Trump cancels London trip, blames Obama administration

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-cancels-london-trip-blames-obama-administration/ar-AAuAbJj?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

At some point he has to own it…

At least he didn’t blame Hillary.

1 Like

Because, of course he does. :rofl:

Don’t you read your links before posting?

He said he didn’t want to cut the ribbon on the new embassy, the purpose of the trip if he went now.

He says we sold the old embassy for a pittance and then wasted $1.5b on the new embassy.

2 Likes

Yes I read the link. Did you read the tweet Blaming Obama. That was my point…
“Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”

1 Like

Yeah right! Not!

Well, that’ll save us from a lot of riots.

Just to add that it was the Bush Administration who decided on the move and the US didn’t own the US Embassy, the Duke of Westminster did, the US rented it.

1 Like

Well, maybe it was a bad deal. I don’t claim to know real estate but the price of the new embassy does seen high.

Bush may have initiated the move but the obama admin sold the old embassy and built the new one.

1 Like

They didn’t own it, it was rented.

the new embassy was funded by selling off US owned properties in the UK, i don’t know the specifics

Whether Trump understands it or not isn’t important - what is important is that we’re going to avoid riots.

National security price is not cheap & it was Bush Administration.

The truth is that Trump didn’t want to watch massive protests from the UK citizens. They told him it’s coming if he decides to show up so he ended up like a :chicken: in the end.

The embassy was just opened, which means it was built under the control of the Obama admin, they would own the 1.5b final cost

Obviously, since it’s an American issue, I really couldn’t care less but I expect the whole question of cost and the reasons for it could be a little bit more complicated than slogans might indicate.

He thinks an embassy is a hotel?

What about the personnel? The ambassador, staff etc? No support from their boss.

1 Like

I expect Trump has more experience with building projects than anyone on this board and an Embassy is much like a combined hotel/office building.

Why shouldn’t a boss be critical of job performance when it is sub-par?
That was one of Obama’s key weaknesses. For example Sebelius should have been put out the door well before the ACA rollout completely flopped and was several multiples over-budget.

With security and data systems totally unlike commercial hotel and office buildings.

1 Like

Undoubtedly there are significant differences, but my guess is that, e.g., Trump Tower’s security and data systems are state of the art.

For commerce. Not for statescraft.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.