing if he would see virtue-signalling in this gesture.

1 Like

I think it important that these nurses understand the legal protections available to them.

Talking about folks behind their back isn’t very nice

It is not at all behind anyone’s back: when @name is used, the member gets a notification.

1 Like

Well YES finally something positive. Glad if it can be done.

1 Like

Yeah, where was the insult? It wasn’t insulting until it was raised as an issue.

On the other hand,

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.