Trump baby blimp makes first appearance in Ireland

Still not overjoyed myself at the use of the Garden of Remembrance for this. That was opened to remember those who fought to gain independence, that includes several family members so I’m never overjoyed to see it used for stuff like this or in these contexts.

The article says they’re doing this in solidarity with those who have been “damaged” by Trump. ISIS would be just about it on that, so I guess this is in solidarity with ISIS. Not a great surprise.

That’s ludicrousness of a high degree Ridge. I actually think the protest are rather farcial and as I’ve indicated don’t love them using this location for it but suggesting the protestors are doing it out of a sense of solidarity with ISIS is just being offensive for the sake of trying to needle people.

3 Likes

Phoenix Park might have been a better spot but that’s so huge they might well have got swallowed up and unless they chose one of the more prominent spot in there they’d attract less attention. The Garden of Remembrance is something of a modern icon and it is fairly obvious it was picked deliberately. It was opened in 1966 by DeValera on the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising. Dev was the last living commandant from Easter Week by that point:-

The statue symbolize the children of Lir and the poem is on the wall behind them, rendered into English it runs thus:-
We saw a Vision

In the darkness of despair we saw a vision. We lit the light of
hope and it was not extinguished. In the desert of discouragement
we saw a vision. We planted the tree of valour and it
blossomed.

In the winter of bondage we saw a vision. We melted the snow
of lethargy and the river of resurrection flowed from it.

We sent our vision aswim like a swan on the river. The vision
became a reality. Winter became summer. Bondage became
freedom and this we left to you as our inheritance.

O generations of freedom remember us. The generations of
the vision.

Liam Mac Uistin

It’s also engraved in French and English as well on brass plaques. Given the spot’s association this may explain why I’m not overly keen on protests there. That said so long as people behave themselves and don’t leave mess I’d much rather allow it than disallow it.

Returning on topic 3,000 people is a fairly large number, but some of the protestors as with the protest other day are engaging in trying to get attention brought to bear upon situations the long predate Trump. The Shannon rendition flights I mentioned are a very, very sore subject as many people feel they violate Irish neutrality.

What’s the deal with the upward flying geese? I saw a similar sculpture in the Prime Minister’s office.

They are Swans. Are you familiar with the story of the Children of Lir? If not:-

1 Like

Point is Trump hasn’t hurt anyone but ISIS,so why the protest🤷🏻‍♀️

1 Like

Not that isn’t the point at all. The point is to make a ludicrous comparison and suggest protestors in Ireland are onside with ISIS.

Actually his foreign policy has been pretty non-interventionist - on that score I think Trump has more sense than George W. Bush had.

1 Like

Agreed, Bush seemed to get the US enmeshed in foreign conflicts that it couldn’t get out of. I don’t really see the point overall in this whole protest but the people there obviously have their own reasons to be there, everything from supporting Palestine to opposing what they see as prejudice etc. etc. I doubt very much whether anyone is there because they are big fans of ISIS. I’d say that the protestors are likely to be a similar mix to London, student radicals and idealists and so forth.

Of course it is. It was meant to be. And since the balloon people are never going to see my post, I’m not needling them and it’s harmless. I will admit that if I had the opportunity to needle them I probably would because I think they deserve it. But that’s not what we have here.

I like my flag, I also like other types of flags. They can prove most useful at times.

This is absolutely beautiful! No demonstrations should be allowed in its space unless they are somber and in appreciation of the expressed memorial. All behavior must be respectful and security should be present to protect.

For once we are in agreement. I feel demonstrations cheapen this space usually. It’s not the spot for it. It would be like holding them at Arlington or the Cenotaph. Not appropriate.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.