Trump announces short-term deal to end govt shutdown

Well, that accomplished a lot, now didn’t it?

3 Likes

It certainly does feel like a whole lot of pain for nothing.

4 Likes

When I saw on the news this morning that LaGuardia was cancelling flights due to air traffic controllers not showing up, I thought this might happen sooner rather than later…

2 Likes

Honestly, I did too, but I didn’t think it would happen in a matter of hours.

I think the reporting of this has been atrocious. The president is being maligned for doing something good, and something the Democrats wanted him to do. Well, I am not buying the narrative. The way I see it, Trump was responsible for the shutdown, but he also get sole credit for ending it and getting workers paid.

3 Likes

Life doesn’t work that way. If I take something from you and then give it back to you 35 days later why should I be praised for it? Hardly seems just to praise someone for undoing something they were responsible for.

6 Likes

Pretty much what the Coast Guard families are thinking, too, no?

Actually…yeah! Most of my shipmates understand the need for a border wall, and we see through the pathetic political partisanship of the Democrat leaders.

1 Like

Praise is a rather effective means of getting certain reforms and such from this president. For instance Kim Kardashian and others got him to do some criminal justice reform and pardons.

If you are saying life is not fair, fine. But if Trump is to be blamed for the shutdown, and he is the only one that gives in, it is not justice to give the Democrats, who did not compromise, credit. I say “Democrats”, but I know some Republicans also opposed this wall. In the end, a little compromise might prevent a repeat in three weeks.

1 Like

At the very least no one should gloat over this. Many contractors lost 5 weeks of business.

6 Likes

And no back pay like government workers. And there a far more of us. Not sure why the focus is solely on government employees when the true price is paid by millions of contractors. I’d love for someone to explain that?

3 Likes

Excellent point…Perhaps the President can…Have you written the White House.?..today, for those in favor of his version of border security, he folded like a cheap suit, not gaining a thing, and only making government employees, and yes even contractors, suffer.

Just seems a shame.

2 Likes

Your shipmates might understand but what about their spouses?

1 Like

And I wonder how Mr. Trump’s die hard supporters are going to react. It’s not looking very good:

Ann Coulter: “NO WALL FUNDS. Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States.”

Tucker Carlson: “you know what erodes your popularity with the public? Weakness.”

Lou Dobs: “[Nancy Pelosi] has just whipped the president of the United States.”

Breitbart: “The White House finally caved to Democrats demands despite Trump’s repeated assertions this week that he would not do so.”

The Daily Caller: “TRUMP CAVES. A serious reversal.”

Gateway Pundit: “TRUMP CAVES! Ends Shutdown with NO BORDER WALL — Pelosi’s SECOND BIG WIN This Week.”

He offered a gesture of a 3 week reprieve to come to an agreement. He also said he was going to use his emergency powers if an agreement cannot be reached. Sounds more like an ultimatum and an offering than a capitulation, but as usual, it depends on if you support the wall or not.

I was not a fan of this gesture personally, but I can see why it made sense. But it was predictable that neither side would give him credit or say “good job.” That’s life in politics.

The emergency powers wouldn’t do very much. The land owners whose property along the border would have to be seized through eminent domain will contest this in court where it would no doubt be litigated for a long time. No wall would get built in the next few years.

1 Like

Trump would have been better off signing the continuing resolution that was offered to him last month instead of listening to Ann Coulter and all the others who egged him on and got him to change his mind and refuse that deal and close the government instead. That would have been a “good job”. Not this shutdown.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.