Trump Administration Will Seek To Limit Green Cards For Immigrants Needing Public Aid

news article

press release

actual proposed rule

As the article itself said, this is not a new law.

When my family immigrated here we had to prove to the US government that we would not be a burden to the public.

Yep. The existing laws require the applicant to prove their means or have a sponsor who will take on that burden. Nothing new.

As with most immigration issues, we just need to enforce our existing rule of law.

Interesting comment in one of the links.

DHS officials said the proposal is not yet final, but the administration is eager to ensure “that foreign nationals seeking to enter or remain in the U.S are self-sufficient.”

Medicaid part D was specifically mentioned. I imagine that some find it interesting to note that drawing upon Medicaid part D means that you are not self-sufficient to the Trump administration. That perspective may illuminate discussions on whether or not it is welfare.

What is dumb about it?

I am not putting forward an argument. I am saying that this law existed back in the day when my family immigrated here.

I did not say anything about being for it or against it, only that this law existed.

Don’t read things into my post that I never said.

I do find the mental gymnastics that some people go through rather amusing. They criticize welfare programs in general, but when someone brings up a program that they think they might benefit from, they argue fiercely that medicare is nothing but a payment for what they are owed because they paid a payroll tax. Of course, no specific numbers are ever used, just a general “I have paid a tax, so others must sacrifice more and more for me”.

I’m having a little difficulty understanding this.

One would not be eligible for Part D unless one was eligible for Social Security Disability or Retirement.
One just now seeking a green card would not need a green card if totally disabled. If he needed a green card and is a legal immigrant, he would not have enough quarters to qualify for SS, either disability or retirement.

So I dont’ see how the applicant could get Medicare Part D in any event.

DVDJS referred to MEDICAID Part D, not MEDICARE.
One can be eligible for both coverage in general, plus congress has approved exceptions that expand coverage for aliens.

From the link in the OP:

The public benefits proposed to be designated in this rule are federal, state, local, or tribal cash assistance for income maintenance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid (with limited exceptions for Medicaid benefits paid for an “emergency medical condition,” and for certain disability services related to education), Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps), institutionalization for long-term care at government expense, Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, and Public Housing. The first three benefits listed above are cash benefits that are covered under current policy.

I should have said Medicaid and the Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy. It also includes SSI.

Will this law be grandfathered for current immigrant, let’s say our immigrant neighbors on Medicaid. I know someone who already has a green card (and has been here for awhile) and is on Medicaid, she needs to be in the program. The connotation of the change can seem frightening because it is connected to legal immigrants and the perception seems that even legal immigrants will be targeted. People seem worried and concerned and I am one of the them.

I am unaware of any Medicaid Part D. Nor am I aware of any reason one would have Medicaid and the Medicare Part D low income subsidy at the same time.

My understanding is congress has enacted exceptions were both are available to some Aliens.

To aliens only?

I must be missing something. Medicaid will pay for just about all medications. If one had Medicaid, I don’t know why one would need Medicare Part D.

As I understand from reading the rule release, the rule would be grandfathered; i.e., the determination of self-sufficiency for a change of status would not consider benefits received before the rule takes effect.

Whew, people are worried about the ramifications of Trump’s immigration policy. That said, I’m starting to understand the point of view of the restrictionists but I think there are still concerns out there. For example there are concerns about racism, about nativism, that immigrants are being singled out and scapegoated. Maybe people of goodwill are disturbed at what they’re seeing, perhaps they even see hate and maybe they have valid points and concerns. For example, I remember reading one argument where someone said why is it that it seems like people with little to no experience to immigrants are so passionate about the immigration issue (like why are you so concerned about it if you never met an immigrant in your life), how would you respond to that concern? Additionally, there are Catholics and people of color due to heritage and history from what I understand relate with immigrants, even if they are undocumented. People who have experiences with racism in their own lives might end up drawing similarities to what they’re seeing and feeling. People are concerned (and perhaps some are people you know), how would you respond to them?

Why such focus on something that is little more than a footnote?

Medicaid is better for some drugs while Medicare is better for other drugs, in terms of coverage. As I read, some Aliens are granted Medicare without meeting the normal requirements.

I see. For whatever it’s worth, I would very much oppose giving aliens, legal or not, benefits citizens do not have.

I can imagine some exceptions, but expect it is then used as a loophole to support people not originally intended.

Example, we intake some refugees who are at risk of death in their home due to political or religious persecution. Protecting this class of people is why we have a refugee program. Then the rules are bent to give them basic medical coverage, and other aliens use the loophole.

it is my understanding that “refugee” status is conferred by the UN; a totally untrustworthy source. I would favor ending all “refugee” entries until this country can enact its own programs for refugees, completely separate from the UN.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.