Trump campaign chief Steve Bannon is registered voter at vacant Florida home

In today’s Guardian:

Donald Trump’s new presidential campaign chief is registered to vote in a key swing state at an empty house where he does not live, in an apparent breach of election laws.

Stephen Bannon, the chief executive of Trump’s election campaign, has an active voter registration at the house in Miami-Dade County, Florida, which is vacant and due to be demolished to make way for a new development.

“I have emptied the property,” Luis Guevara, the owner of the house, which is in the Coconut Grove section of the city, said in an interview. “Nobody lives there … we are going to make a construction there.” Neighbors said the property had been abandoned for several months.

Bannon, 62, formerly rented the house for use by his ex-wife, Diane Clohesy, but did not live there himself. Clohesy, a Tea Party activist, moved out of the house earlier this year and has her own irregular voting registration arrangement. According to public records, Bannon and Clohesy divorced seven years ago.

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/26/steve-bannon-florida-registered-vote-donald-trump

Donald Trump has called for monitors to watch voting sites to prevent voter fraud and here it appears that his own campaign CEO, Stephen Bannon, has himself committed voter fraud.

I wonder if we’ll see a response from a Trump supporter that doesn’t mention Hillary or the Democrats. Trump can contradict himself in the same sentence and he won’t lose supporters. It’s very strange.

That’s the second day in a row Bannon has been attached to negative revelations. Question is, how long until Trump cuts him loose?

Depending on the state, he has time to change his voter registration address in time to
vote in November.
Here in Texas, we run into voters who have changed their address. In early voting, they
really have no problem if they are still in the county, they just get a ballot for the district
where their registration is. On the actual election day, they have to go to their precinct of
record, or vote a provisional ballot.

The problem is that Mr. Bannon appears to have been registered at a home in which he never resided.

Election officials in Miami-Dade make clear to prospective voters that they are required to actually live in the county and to use their home address in election paperwork. “You must reside in Miami-Dade County,” their website states. It adds: “When you register to vote, an actual residence address is required by law.” A county spokeswoman did not respond to questions relating to Bannon’s situation.

In my state, residence is a matter of intent, as long as I don’t do something contrary to it like get a drivers’ license in some other state or register to vote there. There are a lot of people FROM here who no longer LIVE here, but still want their residence to be here. There are people who have voted absentee for years, and nobody objects to it.

Of course no one objects since the absentee votes are likely not counted. That’s an exaggeration but I once voted absentee by paper ballot since I had moved out of my voting district (not even a different state) and then went to the polling district to inquire about how my vote was tabulated and where it was filed. The person in charge pointed to the garbage pail.

In some states such as California, the majority of voters now vote with absentee ballots. And it’s possible to check online to see if your ballot was counted since each ballot has a tracking number on it.

Yep. I can’t wait to vote in November’s election… next month :wink:

Yes, I agree. But personally, I really like going to my polling place on election day.

Why would Trump can someone with so much in common with himself?

Sure people object…Republican object if those vote for Democrats, and Democrats object if those vote for Republicans! When it comes to politics, we’re a nation of whiners!

He’s done so several times so far. :shrug:

UPDATE:

Steve Bannon moves Florida voter registration to home of Breitbart writer

Donald Trump’s campaign chief has moved his voter registration to the home of one his website’s writers, after the Guardian disclosed that he was previously registered at an empty house in Florida where he did not live.

Stephen Bannon is now registered to vote at the Florida house of Andy Badolato, who reports for Breitbart News and has worked with Bannon in the past on the production of political films.

According to public records, Badolato, 52, and two of his adult sons are also registered to vote at the property, which he co-owns with his ex-wife.

A spokeswoman for Bannon, a spokesman for Trump, and Badolato did not respond to emailed questions about whether Bannon lives at the single-family house, which is listed as his residence on his new voter registration record in Sarasota County.

Alexandra Preate, a spokeswoman for Bannon, said earlier in an email that “Mr Bannon moved to a different residence in Florida”, repeating a statement about the issue that was previously released by Trump campaign spokesman Jason Miller.

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/26/steve-bannon-florida-voter-registration-home-breitbart-writer

[Hyperlinks not included]

Could this be why Breitbart is so concerned about voter fraud? :stuck_out_tongue:

So he moved his registration in a state he doesn’t live in from a house he doesn’t live in, to a house he doesn’t live in… :doh2:

And we’re supposed to trust these guys want to clean up voter fraud? :confused:

Rick Hasen at Election Law Blog says in regards to the Guardian article regarding Bannon moving his registration, “This new revelation will prompt questions as to whether Bannon actually spends time at Badolato’s home and considers it his domicile.” - electionlawblog.org/?p=85905

According to A J Delgado, she visited Steve Bannon at the house cited in the Guardian:

.@guardian “Bannon never appeared @ the house, said the neighbors.” What neighbors did you speak to??? I visited Steve there MULTIPLE times.

twitter.com/ajdelgado13/status/769151859130966017

I know the house well – it has a white theme inside, glass doors, and a small but well manicured lawn in the back.

twitter.com/ajdelgado13/status/769152281568681984

If he wasn’t living there, funny, he sure had a LOT of his stuff there for a LONG time!

What a factually inaccurate hit-piece, @Guardian.

twitter.com/ajdelgado13/status/769152852535021568

Hi @Guardian: Can you please refer the editor of that piece to my tweets? I believe the writers/editor should issue a retraction.

twitter.com/ajdelgado13/status/769153906383302656

The Guardian article says, “it is not clear that Bannon is actually entitled to vote in Florida” - but is it also not clear that he is not not entitled to vote? Time will tell if further information comes forward to confirm if he committed voter fraud or not.

No doubt I’m registered multiple places. When I was in college, I was registered to vote in that town. I then moved to CA for a few years after graduation, and registered there. I think moved to the Seattle area and registered (and voted there). I now life in Idaho and am registered (and have voted) here. I never notified any of the precincts when I left.

So, I guess that makes me a potential perpetrator of voter fraud. :rolleyes:

I believe CA removes you if you don’t vote in the Presidential elections. So no worries there.

Depends which party/candidate for whom you intend to vote. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.