Trump campaign manager will not be prosecuted

These charges were always a joke.

While the bar for battery is low (unwanted touching), any defense lawyer could show she gave consent by her actions (crushing the candidate, in a crowd, against security).

For an analogy, you can’t file for battery if you jump into a mosh pit and are then pushed. You’ve consented to contact by your actions. Similarly, unwanted touching on the sports field may earn someone a foul but they’d have to through a punch before ‘battery’ might come into play.

Trump campaign manager will not be prosecuted, sources say

Reporter who accused Corey Lewandowski of battery may still pursue defamation case.

A Florida prosecutor has decided not to prosecute Donald Trump’s campaign manager for battery after a March run-in with former Breitbart reporter Michelle Fields, sources with knowledge of the situation told POLITICO.

The decision not to press charges against Corey Lewandowski is scheduled to be announced on Thursday afternoon by Palm Beach County State Attorney David Aronberg.

Fields may still pursue a defamation case against Lewandowski, a source said.

Fields filed a police report last month after Lewandowski grabbed her by the arm and moved her out of Trump’s way following a press conference at Trump National Gold Club in Jupiter. She said he left bruises on her arm. Police later charged Lewandowski with simple battery, releasing video from surveillance cameras that shows Lewandowski reaching for and grabbing Fields.

Aronberg would not comment, but in a POLITICO interview last week, he pointed out that Jupiter police had a low “probable cause” standard to cite Lewandowski for battery. But the responsibility for moving forward with a full-blown prosecution rested with Aronberg’s office, which had to consider whether a crime occurred and whether they believed a jury of Floridians would prosecute.

“We have a higher standard to go forward with a prosecution,” he said.

Fields would not comment on the record. Lewandowski could not immediately be reached for comment.

Many lawyers said they just didn’t think jurors would think of this case as a battery, even though it met the technical threshold for the crime under Florida law, which essentially defines battery as unwanted touching.
. . .

The depth of downright dirty tricks that we are seeing take place is nothing to what is going on that we do NOT see.

How much was involved in this truly despicable attempt to legally harm another? The primary perp, one co-worker, and a politically entrenched local justice system. The damage that was heaped on the campaign manager and, of course, the big target for refusing to cave in to false accusations can’t be measured.

At least the false charge player paid with her job and the co-worker that assisted her. Its really surprising that the prosecutor decided there wasn’t sufficient evidence. What that really means is: there wasn’t ANY evidence!

:thumbsup: This had to be one of the stupider reporter complaints. She is lucky the Secret Service didn’t arrest her.

I posted the following on the trump thread:

Some of us here on the forum can now feel vindicated. Cory was innocent.

But wait, Michelle Fields still wants to file a defamation law suit against him. Shouldn’t it be the other way around???

Michelle won’t quit until she’s totally, utterly and completely humiliated herself.

Michelle Fields should be disqualified to ever work in the media again. She is totally untrustworthy.

I just hope she never goes shopping on the day after Thanksgiving.

Didn’t trump show strength and integrity by standing up for his manager while everybody ganged up on them? Didn’t Cruz show his nasty character by chiming in and condemning cory and the violent campaign trump has run?

cruz: of course cory should be fired.

townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2016/03/29/ted-cruz-of-course-id-fire-corey-lewandowski-if-he-were-my-campaign-manager-n2140805

“Of course. Look, it shouldn’t be complicated. The members of the campaign staff shouldn’t be physically assaulting the press," Cruz said.

“It’s consistent with the pattern of the Trump campaign. … A campaign built on attacks, on insults," he added.

Michelle Fields to Pursue Civil Action Against Trump and His Campaign Manager for Defamation

theblaze.com/stories/2016/04/13/michelle-fields-to-pursue-civil-action-against-trump-and-his-campaign-manager-for-defamation/

I want to see the police photos of her “bruises”. :ehh:

The campaign manager did nothing wrong.

I am one of those people who bruise easily. A dirty look can cause a bruise. Okay, that may be a bit of hyperbole. But not by much. Which may be why I have had suspicions about her story from the beginning. And I am not a Trump supporter.

:thumbsup: And I’m not even a Trump supporter! But the reporter was in the wrong in this case.

Cruz is a nasty person. It’s to be expected of him. I’m not a Trump supporter, but I don’t think he’s nasty. I do support him when he’s in the right, and he was in the right here.

It is true - in the present moment of his campaign manager being put in an amazingly ambushed position, Trump did not back off from the media frenzy and clearly defended his guy! And he gave his punch back harder - that is a very honorable character trait IMO.

That false future law suit will loose. Even her employer refused to go along with her game. Employer and employee relationships are mostly kept from exposure but IMO that is why she was relieved of her job.

She might get hired by MSNBC.

Has anybody heard an apology or anything close to it from those who insisted cory was guilty and should have been fired? Anywhere?

I think they are doubling down and funding her defamation lawsuit.
Then when that flops, they’ll just say this is all old news.

breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/14/greta-van-susteren-anyone-media-telling-michelle-fields-prosecute-claim-using/

From Greta:

"Anyone encouraging Michelle Fields to bring a civil law suit is not doing her a favor. She does not want to take the stand in a civil case, subject to rigorous cross examination, that is likely to be on television to discuss a case that the DA won’t prosecute because he does not believe the evidence shows assault. Yes, the burden of proof is less in a civil case, but she is just not going to win and it will be expensive and a heartache. Even if one can win, it is not always worth it.

Anyone encouraging this young woman to bring a lawsuit is irresponsible to her."

Does Michelle even have any true friends who will tell her the truth?

That just means she’s in line for a primo MSNBC gig.

Maybe so. I think she’s finished on Fox Business, where she appeared regularly as a commentator on economic affairs and the stock market. There has to be quite a bit of belief in those people to keep the program credible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.